IGNORED

Tell me about the Series 1 Bumper "Override" Bar

auzziez

Great Feedback. I like the look of the one on the rear, and I have to send the rear bumper out to fix a small dent and new chrome, so I was going to send out the "towel" bar and front bumper at the same time. I don't have holes drilled.

If anyone is interested in "unloading" a front bar, I will pay for shipping.

Carl, I've got to imagine that Jim Frederick has a Z or two with the override bars on front or back. do you know if so? If you think so, I can PM him to ask if I can drop by to take some measurements so I can drill before sending the bumpers out for chrome. Tony

I have them and recently took them off. I'll probably keep them just in case, but I prefer the cleaner look of just the bumpers. I plan on getting some of those little stainless steel inserts to plug the holes.

Grass is always greener I guess.

Carl, I've got to imagine that Jim Frederick has a Z or two with the override bars on front or back. do you know if so? If you think so, I can PM him to ask if I can drop by to take some measurements so I can drill before sending the bumpers out for chrome. Tony

Why don't you see if you can trade bumpers one wants with and one without what an idea. That way we are not drilling more bumpers and filling more holes than needed. I have a set on 73 non drilled overriders for the front. the nice thing about the front bumper is the holes are drilled into the rubber just put a non-drilled rubber peices on and they are gone

Hi Tony:

See Page 3 at http://zhome.com/History/72AccBroch.htm

These were "Factory Authorized Accessories" - meaning that if they were purchased and installed by your Datsun Dealer - they carried the full 12/12,000 Factory warranty.

They were mostly installed by the Dealers before the 240Z was offered for sale. They were pretty common

FWIW,

Carl B.

Only from 1972 on. Prior to 1972 they were AMCO aftermarket accessories.

post-4148-14150809906411_thumb.jpg

Only from 1972 on. Prior to 1972 they were AMCO aftermarket accessories.

Chris,

Not quite sure what you meant, but, when I purchased my 01/71 in March 1971, I had the AMCO front bumper guard installed as a dealer option. It was an AMCO aftermarket option, but was offer and installed by the dealer when the car was new.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

Yes, that's why part numbers were assigned and the option catalog published that Carl referenced. The "Factory Authorized" is a bit of a misnomer as well. In this case, "factory" means Datsun USA not Nissan Ltd. Nissan had optional equipment for the S30 from day one, but Datsun USA bought the rights to the AMCO line which did include some aftermarket manufactured Nissan Ltd. options.

I have a set of the towel bars, foot rest, clip-on visor mirror and luggage bar.

Edited by 26th-Z

...The "Factory Authorized" is a bit of a misnomer as well. In this case, "factory" means Datsun USA not Nissan Ltd.

Oh Chris - here you are argueing about the "F" word yet again.:stupid:

I wrote "Factory"

Then you Quoted "Factory" and then wrote "factory"

I'm not sure which case you are writting about being a misnomer.

Nonetheless:

The term "Factory Authorized" in my statement - thus means Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and if you look at the Owners Manual and Warranty Booklet that accompanied each Datsun 240Z when sold new here in the U.S. - you will see that they are issued by Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and/or Nissan Motor Company of Tokyo, Japan {see image of back covers below}

If by "Datsun USA" you are really referring to "Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A." it was nothing more than a legal structure offering the full protections of U.S. Corporate Law to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and their employees - as they conducted Nissan's business in the US.

The concept that "Datsun USA" {actually "Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A."} was somehow a different company and therefore not included as "the Factory" is muddled thinking at best.

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. considers both "Nissan Motor Co. Ltd." and "Nissan Motor Corp In USA" to be interchangeable terms and shortens them to simply "Nissan" in the Warranty Booklet.

In fact the warranty for accessories was a "Factory Warranty" issued by Nissan Motor Co. Ltd - and "serviced" by their U.S. operations and Authorized Dealers here in the U.S.. If you moved to another Country - the Full Factory Warranty would be honored/serviced by any Nissan Authorized Distributor and/or Dealer.

Please feel free to read the Nissan New Vehicle Warranty - image copied below.

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150809916186_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150809916756_thumb.jpg