IGNORED

Need some help...

Sparx Macgyver

I don't think the brake lights came on. I'll check that today. The wipers work, but are awfully slow.

For the bleeder valve, I placed a 1/2" hose over the bleeder. I opened the bleeder first, about 1/4 turn, put the hose one, and placed the hose in a container with about 1/2" of clutch fluid in it. doing it that way, we can see when the bubbles stop coming. We kept the fluid filled up, but the bubbles never stopped coming out. It's pretty much the same way I do the brakes.

And I'm going to ask...combi switch?

Edited by Sparx Macgyver

I don't think the brake lights came on. I'll check that today. The wipers work, but are awfully slow.

For the bleeder valve, I placed a 1/2" hose over the bleeder. I opened the bleeder first, about 1/4 turn, put the hose one, and placed the hose in a container with about 1/2" of clutch fluid in it. doing it that way, we can see when the bubbles stop coming. We kept the fluid filled up, but the bubbles never stopped coming out. It's pretty much the same way I do the brakes.

And I'm going to ask...combi switch?

combi switch = combination switch the one on the right hand side of the steering wheel that controls head lights, wipers, ect.

And the wipers for Zs are notoriously slow and generally only like to move when there wet.

Ah got ya. I had a feeling that's what it was. And good to know about the wipers. I figured they were just old and dull and needed replacement.

Still working on the brakes, only had enough daylight to do the pass side. Tomorrow, I'll get the driver side drum/shoes traded out. I'm quite ticked at the P.O. for what he did to "fix" the stuck/frozen rear brakes.

I'll have to take a pic or two to show you guys.

Just a couple more updates.

Since it's too cold to really do much (too dark as well) I went and looked a the fuses in the Fuse Block. Turns out my uncle didn't put a single properly sized fuse in all but a few of them. I flipped through my trusty book and found a diagram of the fuse block, and the proper amp fuse. After about 20 min of checking each fuse to make sure it's the right size and it's a good fuse, I re-connected the batter, and turned the key to the on position. Flicked the lights, and nothing. OK, put the high beams on. Voila, both head lamps are on. Except...wait a sec....Now the pass. light is dull, and the driver is bright.

Turn signals are now almost non-existent. You turn one on, and both just blink twice, and won't do anything more unless you turn them on then off again. Not to mention the volt meter bounces a bit.

Another question: are the running lights supposed to blink if you turn on the signals?

The Fuse Block diagram in my Haynes manual, the Floor Temp Lamp is shown 1 or |, and there's an ST next to it. Anybody know what that is? I can't find it in the book. Is the fuse space supposed to be empty or do I put a fuse in it?

I found this thing attached to my fuse block. I'm sorry for the blurry/crappy pics. I'll take better ones tomorrow. My little digital cam sucks, and I didn't feel like lugging the Nikon D40 down stairs. Anyway, what is that? It looks like a piece of copper wire. It's not connected to anything, just makes a loop. It's sort of twisty-tied to itself.

post-20555-14150809772163_thumb.jpg

post-20555-14150809772796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sparx Macgyver

And now for those drums. As promised, here's the pics of them. I don't know what he was doing or what he was thinking when he did this but you can see from the pics the damage done to the drum. The damage is to the Drivers side drum. It has several "teeth" broken off and two holes that were drilled into it, right next to each other. The passenger side just looks like it was drilled into a few times.

Far as I can tell, replacing the drums/shoes has solved the brake issue. They no longer seem to be frozen. I still have the volt gauge charge light on, and the e-brake light is on. I even when the car is completely turned off and key is out... both lights stay on...I'm thinking maybe a relay switch somewhere? Have to look at that tomorrow after I replace the CSC.

post-20555-1415080977347_thumb.jpg

post-20555-14150809773992_thumb.jpg

post-20555-14150809774513_thumb.jpg

post-20555-14150809775041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sparx Macgyver

I thing Geezer is correct. I had one of mine lockup and a "mechanic" had to break off the arm to free up the star wheel to get the drum off. I never fixed it and its been like that since 1978. Soon, I will have to fix that now that I am trying to revive the car.

The price of a new wheel cylinder about knocked me over!

I have used a Mity Vac to pull the fluid with great success on Motorcycle brakes. I also have a pressure bleeder that hooks onto the Master Cylinder which is great when your wife dont want to pump no more - the pedal that is.

Edited by oldhemi

Cleaned my combi switch today. Followed MikeW's instructions. Flipped the switch and lights came on. Hit the high beams on, and they came on. Turned the high beams off/on/off again. And now the headlights are not working right again. We're back to high beams only again. If it helps, when the lights were on, the driver was bright, and pass. was dull.

I know someone on here will have something to say about this but you "can" drive the car without the clutch functioning correctly. Treat it like a crash box. Apply pressure into the next gear whil gently altering the revs and it will go. BAD BAD BAD though, but if it's an emergency.......

I suppose...though I think I'll save that trick for dire emergency's only.

Still need to replace the CSC. I have the part, I just need to actually replace it. Unfortunately, the manager of my Apt. complex is strict in that she won't allow any vehicle maintenance. She let's us check oil/transmission, and various little and/or light maintenance, but she won't let us do any heavy work, so I gotta wait till she's not at home to do it.

Looks like Monday will be the time to do it. I hate having to wait to work on my car(s).

I suppose...though I think I'll save that trick for dire emergency's only.

Still need to replace the CSC. I have the part, I just need to actually replace it. Unfortunately, the manager of my Apt. complex is strict in that she won't allow any vehicle maintenance. She let's us check oil/transmission, and various little and/or light maintenance, but she won't let us do any heavy work, so I gotta wait till she's not at home to do it.

Looks like Monday will be the time to do it. I hate having to wait to work on my car(s).

Why don't you do what I did turn a 10X20 storage unit into a garage. Just find a place ran by some really cool people or find one that no one is their.