IGNORED

Nissan 370Z Meets Datsun 240Z

Mike

I never cared for the 350Z...but the 370 is growing on me and I would love to have one. However, now that I'm retired and on a fixed income, that ain't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

That's OK, if my 240Z has been good enough for the last 37 years - it should do me for whatever time I have left (or at least as long as I can get 93 octane).

I went by my local Nissan Dealer today to pick up a couple special orders items from the parts department for the '72 and they had a Nismo and a Convertable 370 in the showroom. I told them my '72 would look great between them.

If the 370 came in all wheel drive I would buy one, butit's just not practical enough for me in my neck of the woods in Western NC as an everyday driver. This snow is killing me and yep, it's snowing outside again tonight.

If you take a very 'open' view of the 370Z, it kind of looks like the 240Z.

There's a sharpish thing wrapping around the chin area that "kind of" resembles the bumper on a 240Z, even two things a little like the two over-riders. The headlights are a little more closer to the position the scoops are on a 240Z, but they don't look like scoops. The rear quarter-windows are the most best-resembling thing.

I think it's the way the rear wheels are so far back and the front wheel so far forward, the oversize rims, the vertical door handles, and the big, open mouth that spoil it for me.

fwiw...

I have to admit I like both cars, but still am partial to the 240. They just have more character IMHO.

I still wonder though if they will ever do something like that 240z concept from a few years ago. The "retro" cars are still moving really well, and an updated, modern version of the long nose body style would be pretty cool..

post-20840-14150809913096_thumb.jpg

Nice shoot Rich, I know it wasn't easy but it is nice to have your car in pictures that will be around for years to come. The 240 shined through as it as does. We should have 40th birthday bash at the Stone Brewery for your baby and all our Z cars. We will need a reservation...last night over an hour wait.

The long wheelbase of the 370Z still makes it look like a squatting TOAD. :)

Exactly how I feel. I have had 240z's since I bought one new in 1972. Nissan is just like Ford with the Mustang,Chevrolet with the Camaro, and Dodge with the Challenger. You will never make them better than the original's. All of these cars have great things about them, but please don't compare them to great cars that were and that still are. :disappoin

I still wonder though if they will ever do something like that 240z concept from a few years ago. The "retro" cars are still moving really well, and an updated, modern version of the long nose body style would be pretty cool..
That "concept" had no connection to Nissan. It was done by a talented independent designer as a "what if". Don't expect to ever have it see the light of day.

I like the 370Z, I bought the Sport Model with the Rev-matching 6 speed. It looks a lot better than the 350Z and is styled more like the 240Z. The 370Z is the closest thing you can get to a 240Z with "real" good working A/C. It rides quite firm for a new car (which I like) vs. my G35 Sedan. Each car has its purposes and thus I don't compare them against each other because they all shine in their own right. The attached picture from left to right is my wife's Z, my Z, the 370Z, my daugther's Z and my son in-law's Z.

post-4128-14150809915386_thumb.jpg

The performance wasn't dissapointing to me. A V8 would change the car. It would become heavier and more 'Corvette-ish' which, IMO, is not the market Nissan is aiming for. At roughly 3300 lbs. and with that 350 hp version of the VQ37VHR, it will, at very least, run with and, in some cases, outrun many V8 cars.