IGNORED

Calling all triple carb experts

NismoZ

Are you sure it is a leak? Use a hose with one tip close to you ear and the other one where you beleive you might have a leak to make sure about it.

Other solution is to spray some carb cleaner and check how engine react (if it revs, you have a leak)

You should also have some gasket there. You might want to try to tighten up a little the studs. If it is between carbs and manifold, try to turn bolt by half a turn (do not compress them completely if you don't want to crush the o-rings you most likely have in between)

How is your timing though?

Timing is good. car ran great prior to installing the triples... I got the thackery washers tightened to or around .035 gap so im assuming that the o rings are sealed correctly.

I have tried to keep the car running but its hard since it just wants to die,when it is forced to run it sounds like its running on 5 cylinders while its chirping, I did try the carb cleaner but could not really notice a difference..

Ok I was wrong when I checked the manifold with a straight edge last night, its not off by a hair its more like 50 thou... I rechecked it with 3 other straight edges or levels with the same results and I think it is a little worse than I thought. Since I have never dealt with aftermarket manifolds I snapped some photos for you guys to look at. Is this manifold useless? Is resurfacing it even a option?

Also the carbs being bolted to the manifold shouldn't cause this right?

Btw sorry for the large pics but its the only way to see what Im talking about.

TWM001.jpg

TWM002.jpg

TWM003.jpg

TWM004.jpg

TWM005.jpg

TWM006.jpg

Edited by NismoZ

There's plenty of "meat" there, so I'd try a competent machine shop to get everything laser straight before tossing the manifold for a new one.

Think so? Im worried it wont be able to be sealed up with the exhaust washers after resurfacing... the flanges are already a little thinner than the original SU intake manifold.

Edited by NismoZ

Is it new? Can you exchange it for one that isn't warped?
Yea it is suppose to be new,and appears to be new. I bought the whole triple setup from a fellow Z member who said it has never been used. So is this manifold junk? Edited by NismoZ

There are no balance tubes so I think the bolts will easily pull it flat against the head. Give it a try but tighten it from the outside in. Torque the first and last bolts then work towards the middle. See if that works. Do a dry run with no gasket and check with a feeler after its torqued. If not, have it milled and have the shop make you up some custom stepped washers.

Edited by cygnusx1

There are no balance tubes so I think the bolts will easily pull it flat against the head. Give it a try. I think it will be fine.

I wish it were so but I have already tried that, it wont seal not matter what I do. I Even tried gasket seal on top of the gasket with no luck It still has vacuum leaks at #1,2,5 and 6.