Sign in to follow this  
Zs-ondabrain

My 260Z build (Brake upgrades and Mods)

I actually expect Twice as much output from 2) 12" subs, as I would with only 1).

I could use just one but the subs I'm getting require 0.65 cu.ft each and the wheel well with 1/4" sidewalls and 1" thick top and 1" divider with the subs .11 displacement comes to 1.3 divided by 2 = .65 each, perfect!!

Resin is getting pricey. I paid $45 for a gallon of Polyester Resin from Schucks/O'Rielly.

The front pods (kick panel) will be almost the same.

1) I'll copy the original panel out of 1/8" MDF cause it's stronger then the stock fiberboard.

2) Then I'll make a ring out of the 1/2" MDF (like the rear but round) with another 1/2" ring on top of that to allow the speaker to sit below the pod and be hidden by the 1/4" grill cloth covered panel. I'll do a full write up on it later.

3) then use radio backstraps to hold the ring out from the panel and at the correct angle.

4) I'll wrap the entire thing in Fleece and staple it to the back of the panel. The fleece is very stretchy and holds a lot of resin which makes for a thicker enclosure.

5) Staple the fleece to the ring as well. Then resin the whole thing, using a roller rake to work the resin into everything.

After it's hard, cut the hole out and trim the excess from the back. I use a grinder and a double filter resporator, grinding the rough spots down so it sits flush against the wall that it'll be mounted to, test fit then clean up the rest. Paint it, wrap it or what-ever.

My Z's get parked in the garage and have full alarms. I don't care how good of a thief you are, you won't get my Z's....... And yes, my windows are tinted with 20% tint. If you look again at the picture, you can see thru the front window and almost thru the drivers side window. If the house behind the car was better lit, you'd see it in the picture.

By the way, I'll be using the Pioneer TS-SW301 shallow mount subs.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Nice work Dave. Your level of innovation is very inspiring. I was actually pondering what a nicely done custom semi-stealth fiberglass quarter rear speaker panel might look like and now I know. Let me know when you're ready to come down to Santa Cruz and start work on mine. :)

No problem. Just cover fuel, supplies and a vacation home for me and the wife and we're there!!!

Part of the fun of building things like this is showing it off and showing how others can do it easily and on a budget. Kinda like the hot-rod guys on SPIKE every Saturday and sunday. I"m actually watching "Trucks" on Spike right now, while I build Headlight and parking light harness's. Well, doing more listening than watching.

Dave

Wow, Looks like you get a lot accomplished when I'm not around to bug you LOL. Looking forward to seeing all your new work. :)

Had to get the hell away from the Upgrade building today, everybody needs a day off, now and then. So I got some fresh air in the garage, kinda.....

I don't think suckin in fiberglass fumes and dust qualifies as fresh air. But at least I got some work done. so much for taking a break....

you'll notice the backstraps used to reinforce the panel. The original panels is flimsy as hell so I glassed the whole backside before I'll wrap it in fleece for resining the front side.

post-4921-14150810295352_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810295794_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415081029623_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810296755_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810297184_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810297632_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810298065_thumb.jpg

Sun came out today and I can only do so many upgrades before my hands give out and my eyes get blurry. The Reading glasses only help so much......

So after reinforcing the back, I started stapling the fleece to the wooden frame. But I went a different route this time, SUPER GLUE!!!! It's awesome for tight corners and tucking where staples and clamps just won't work. Only takes 5 seconds to get the glue to hold the fleece down as it absorbs the oils from your fingers, that have worked it's way into the fleece while I'm pushing the fleece into the panel with super glue on it. And that holds the material in place while I lightly brush and roll the resin into place. Being carefull to not break the fleece loose from the panel while brushing.

The end result is a decent panel with curves that I couldn't manage to get before, unless the panel was a staplable wood product.

Dave

post-4921-14150810300475_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810300914_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810301339_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810301774_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810302223_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810302653_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150810303087_thumb.jpg

was gonna work on it later today but apparently I didn't add enough hardener. it's still a little tacky, So back to the heatgun. if it's not totally cured, it'll gum up my sanding disc.

I've read everywhere about using a BIAS adjuster and NOT using one. I'll decide on it later.

Hey Dave, did you ever get a chance to decide about the stock brake bias or install an adjustable one?

I am prepping to install the same exact package front and back except with the Z race products brackets and 82-83 280zx calipers and rotors.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Headstrong280z

Haven't had a chance to get to anything on the 260Z lately cause of 3 large orders from Motorsport, a New (to me) 72' 240Z and a bunch of other roadblocks.

Sorry,

Dave

So lately, been doing a little work on the 260Z. Decided to do something DIFFERENT with the Fuel door. Always loved the round, flush doors on other cars. It'll have the magnetic "push to open/ push to close" pop-out catch. But when closing up the filler area, I had to make a drain with a tube if any water gets in as it won't spill out like the stock lid allows.

I also had to modify and extend the spring loaded hinge, then reinforce the lid and hinge to minimize movement or missalignment when opening or closing.

My damn camera broke yesterday so here is the minimal amout until I can take more pics.

So when making the design or Mod, I, as you all know, LOVE Datsun. So I thought, a round lid should be familiar to all in "the Know" And what I'm thinking is paint it the same color as the car but have a Blue tinted Pearl for the middle and red tinted pearl for the outer circle halves. The do something similar for the lettering in the center section. So it'll be more of a Ghost design that you actually have to look to see it.

post-4921-14150812457453_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812458125_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812459436_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812460389_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812460984_thumb.jpg

Oh ya, and all this while Trying to QUIT SMOKING!!! It's 9:30 and I've only had 5-1/2 cigarettes today. Might have one more before bed but gonna try and pass it up. We'll see. I've been meaning to quit for about 25 years now (started when I was 13, I'm 39 now) and figured it this way......... I love my wife, my hobbies and my kids, I wanna be around to finish the race. I ain't getting any younger and smoking ain't making me any healtheir.

Wish me luck!! Hopefully being in the garage will keep me busy enough to get thru this. God forbid anyone wizz me off this week.

Dave

Good luck man. I've quit twice. First time stuck for a couple years, it's probably been 5 since the last time I quit. Smoked between a pack and 2 packs a day for about 13 years altogether. Honestly I don't feel that much different at all, but not giving the state the sin tax money is a nice feeling. A-holes still get me when I buy a bottle of Tuaca though.

Interesting fuel door. Looks nice so far.

The new mod looks like the 'Nissan' Logo. Ghost paint 'DATSUN' on it :)

I quit smoking 12 years ago after 32 years. Woke up one morning and asked myself why I was smoking these things. Answer was, 'cause your an idiot, Lon'. 'Oh yeah, thats right'. ( Borrowed from the movie 'Heathers'.)

Absolutly the BEST thing I have ever done. You can do it too.

A year later totally gave up alcohol too. Getting a DUI in my own driveway made me give it up. The free margretias at Z-CON were too tempting so I had to leave. I just refuse to go down those 2 roads again.

Bonzi Lon

so I did a little more work on it and YES Loni, It is a Datsun Logo design.

Here's the progress so far. I painted it with black primer to check m lines and see how it looked so far.....

OH BTW.... Seriously considering using a cable driven Linear Actuator to open and close the lid and I'll remove the spring. Doing this will also eliminate the "Steal my gas" worry that I had.

post-4921-14150812580121_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812580837_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812581398_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812581972_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812582555_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415081258315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

I added another picture for ya Julio. I used MS Paint to do the Coloring and Datsun. Freehand sucks but you can see where I'm going with it.

Dave. Nice job. On the smoking thing. I started when I was 15. Hell, thats a long time ago. I'm now 66. Anyhow at the age of 51, I suffered a major artery blockage which resulted in a full blown' heart attack' or M.I.After 2 weeks in coronary care, I swore I would never smoke again to stuff up all the good work the doctors and nurses put in to me. And I havn't smoked since. Unfortuately the damage is done, as after prostate surgery 2 years ago I had cardiac arrest, resulting in being fitted with an implanted defibrilator. This thing has brought me back from death on two occasions since.

The sooner you can quit the habit the better. You will feel better and have a few more dollars in your pocket. As an added bonus you will live to see grandchildren, or even Great grandchildren, of which I have three.

Life is bloody good at the moment.

Sorry to get away from the thread. Just thought I would wish you well with the smoking thing. They say there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker, and thats so true. I can smell cig. smoke half a mile away.

Brian.:beer:

As I slow down to a dead stop (smoking that is) I've noticed my sense of smell and taste have already jumped 5 fold. with the exception of winter, I hope to start walking more, joging on occasion, taking the dogs out more often, etc, etc. You get the idea.

It's like being a prisoner for years and I'm sitting here making Mental notes of all the things I wanna do once I'm free of this incarceration. Think of the money I'll save, the Parts I can buy, the........ ya, you get it.

Thanks guys,

Dave

Glad to see things are still progressing Dave!... Wish I could get up to see ya in the next couple of months.. we will see how busy things get this spring.

2 words Kirk, "Bring tools" ROFL

Glad to hear ya made it thru the Holiday Season. My door is Always open to you and your Family. Anytime you're in the area, stop on by.

Things have obviously slowed down a bit. Too damn cold in the garage and this Christmas has swept all the enthusiasm out the door. Just gotta finish this MSA order and another customers Order and get back to work, no matter what.

I need money for paint and time to finish all the other little sub-projects within the main project.

DAve

Great question. But I gotta finish the car and get it on the road before I can tell you the answer. Been a cold winter and now money to work on the car. So nothing has been done since last November.

But as soon as I get a chance, I'll finish up the body work so I can get it to paint and get to finishing this damn car.

Dave

If anyone cares: As stated by the OP, the 15/16" brake master cylinder is listed at most auto parts stores for about $35.. but they aren't available. I checked with every auto parts dealer within 50 miles of me and rock auto online, nobody could actually get one without the reservoirs. i had kragen and pep boys contact their supplier and they were told people weren't sending in cores for that model and they are now unavailable.

Thanks for the info. One thing you can look into is a used one from the Junk yard (Pull a part) and see if the auto parts store has a rebuild kit. Simple kit, just clean the hell out of everything.

As stated, I bought mine without the resevoirs, about $100 cheaper cause the 280ZX has the electric fluid level tops. And the 240Z Resevoirs squeeze right on there.

Thanks again,

Dave