IGNORED

Goin to look at a 240z tomorrow =)

BTF/PTM

The car is probably salvageable, but $3500 is WAY too much money. It has some serious rust issues, some of which (passenger dogleg, for example) appear to have been just puttied and painted over. The previous repairs (passenger floor, right frame rail, driver's dogleg, rear valance) appear to be pretty half-a$$ed.

For $3500 in California, you should be able to buy a car with far less rust, and in better overall condition. I'd recommend some patience and that you pass on this one.

sigh...ok, so it looks like a lot of what i thought was bad paint is actually putty and rust cover-up. Maybe I just wanted to believe it was better than it was. Thanks for the help yet again, guys, this thread definitely saved me a lot of headache and potentially my life if that fabricated frame rail would have gone out.

Hey Rich and others on this post. I've had a few PM's with Andy regarding his car search. I wrote him earlier and told him that I didn't think he'd find a Z without issues (some rust, cracked dash, light to medium mechanical problems) in the $3000-$3500 range. Just curious for your opinions. I thought they might help Andy.

Rich, I know you've bought two Z's recently and I've seen your first silver Z which is very nice. Can Andy get something like it in this price range?

I may not be the best guide here, because I've been more into the show quality Z's and VZ's.

Thanks for your opinions. I hope Andy checks in and sees them.

Bob

I hope you got your deposit back.... even that may have been too much for this car.

$500.... for parts.... to sell on the East coast.

Both sugar scoops show cracks, both rockers show damage, complete rear end is one big bondo swab, interior is ... garbage. Cleanest part seemed to be the engine bay, and that has overspray.

In a nutshell, this is someone's high school auto shop class project.... and he got a C-.

E

He can find that kind of Z easy, just stay off ebay for the most part and hit up Craigslist. You'll see Z's worth five to six thousand selling for three to four. It all comes down to a person who simply wants to sell or someone who don't really know what they have. For example last month I seen a low miles, super clean, one owner 1979 Silver 280ZX 5 speed with Red interior being sold for $1,000 ! Can't guarantee a non cracked dash though :) .

Edited by WingZr0

Rich, I know you've bought two Z's recently and I've seen your first silver Z which is very nice. Can Andy get something like it in this price range?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, the first silver ('71 240Z) sounds like exactly what he is looking for. The guy was originally asking $4500, but took $3200.

The only rust issue was a quarter sized rust hole in the passenger floor pan and two minor rust patches near the rear dog leg. I will be welding those up soon here (before paint), but no big deal. The frame rails were dented but no rust and in reasonable shape. The battery tray was clean.

The engine is a 260Z motor with high compression pistons that had just 5K miles on it. Still had cross hatching on cylinders when I popped the head. It also has a 5 speed trans and LSD, suspension package, Konig Rewinds, racing seat and racing wheel. All in very descent shape. The interior also was very nice. The guy also tossed in some beautiful stock seats, steering wheel and other parts.

The silver paint was faded, but I will be painting that here shortly. Now that I have the '73 (with flat tops!) running well, I will put the '71 in the garage and start stripping parts, removing motor and glass, welding holes and sanding smooth. Should take me about month. I will have Lance in OC do the paint for me.

Anyway, I am very happy with the '71. It was a very good deal and better than a lot of what I am seeing out there now.

As always, PATIENCE is the key.

Rich

I did get my deposit back, I truly believe the owner didn't realize the car's condition, and I'm vouching for his honesty on the issue because he was honest enough to mail my deposit back to me so i could save the four-hour drive and fuel cost. Anyway...

I'll toss in a few points of what I'm looking for here too while I'm typing. I wrote a lot of this to BobC in regard to his question on whether my budget will work. Here goes:

- I completely understand that a 100% maintenance free z car is out of the question without getting ridiculous on the price.

- my budget can be substantially more than 3k; I was hoping to find my starting platform for about that price. See below.

- I completely understand that with 3k or there abouts I'm not going to find a car that doesn't require some sort of work and refurb.

- My goal is to start with a complete car that, even if it does have some of the tell-tale rust, has a sound frame and unit body that isn't going to disintegrate on me to the point of being unsafe as I get the thing running well and back to an enjoyable drivable state. Basically, if sheet metal will need replacement in the next few years as I plan for it and save for it, I'm alright with it if it means I can still continue to improve the car's drivability. Hopefully that makes sense...

- I'm ok with a car that maybe has an engine that won't start or even that needs a rebuild. That's the kind of work I enjoy most about a project car - engine/power train/suspension is my cup of tea.

- I don't plan on building a z with a 100% accurate everything. It will always have a straight 6 and one of the various interchangeable transmissions and thus always be a Datsun at heart, but things like racing seats, performance engine internals/carbs and suspension upgrades are a definite. Details like correct seats, flawless interior and correct carburetors aren't a big deal to me as I look for a car.

- Regardless of what color it is, it will eventually get repainted (properly) as I continue the project, but that will be much later, after I have a happily drivable car. Cosmetics, like flawless paint or even not original paint as long as the more recent paint isn't a result of a cover-up, are secondary as long as the above mentioned sheet metal is sound enough for me to have a working platform to start with.

- and a final point, I'm not opposed to a 260z or even a 280z if it's not newer than '75 so the smog exemption still holds. Oh, and no 2+2 cars.

I hope that helps a bit, I know everyone's taste is different so i figured I'd lay my own tastes out. Thanks for everyone's feedback, this board has already saved me tons of trouble!!

Edited by BTF/PTM