IGNORED

Retro Sound Install

Zedyone_kenobi

I just ordered a Retro Sound Model One from MSA and I will be installing it after I redo my DEF cable that is not functioning. Are there any pitfalls to installing a radio. Any advice. I know it is only a few wires, but is there something I could do to help myself out. Any advice on antenna's, how to prevent engine noise, etc. I do have a spare power antenna I want to install in the car, as mine does not seem to work. I have not done any troubleshooting yet. I know my up down switch has power going to it, I need to remove the panel covering the antenna and see what is getting power and what is not.

Again, any advice in advance would be splendid.

Thanks for getting our radio, Please visit our website to see how to trim the plate down and a photo show on an install we did at our warehouse a year ago or so:

Links: video:

photo show: http://flickr.com/photos/cntstpdrmn/sets/72157604405267593/show/

You can also email us at support@retrosoundusa.com

Also note that our radio draws a lot more amperage than the original, so please connect the constant power lead to a minimum 10 amp fuse--- also our speaker leads use 2 wires: + and - some of those datsuns used one wire speaker leads, which will not work---

Here's a link to our owner's manual: http://www.scribd.com/doc/8785479/Final-Model-One-b-and-c-Manual-5-Pm-120808

Many thanks,

Michael Robbins

www.retrosoundusa.com

Actually, they are 2-wire systems, but that is the problem. If you want true stereo sound, you'll need to run an additional set of wires to the rear for a second speaker on the right side of the rear.

Sorry for cutting it but your statement was a little confusing. The Retro Sound Units are great for those hard to find and fill radio holes in classics of days gone by. I myself am a Full Stereo System kinda guy (800 watts 2) subs and 6) speakers in my 240Z) But these are great for the guys looking to keep that Original look of a 2 knob radio.

Dave

I already have the MSA rear panel installed with two speakers form the PO, who did a hack job. I yanked everything but the speaker wires as they were already run for me. Thanks Micheal for the hints, I may be contacting you.

Dave, I am an original stereo fit and finish kind of guy. I save my real stereo aspirations for my home stereo.

Thanks for chiming in Dave, actually our little unit is quite sophisticated, it has 2 pairs of pre-amp outs, USB input (for flash drive), 2 aux inputs (front and rear), remote turn on / amp turn on lead--- samsung mp3/wma decoder, all in a radio body that is only 4" wide! we've had some of our customers that have american muscle cars put together some sophisticated systems with 4 and 5 channnel amps (which already handle most of the crossover processing). Our radio caters to customers that want exactly what you mentioned, the look of a shafted radio, but with modern features that blends into the dash well.

Thanks,

Michael

I hear ya there. But I'll wait on the Home Stereo Build for when the kids move out. They like to blast the current Home audio system and try and blow my Home speakers up. So I keep the big stereo system under lock and key in the Z.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Original look. Just not in my personal Z's.

Either way, it's gotta have Music.

Dave

And I love that about your systems. The ability to UPGRADE is one of your key selling points. My car is kinda the same way.... Classic car but Upgraded with Power everything, stereo, lights, suspension, wheels, etc etc. Still looks like a classic but Retro-Fitted with all the goodies, just like your stereos.

Dave

Thanks for chiming in Dave, actually our little unit is quite sophisticated, it has 2 pairs of pre-amp outs, USB input (for flash drive), 2 aux inputs (front and rear), remote turn on / amp turn on lead--- samsung mp3/wma decoder, all in a radio body that is only 4" wide! we've had some of our customers that have american muscle cars put together some sophisticated systems with 4 and 5 channnel amps (which already handle most of the crossover processing). Our radio caters to customers that want exactly what you mentioned, the look of a shafted radio, but with modern features that blends into the dash well.

Thanks,

Michael

Zedyone, I'd like to see pictures when you have it installed. Ever since my voltage regulator problem back in October, my original radio has not been the same (minimal output). I am tossing around ideas and am thinking about the Autosound as an option along with MSA's rear speaker panel. I like the inputs because that means I can use my Sirius from my Honda or plug in my iphone.

Having spent 2 entire weekends under my dash doing electrical work, I can say our Z's don't need a lot of speaker to sound good. I dragged my old harmon kardon computer speakers w/sub out and they had no problem filling the car with good sound at pretty low volume levels. I think a couple 6x9's would do nicely, even running on deck power

I can't remember... Does anyone know if our power antenna switch integrated into the stock radio or is the switch separate from the deck? My antenna still works

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

Interesting. I'd love to hear your feedback on this unit. I was actually considering purchasing one of these before I button the dash back up after removing the A/C, refreshing the heating system, soldering the fuse panel connectors and installing Dave's taillight upgrade harness. This would replace the crappy out of date Audiovox system in there now.

Edited by =Enigma=

I can't remember... Does anyone know if our power antenna switch integrated into the stock radio or is the switch separate from the deck? My antenna still works

Either type of antenna switch (top or side) is easily removed from the early stock radios.

Dennis

I installed mine last year. I kept my original fuctioning radio and put the new unit in the glovebox and "y'd" the incoming antenna lead.......works like a champ. I ordered mine through Crutchfield and they shipped a piece of plastic 15x15 and I used a dremel to cut out the plate for the glovebox facing. Perfect for keeping the original look of the dash and upgrading sound quality.

Remote control works well with MP3 changes and volume control.

post-14147-14150809569136_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150809569722_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150809570303_thumb.jpg