IGNORED

Jumping in with 2

ArnieTX

After looking around for a while I finally picked up a pair of 1971 240z's for $300 bucks. One car had a decent interior but some rusty floorpans and the other has a cruddy interior but pretty solid metal.

Pics of how they sit at the moment:

DSCF4736.jpg

DSCF4738.jpg

DSCF4743.jpg

DSCF4744.jpg

DSCF4745.jpg

DSCF4750.jpg

DSCF4752.jpg

DSCF4748.jpg

DSCF4739.jpg

DSCF4740.jpg

DSCF4741.jpg

DSCF4739.jpg

I have to go get them in the morning.

If anyone can provide some tips for getting them onto the trailer I would appreciate it. I have a come along and chains. Will have two F250's and 2 goosenecks to transport. Not sure where to coonect to these vehicles to pull them onto the trailers without causing damage, etc.

I'm jacked! Me and my boys are going to have a good time tinkering with this.

Thanks

Thanks Darrel.

I don't know much about them. Once I get them home and cleaned up a little, I guess I'll be able to tell. Is original paint significant for some reason? Just wondering.

I am a noob to car restorataion. I have average skills. I need to decide if it's better to clean these up and try to flip them for more money and put those funds towards a z in better condition or get after it and make a good one out of these two. I have the room and facilities to work on them, just never attempted something like this before. I guess once they are cleaned up and I note the condition of both bodies, it will be easier to see what I have. The nice thing about having 2 identical 71's is I have a template to compare to if I take one apart. I need some tips on how to keep track of all the parts coming off and how it goes back. Searching the threads for that info all day... :)

I'm ordering a few Z manuals and the restoration book. I'm researching all the threads. I owned a 77 and a 78 in my younger days. This is my first 240.

Thanks

My reason for asking about them being repainted, with the original paint you are able to see the real condition of the panels. If they have been repainted, then there is a good chance there might be bondo hidden under a "new" paint job, even an old paint job.

You got a heck of a deal on one for the price, let alone 2 for the same price.

Keep us up to date on your progress and post more pics as you go along.

I bet the wheels are frozen in place. If so I'd recommend the ancient method of using round sticks (aka 1 or 1.5" PVC pipe) and a sheet of plywood. Bring the trailer as close as you can jack the car up and place a bunch of PVC pipes down and then the plywood lock the wheels on the car and set the car down on the plywood with this set up you can move almost anything. then push or pull the car on the plywood on to the trailer moving the pvc pipes in front as they come out in the back. I'd recommend using a winch to move it onto the trailer. You can use the tow hooks another good spot on these cars to connect to is the steering support in center of the car. Don't use the bumpers, frame rails or the diff mount you will more than likly damage the car at these points.

They look like a lot of work but it will be 2 fun project cars.

Thanks for the advice.

I have an air compressor and a bunch of chains going. A friend that's taking his truck and trailer said the easiest way is to chalk the trailer, run a chain from the back of the truck all the way down the length of the trailer, hook it to the car, and pull it up the ramps with the truck...... We'll see!

Is there anything else I need to take along besides air, chains, and straps?

Thanks

Be careful with the "tow hooks" as they are actually just tie down hooks and not rated for towing. Use only the ones on the front, and pull slowly and steadily up as slight an incline as you can manage with the trailer. They were strong enough to pull my car onto a flatbed tow truck for relocation so you should be fine. If the hooks are missing, you could probably get away using the front suspension member, but I don't recommend pulling from the lower radiator support member. If the frame rails are badly rusted out near where they attach to the firewall, go very slowly and make sure nobody is standing behind the car. Probably a good idea either way. :) Good luck.

You know of course that the one with vents under the rear window is a "Series 1" with and earlier build date.

You even have the original seat belts! I am impressed.

That is a huge project. Stick with it, because it will take some time to get either car back on the road.

You might also consider bringing a floor jack. It may help if the trailer has a dovetail. If the car doesn't clear the tail you can place the jack under the front suspension/engine cross member to raise the car up enough to continue pulling it onto the trailer.

Make sure you tie the car down at all 4 corners with an appropriate ratchet strap or chains. Don't use the generic tie down straps you get at the hardware store, be sure to either use straps that are designed & rated for securing a vehicle to a trailer, or use chains & a chain binder. Please don't take chances with safety or with the DOT!

I paid 300 for the first Z I refreshed. I bought another '73 this summer for $450. From the photos you have, both cars you have look to be in better shape than mine were. I sure hope they clean up good and that one of them is a good candidate for revival. Once you assess the condition of the cars, I'd suggest making your decision to fix one (or both!) based on what you find and your comfort level with doing the work. If you are mechanically inclined and do your own body & paint work, then you might consider reviving a car that is a little rough. If not, then sell them and get a car that is solid. Personally, I like doing as much of the work as I can, old buzzard gear head that I am!

Thanks for the all the great advice. I'll clean them up good over the weekend and see what I have.

You know of course that the one with vents under the rear window is a "Series 1" with and earlier build date.

You even have the original seat belts! I am impressed.

I believe both of them have vents under the windows. Sorry for the noob questions and I can only read so much on this site in a day, but what is the significance of "series 1". I'll try to search the history of that term shortly.

Zoomed:

Z1.png

z2.png

Thank you

Arnie