IGNORED

'72 Datsun 240z 'shell' to purchase or not...HELP!?

MexiChriS

Saving up my money for engine/parts & a better but a '70 Datsun 240z! =) But I think I'm gonna purchase this beat up car just for spare parts and what not from it. Like a few of you recommended.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, really do appreciate it! I'll be saving up till April (around my bday) for a better one or unless I spot a '70 240z sooner in my budget! Cause my original plan 3-4yrs ago to now was to own a '69 240z, those are rare to come by as we all know, so a '70 240z will do & will be my main mission as of now:)

Ohhh and a little info on me & how I feel about 240z! Irregardless of of rebuilding one from the ground up or purchasing one 'fixed' I HAVE NO INTENTIONS AT ALL to ever resell any 240z I ever own! TRUST ME these cars mean a lot more to me than my own life, so I wouldn't dare to part with one once I own a piece of history!

I saw that on craigs list. Thanks for posting more pics.

If it's as solid as it looks, $500 would be a good price.

aha you did!? I manage to spot it on my iPhone craigslist app & decided to swing by and take a look! & he's willing to let it go cheaper to me now; we talked for quite awhile & about my plans for any 240z.

The owner actually has a few other Z cars on his little lot by the way! Has a decent looking Datsun 260z but it was sad to see when I saw it just sitting there with crap inside it :/ Either way though it looked amazing! Wish the '72 Datsun 240z looked as clean as this Datsun 260z! Take a look!

http://mexichris.com/images/2010/02/01/72-Datsun-240z_37.jpg

http://mexichris.com/images/2010/02/01/72-Datsun-240z_38.jpg

http://mexichris.com/images/2010/02/01/72-Datsun-240z_39.jpg

Edited by MexiChriS
Forgot I had posted a link to these image; the images on my webserver should now link through correctly.

PATIENCE is the key. Wait and a good one will pop up. Just be ready to scoop it up when it comes along. You should see what I got for $950 here in San Diego just a couple weeks ago. It will run circles around that thing. I had been looking for months. Just had to wait for the right one.

Care to share with me a few photos of what you happened to get a hold of!? That is if its a Datsun 240z :)

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37246&highlight=Z%27s

This is what I got for $950. Very original, except for the Recaro's which are awesome. The interior is in very good shape and very little rust. All it needed was a new Mechanical fuel pump and the fuel lines blown out with compressed air. It sat for 3 years, and the previous owner lost interest.

The plan is to clean it and keep it as original as possible. I will clean the engine bay, re-zinc all of the plated parts (here at home) and put a nice paint job on it.

The guys in the rust belt would kill for a shell like that.

That is a very true statement; however you live in California, the land of Z opportunity! As Motorman7 stated, look what he got for $950.00.

Even though I live in Colorado, I check the Craigslists in California and Arizona all the time. If I were you I would keep checking, there are 240Zs for sale all the time in your neck of the woods and a lot of them are low-rust cars.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Edited by lonetreesteve

Sorry, but with no engine and a trashed interior, I don't even think this qualifies as much of a parts car. Besides, buying a parts car before you even have a car to restore is backwards in my opinion. How do you even know you will need any parts that might be on this car? Save up and buy a running and complete car for not much more than this.

-Mike

It's great when you can find an unmolested 240z that runs and drives. And how do you it's a complete rust bucket? How are the floorpans? The only serious rust I see is the passenger side fender. Not enough pics to judge the rest of the car. Which car would you get if the one that runs and has all interior parts but is a complete rust bucket? I would get both and transfer all the usable parts over to this shell. I would not cut this one up just to patch a running rust bucket.

Even if I was in CA and looking for a 240z, the first thing I would look at would be the condition of the body. I don't care what the mechanicals are like. I'm not looking to restore something back to stock. I want a car I can enjoy with the parts to make it better. This looks to have original paint, some surface rust. Just get a car with serious rust issues and use that as interior and mechanical donor.

Patience is the key - I got my 71 that way for free. Shy of missing seats, carpets door panels, and passenger side window and regulator, its a complete, numbers matching runner.

It was going to be painted sometime this year, however with a recent cut in pay/benefits at work, it has changed into a very DETAILED project. I start at the back this weekend and start working my way forward.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37246&highlight=Z%27s

This is what I got for $950. Very original, except for the Recaro's which are awesome. The interior is in very good shape and very little rust. All it needed was a new Mechanical fuel pump and the fuel lines blown out with compressed air. It sat for 3 years, and the previous owner lost interest.

The plan is to clean it and keep it as original as possible. I will clean the engine bay, re-zinc all of the plated parts (here at home) and put a nice paint job on it.

WOW you really came up on that! Read through and saw the other photos, such a great find! Hope to see more of this new '73 240z you got added to your collection. Looks beautiful!

That is a very true statement; however you live in California, the land of Z opportunity! As Motorman7 stated, look what he got for $950.00.

Even though I live in Colorado, I check the Craigslists in California and Arizona all the time. If I were you I would keep checking, there are 240Zs for sale all the time in your neck of the woods and a lot of them are low-rust cars.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

I do the exact same thing; scouting out the US for 240z! They really are scattered across Cali though! I go into other towns and I seem to spot 'em just sitting away doing nothing or being used while currently parked, and every so often if its one of those lucky ones there still being driven around! Those are the ones that catch my attention and drive me wild to get one myself the road! :)

I do the exact same thing; scouting out the US for 240z! They really are scattered across Cali though! I go into other towns and I seem to spot 'em just sitting away doing nothing or being used while currently parked, and every so often if its one of those lucky ones there still being driven around! Those are the ones that catch my attention and drive me wild to get one myself the road! :)
LOL you should visit Racerville, theres like 40 of 'em here :);)