IGNORED

How many Series One 240Zs are left??

zcar70

There are so many Series 1 cars that are unaccounted for. For example, take a look at this one listed on the Denver Craigslist that has been garaged for 20 years:

1971 Datsun 240z

Date: 2009-12-01, 9:06AM MST

Reply to: sale-axfe7-1489747609@craigslist.org

Series 1. Been garaged since 1989. Ready for some bodywork and paint. I have rebuilt or have new parts to complete the restore, just cant afford to finish the car anymore. All mechanicals, ignition, carbs, suspension, exhaust/muffler, brakes, hoses, tank, radiator, steering, everything has been rebuilt or replaced with new. Suspension, bushings, brakes, all new. Boxes of new parts ready to go with it, such as all new weatherstripping, turn signal lenses and gaskets. 280 motor with the 5 speed tranny, with SU carbs. Spare rear end, axles, 4 speed tranny, ect.

Serious offers only! Call for more info 303-946-7182, mornings is best. If not leave a msg please and Ill return the call.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1489747609

The Series 1 question that I am still searching out is the earliest Series 1 automatic,I have a barn find that is salvagable if it's worth saving. Any VIN#'s to reference early automatics?

Have you seen this thread? Maybe compare notes with kurtwwalters who has/had HLS30-07969, which is an automatic. Here's the thread link.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29847&highlight=early+automatic

Here's another Series 1 local to me that was driven into the garage more than 17 years ago. It is totally intact. Yep, they are tucked away in great numbers.

Good posts all!

By checking Carl's zhome.com registry, taking your opinions, figuring the rate of attrition for a sub-$4000 early 70's sports car (not many set out to preserved the relatively cheap car back in the day), KNOWING how 240Zs rusted, etc., I would estimate that there are about 600-800 series one 240Zs still on the road today.

I would think it would also be fair to assume there might also be near that many tucked away in garages and barns somewhere (who knows what condition those are in!).

In any event, I would be surprised if there were 10% still on the planet 40 years later.

Hey guys, in addition to posting your series 1 cars here, it would be nice to have the info included in MikeW's list also for easy reference, if you haven't already done so. It's great for seeing at a glance what cars the guys who frequent this site have, along with a short vague description. It's not restricted to series 1 cars either.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/mlwilliams/Z_Car_Registry

Just a thought.:)

PS - Steve, I keep my ear to the ground when it comes to hard to find Series 1 parts, as do many of us. I think it gives us a rough idea of the rate of Series 1 car loss due to parting out but I agree that what we hear of doesn't scratch the surface.

I don't see any of Jim Frederick's ZMecca cars listed in the registry. I think he owns around "100" Series 1's himself.:classic: OK, maybe 15-20 :beer:

Hey guys, in addition to posting your series 1 cars here, it would be nice to have the info included in MikeW's list also for easy reference, if you haven't already done so. It's great for seeing at a glance what cars the guys who frequent this site have, along with a short vague description. It's not restricted to series 1 cars either.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/mlwilliams/Z_Car_Registry

Just a thought.:)

PS - Steve, I keep my ear to the ground when it comes to hard to find Series 1 parts, as do many of us. I think it gives us a rough idea of the rate of Series 1 car loss due to parting out but I agree that what we hear of doesn't scratch the surface.

I have #797, 90% done on restoration. The link to Mike's site has my car listed wrong, it looks like the PO added it as I did not. It is listed as 920 Gold but the car is in fact 904 White with Blue. Maybe Mike can update the info with the correct color.

I figured out how to edit the spreadsheet, so it is updated with the correct information on Mike's site.

Edited by mally002

What is the criteria for a Series 1 car to be counted as still existing?

A. Still recognizable as a vehicle through all the shrubbery that's grown through it.

B. On jackstands somewhere.

C. Currently registered.

D. Driven on the road at least once a month.

I think this decision will have a far greater affect on the mythical numbers being tossed around then anything else discussed so far.

What if it's in the middle of a V8 swap and has a full cage installed and a bunch of suspension mods welded to the chassis? In other words, does mine count?

After two years on jackstands the car is no longer counted. After four years the car is considered extinct... :-)

HLS30 00110 is currently registered, on rolling mid 70's tires, Appliance chrome spokes tucked in a corner of the shop. However, it is not on anyone's list, yet. With my recent back problems, who knows when I will 'get around to it', or if I will ever be able to.

Bonzi Lon

What if it's in the middle of a V8 swap and has a full cage installed and a bunch of suspension mods welded to the chassis? In other words, does mine count? ;)

For the sake of discussion, let's consider "surviving series one 240Zs" as intact cars more or less as Nissan made them. That is a L24, L26 or L28 engine and ORIGINAL chassis. Most were modified in some way over time anyway (different tranny, interior parts, body parts, etc). I would not consider a series one car severely modified into another type of car entirely, as described above. That simply is NOT a 240Z any more.

I still say there are less than 1000 drivable examples today, maybe a few hundred more stashed away for years......