alhbln

Easiest way to remove tacho from '72 240Z?

I need to remove the four wire tacho for a conversion from inductive to +12v trigger as i am currently installing a megajolt ignition setup.

What is the easiest way to remove the tacho from the dashboard, can i just remove the locking nuts on the back of the tacho from under the dashboard and then pull it out from the front?

Exactly. The tach and speedo remove from the front on 240Z dashes, unlike 260/280s that remove from the rear.

The hard part will be getting access to the wire harness plug, light bulbs and wing nut that secures the rear of the tach. It can be done, but sometimes it is easier to remove the entire dash! Then you can clean the lenses and install newer, brighter instrument light bulbs too! :)

Adrian, except if you have a dash cap, then you can't get it out the front.

Chris

Those wing nuts are a beech to crack by hand. Take 3/8 drive, 7/16 6pt socket, and cut a slot down into to it with a dremel wheel, wide enough that would fit over the wings. Then use that over the wing nuts with a 1/4 drive handle and adapter to break the wing nuts free. Last resort, but it works.

One of those tools we should have as a mail out loner like the spinder pin puller....

Good luck. With strong fingers you can do it without.

Jim

Thanks, it worked out as planned. Had to use pliers for the second wing nut, the first one was no problem. i pulled the bulbs from behind while tacho was still installed, then gently pulled out the tacho and removed the four wire connector from the front.

Chris, on the '72 240Z you can just pull out the tacho in one piece without having to remove the dash, lucky me :)

Inmy 280Z, the tachometer has always been easily removed from the front. I'll have to try it the other way... :bunny:

Exactly. The tach and speedo remove from the front on 240Z dashes, unlike 260/280s that remove from the rear.

Where do you get that info from? The couple of times I removed the tach from my 78 280Z, I pulled it from the front as per the factory service manual's instructions.

What Steve and Tomo said! I don't know how the 240's tach is removed, but I suspect it's the same way -- one screw at the top front of the bezel, and one on the lower side behind the tach.

The dash cap is a bit of a pain, but with a bit of care, you can shoe-horn the tach past the cap with a thin, well-worn screwdriver that you slide around the outside of the tach.

Where do you get that info from? The couple of times I removed the tach from my 78 280Z, I pulled it from the front as per the factory service manual's instructions.

Same here mine is a 260z and I removed from the front also. Virtually impossible to remove it from the back without removing the whole dash.

Thanks, it worked out as planned. Had to use pliers for the second wing nut, the first one was no problem. i pulled the bulbs from behind while tacho was still installed, then gently pulled out the tacho and removed the four wire connector from the front.

Chris, on the '72 240Z you can just pull out the tacho in one piece without having to remove the dash, lucky me :)

Adrian, i have just read that you can't pull it out from the front, if you have a dash cap, do you have a dash cap?

Cris

Just to be clear, I have a dash cap (a half cap). I pulled my tach on two occasions from the front. It took me a few min to carefully work the tach past the cap, but it can easily be done with a bit of care.

If there's a way to get the tachometer and speedometer out past a full dash cap, I'd like to know!

It can't be done with a full dash cap without damaging the cap. That's why the glove box and the heater control panel need to be removed in order to remove or install the tach and/or the speedometer from the rear.

Adrian, i have just read that you can't pull it out from the front, if you have a dash cap, do you have a dash cap?

Cris

No dash cap, just a standard 240Z with the original dash and instruments.

I recently pulled my tach from the front-just the 2 wing nuts, which I loosened with lineman's pliers. There is enough wire length to disconnect the harness from the front hole after you pull it. Getting the nuts back on may be a bit more difficult.

It makes sense
Chris, you got me with that insect emoticon crawling around your signature! I smacked the monitor a couple of times before I realized...... Edited by sblake01

Any video on this? I plan on removing and inspecting the instrument red brake light on my 72 240z speedometer. Can i do this by feel by hand from the rear under the steering Wheel or do i need to remove the speedometer from the front?

I'm going on what I've read. It appears that the speedo has two wing nuts that are accessed from under the dash. One wingnut on the top, one on the bottom. It's been reported that they can be difficult to crack them loose. After removing the wingnuts and disconnecting the wiring, the speedo pulls out from the front. If you have a dash cap it will be difficult to get the speedo out but it's possible. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

I'm going on what I've read. It appears that the speedo has two wing nuts that are accessed from under the dash. One wingnut on the top, one on the bottom. It's been reported that they can be difficult to crack them loose. After removing the wingnuts and disconnecting the wiring, the speedo pulls out from the front. If you have a dash cap it will be difficult to get the speedo out but it's possible. Good luck.

This is an extra speedo i ordered many years ago. Should i just wiggle the plug to see if the dim brake light dissapears? Or do i need to take it out fully?

20181003_120645.jpg

20181003_120624.jpg