IGNORED

How do you modify your S30?

Arne

How do you modify your S30?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How do you modify your S30?

• I don't. Factory stock is where it's at!
    • Period correct mods only. Needs to be a '70s showpiece.
    • Period where it shows, but modern stuff where hidden.
    • Period or modern, who cares? Whatever makes it faster/better!
    • Modern all the way! Bring that classic into the 21st century!

I thought this might prompt some interesting discussion.

With my current red car, I'm pretty firmly in the "period-where-visible, but modern-where-hidden" camp. Either type, modern or period, I try to do without permanent changes to the car, so they can be reversed if that should ever seem desirable.

In my current condition, all of the visible mods are either true-period parts (Appliance wheels, Cibié H4 lights, Pioneer Supertuner radio and Monza rear exhaust), or period-style or period reproductions built recently (my Spook and the just-installed Bolder Tint sunshade).

Less visible mods are the lighting relays, Pertronix, ZX alternator, RT-diff-mount and Kenwood 5 1/4" speakers. The KYBs and Euro springs also.

Better is that it's all pretty much reversible, without traces. (Other than the holes in the valance for the spook.)

And it's fun!

Honest, now, my Z is stock. ;-)

Stock in the sense that the body is all original. Stock in the sense that all parts and pieces installed over the years (except the airdam, spoiler, Pertronix and Toyota brakes) were readily available through Datsun dealers. Interpart suspension and suspension performance pieces, camshaft, Mikuni carbs, etc. provide added performance without being overtly obnoxious.

She ain't the prettiest girl at the party, but she always goes home with me. <3

For me, acceptable changes are for comfort, convenience, style, and safety. I added AC, a BRE front spoiler and headlight covers when my Z was about a year old and have recently changed to 15 inch wheels, a five speed, and am working on installing BMW seats.

The nice thing about the Z hobby is that there are owners who find the car to be just fine as it left the factory and others who will replace anything that can be unbolted. There's room for everyone. Not all automobile enthusiast groups are as tolerant.

Dennis

I am going with the ever so slighly modified version for my '77.

I just swaped out the rear tail lights this week for the "euro" amber lenses. The chrome surround was peeling in the corners so I sanded it all down including the finisher, satin black on the finisher, gloss black on the surrounds. I will have the s/s window trim powder coated black as well as the 240 bumpers I put on. Front spoiler and Konigs round out the exterior mods.

Suspension, Tokico Illuminas, poly bushings, Eibachs, Toyota calipers and Daves version of the R/T mount.

Interior, gutted and doing the Dynamat, seats redone with early version with the grommets ( I always liked those), new wheel, Indiglo guage faces and an upgraded stereo.

All in all, still pretty stock looking but a bit different to be a bit different.

Oh, and the all important 3rd brake light from Dave for safety.

Oh, and the all important 3rd brake light from Dave for safety.
Dave's third brake light (coming soon) will be the only easily spotted non-period mod to my car. In one way, I hate to do it. But I'd hate to have some bozo in a big SUV rear end me even worse...

I chose to follow the "Period where is shows, and modern where it goes" model. Simply said, my goal is to preserve the classic looks, lines, and upgrade those components which enhance the performance, reliability, safety and enjoyment I derive from the car. I'm trying to resist the urge to do a motor swap and keep the L6 as long as I can because I love the sound and the grunt, but those S13 turbo swaps are really making it difficult stay the course. LOL

So far I've replaced the springs with Tokico reds, installed poly bushings all around, upgraded the brakes with Toyota S13W calipers and 84' 300ZX vented rotors up front, and 240SX calipers and 84' 300ZX rotors with MM bracket in the rear, SS braided brake lines, 77' 280Z 5spd, R200 3.90 diff swap, 280ZX Dizzy, MSD 6A Igniition and MSD Blaster coil, Taylor plug wires, Momo Monte Carlo Zebrano wood steering wheel, gold Konig 15x7 wheels, 225x50x15 tires, period ST front and rear sway bars. Still sitting on the bench is the RT diff mount, OEM headlight covers, and full PDK Fabrication strut brace system front and rear, 300ZXT CV axles with MM billet stub axle flange on the way, hopefully.

Edited by =Enigma=

I voted who cares, but I guess that's not really true. I went with 16" wheels which are modern-ish, but otherwise I like period correct where it shows. 16" wheels are not really period correct, but tire selection drove my decision more than the desire for 16's. I have no problem with fiberglass or carbon fiber replica 240 bumpers, but I don't really like the style of the MSA type two front and rear bumpers. They give the S30 a look that is too modern.

Under the body, I don't really care. Modern EFI systems, billet suspension components, and modern seatgs are all cool by me.

Dave's third brake light (coming soon) will be the only easily spotted non-period mod to my car. In one way, I hate to do it. But I'd hate to have some bozo in a big SUV rear end me even worse...

Arne,

Dave sent me on of these a couple weeks ago, I highly recommend it. Looks to be very well made with everything you need for the install. I wont put mine in until after paint since I will be removing glass but I'll feel much better with it back there.

I guess this should sum up my opinion on mods:

1972 240Z(G) 3.2L w/triple 44mm Mikunis, 3/8-inch horns, K&N filter, AZ 6-qt oil pan, AZ radiator, Coolflex hoses, TWM cold air box, MSD6LA, Pertonix, Magnecor 8mm Comp wires, NGK-B8S plugs, coated 6-1 header, 2.5 exhaust, Sebring Tuner muffler, one wire GM 100 amp alternator, gear reduction starter, kill switch, '83 5-spd, Quaife R200 w/3:90 diff, Ron Tyler diff mount, 300ZXT CVs, 4-piston Wilwoods w/12.5-inch rotors front, 240sx rears w/brembo rotors, SS lines, adjustable prop valve, 16X8 BBS wheels, 245X45 Yokohoma tires (2.5 neg camber F/R), TechnoToyTuning T/C rods, 1-inch front sway bar, PDK front strut bar, poly bushings, Tokico HTS shocks, GC coil-overs w/250F-275R springs, camber plates, corner balanced, rollbar, Cobra seats, SafeQuip 5-pt harnesses, Grant wheel, Hella horns, PIAA fog lights, H4 headlights w/harness upgrade, g-nose, BRE-style rear spoiler, Nissan gun-metal gray w/10% more flake.

Yeah, Cibiés are not much imported into the USA anymore, so they are difficult to find. Daniel Stern imports them, but in very small volume so they cost considerably more than Hellas, for example.

The set that I have are at least 25 years old, judging by what I believe are date codes on the back side. I actually bought them from another member here who replaced them with a pair of clear lens MSRs.

Prior to the Cibiés, I was using Neolites. They are low-cost H4s made in India. Not as good as the Z-Beams in light output, but they have the advantage of a convex lens face and some of them are patterned similar to the Cibiés.

http://www.classicgarage.com/7rounheadwit.html