IGNORED

Tell me about the Series 1 Bumper "Override" Bar

auzziez

As for the reference to the over-rider bars being mostly decorative, the same statement applies to the bumpers. That was true of nearly all cars sold in the U.S. from the mid 1960's until 1974. (When the dreaded 5 MPH bumpers were required by law.)

I never liked the mandated "bullet proof" bumpers, but at least they cut down or eliminated the costs associated with minor collisions. The early bumpers offered no real protection from anything.

Nissan had optional equipment for the S30 from day one, but Datsun USA bought the rights to the AMCO line which did include some aftermarket manufactured Nissan Ltd. options.

As I understood it - Nissan signed a non-exclusive OEM supplier agreement with AMCO to supply several of their accessory items that applied to the Nissan/Datsun line of vehicles. Under that agreement AMCO was free to continue to sell their products in the "after-market".

These AMCO manufactured products, under the OEM agreement were packaged in Nissan/Datsun branded containers by AMCO and delivered to the Nissan National Parts Department. In turn distributed to the Authorized Datsun Dealers. The Dealers then installed them on cars and/or sold them over the Dealership Parts Counters.

I'd be interested to know what "Nissan Ltd. options" AMCO manufactured {copied?} beside the Passenger Side Foot Rest {passenger side being for the Right side here in the US}. It was somewhat the same, but not identical to product sold in Japan.

I have a set of the towel bars, foot rest, clip-on visor mirror and luggage bar.

I have: The Front Guard, Rear Guard Rail, 240Z Shade Kit, 240Z Side Strip Kit {black}, 240Z Floor Mats, Luggage Rack, Parcel Bar, Vinyl Shift Knob, Dual Racing Mirrors, Arm Rest and A/C.{not an AMCO accessory however}.

I am still missing the Air Foil and the Ski Rack Adapter that fit to the Luggage Rack. I do have a different after-market Ski Rack for the 240Z made by BarreCrafters.

Not shown the 72 Datsun Accessory Catalog - I also have the Passenger Foot Rest and the Door Panel Scuff Guards. I think the Foot Rest was in a Nissan/Datsun box - - I'll have to dig it out and look. There was also a scuff plate that went on the transmission tunnel next to the accelerator pedal.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl, I may have that Ski Rack Adapter along with the original installation instructions you're missing. I'll see if I can find it in the stash and post some pics when I get some time.

I remember from this thread, it's all about the box it came in.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28074&highlight=amco+ski+rack

Hi Ron:

Yes - New In Box {aka NIB} is the "gold" for Collectors. As AMCO most likely sold a lot more Datsun Accessories over the years, the NIB Datsun Boxs would command higher prices today.

I've always thought about finding every accessory in the Datsun Accessory Catalog and putting them on my White 72 just for display.

I had a "Car Top Pop-up Tent" that went on the 240Z as well. Made the mistake of loaning to a friend - and never got it back.... It was pretty neat too..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Oh Chris - here you are argueing about the "F" word yet again.:stupid:

The concept that "Datsun USA" {actually "Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A."} was somehow a different company and therefore not included as "the Factory" is muddled thinking at best.

Carl,

Many, many thanks for your kind remarks. I love you too.

I understand where you are coming from with the warranty conversation but the relevance to this conversation escapes me. The point I was trying to make was that Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. had optional equipment available in Japan in 1970 that does not coincide with the optional equipment published on your web site - optional equipment from 1972 on. I thought we had been down this road before and, believe me, I'm just as concerned about this muddled thinking as you are! Here is the options page from the 1970 dealer brochure. Considering your remarks about the equality of the two corporate identities, do you not find it strange that what was available in Japan was not published in America? And what was published was sourced from a separate manufacturing group?

Chris

post-4148-14150809925288_thumb.jpg

Here is the AMCO foot rest you would have if you bought the Datsun option in America, and a foot rest you would have if you ordered the option in Japan. Which one is "Factory / factory / f-word / F-word"?

post-4148-14150809925529_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150809925747_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150809925903_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150809926052_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

If this original packaging is worth its weight in gold, the first $500 in my paypal account takes the mirror. The perfect Valentines gift for your wife's visor. Shipping included in a waterproof floating box.

And this particular accessory is unique in that it is "factory" authorized yet there is no mention of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. anywhere.

Check your stripe kit, Carl. Does it say "Nissan" anywhere? But, whoa! Option number 8 from the dealer brochure is a stripe kit. Doesn't look like it is going to fit on an HLS30, though. I wonder which one is "factory"?

post-4148-1415080992628_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150809926445_thumb.jpg

The concept that "Datsun USA" {actually "Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A."} was somehow a different company and therefore not included as "the Factory" is muddled thinking at best.

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. considers both "Nissan Motor Co. Ltd." and "Nissan Motor Corp In USA" to be interchangeable terms and shortens them to simply "Nissan" in the Warranty Booklet.

Of course, of course. But notice the references to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. on the warranty information and the distinct lack of any Nissan reference on the accessory brochure from your web site. Given the understanding that accessories (options) were available from Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., and that they collectively differed from the accessories simply labeled Datsun, wouldn't you think that the "factory" term would be disgarded in favor of a more intellectual discussion of the nuances of our precious import? And given the understanding that the licensing of Amco products was peculiar to the North American market and not the manufacturer of the cars, wouldn't you think the word "factory" warrants an explanation? It's this muddled thinking that had me concerned!

Kudos to 26th-Z for fighting the good fight, again.

Oh Chris - here you are argueing about the "F" word yet again.:stupid:

I wrote "Factory"

Then you Quoted "Factory" and then wrote "factory"

I'm not sure which case you are writting about being a misnomer.

Yes, we've been here - or hereabouts - before, haven't we? It seems that the word "Factory" means different things to different people, and may change depending on the situation. But, like most of the other times we've been here, I think it most strongly implies a direct link with the manufacturing plant that the cars came out of, and the company ( in Japan! ) which designed, engineered and commissioned that manufacturing process. I don't think NMC USA is the same thing at all.......

Carl, I think you're trying to have your cake, and eat it. Historically, it is clear to see that - in the period we are talking about here especially - NMC USA was indeed one step away from Nissan Motors Ltd. of Japan. To use the term "Factory" in relation to NMC USA or its activities in the USA smacks of the kind of mumbo jumbo that salesmen and (m)ad men are apt to use. And this whole thing is about selling cars and the little nick-nacks that go on them, isn't it? Part of that snake-oil selling is the reassurance that is given to the customer, hence the "Factory Approved" moniker. It's just sales patter, that's all.

Here in Great Britain, 'Datsun UK' also authorised little nick-nacks and gew-gaws to be sold alongside - or attached to - the cars they sold. It's very hard to think of these as "Factory Approved" items, in any sense of the term. If you saw any of them attached to a car, I think you'd agree.

Looking at this another way, were any of those "Factory Approved" AMCO accessories sold through the dealers in Japan? I don't think they were....

Alan T.

Edited by HS30-H

Not shown the 72 Datsun Accessory Catalog - I also have the Passenger Foot Rest and the Door Panel Scuff Guards. I think the Foot Rest was in a Nissan/Datsun box - - I'll have to dig it out and look. There was also a scuff plate that went on the transmission tunnel next to the accelerator pedal.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl could you post a picture of the transmission tunnel scuff plate I might want to get one with my big feet. I drive in socks to keep rub marks off the the tunnel. I had have 2 sets of the door plates, one in the box with everything, my first Z with the white interior I was so glad to have them I'd find scuffs on the plate whenever someone else road with me never found them on my side though.