Sign in to follow this  
blakt out

24 months of intensive restoration, and I'm almost done.

Just found out that I'll be having some pictures of the car taken with Peter Brock!
Now that's awesome.
Odd as it is, I'm one of those men who really gets nauseous when he sees a Z that's hardly recognizable as a Z.
I couldn't agree more. Subtle mods are great, and compliment the Z. However, the Z is beautiful from the factory, and does not NEED any body mods. 90% of flares, 90% of airdams, Ferrari or Daytona replicas, etc. all ruin the Z, IMO.

I noticed the amount of thought you put into each your modifications, and the amount of effort that has gone into keeping it quite stock looking, and it has clearly paid off. It reminds me a bit of the light green Z Garage 240z with the RB25 - looks pretty stock, but performs like a modern car. Which reminds me, is that I think my favorite thing about your car is the fact it's the original color. Seems like no one ever does that, which is a shame, since the 240Zs came in some great colors.

I could go on, but I really need to get back to my school work. If I am ever in a position to build my dream Z though, it will probably end up a lot like yours.

And of course - congrats on owning your dream car! Enjoy it.

Question for ya blakt out: Did you strip/chip off the stock rust proofing on the bottom of the car or RhinoLine on top of the stock rust proofing after cleaning it? My car goes on the rotisserie today... need to get the plan together...

The bottom of the car was rust proofed, and then actually RhinoLined the bottom of it, with tint matched perfectly to the Datsun lime. (We left the wheel wells black).

Perfectpans.jpg

I truly wanted to do something that would honor the 240Z in everything that it is, not just everything that it was.

Jared

I've loved S30 Z's since the first one I remember seeing in the mid 70's.

I've never cried over a car, ever. I watched my Father cry over a 1965 Impala 396 Super Sport.

But you Sir, have taken the cake and actually made me cry with that sentence above. I have read your every post and intently stared at every picture and I am in awe (again) of what the 240Z is, was and will always be.

Because of you.

Thank you.

This is by far the cleanest restomod I've ever seen on a Z...it's all been done properly!! Congratulations, you've got me dreaming about restoring my Z one day.

To me the greatist thing in your restoration is that you kept your Z:s outer appearense original.

And I like the colour, too.

Thanks everyone!

For a continual following of the Z, if you're at all interested, it might be easier for you to go to my website at http://www.jaredcullop.com/car-life/. This Z is on quite a few forums now. I will definitely post here as much as I always have, but I'll be posting on my site throughout my lifetime with that Z and more often. If you like, you can click the RSS feed for this page (Car Life RSS) on the right of the screen and just get an email when there's a post. From magazine shoots to car shows to blown bulbs and my exhaust leaks, I'll be sharing my life with the car on this URL.

It's just easier. I'm a web developer and I've got an app for my iPhone to make updating the site easy, even while behind the wheel! (At a stop light, of course!)

Jared

Indeed you have a lobor of lust like the rest of us enthusiasts. To me it doesn't matter how much you will have into it dollar wise when it is complete. I admire the fact that cost is not a factor, or so it seems, but having it the way YOU want it is what seems to be important. Do us all a simple favor though if I may be so bold as to ask on everyones behalf, PLEASE DON'T LET ANY RACING ACCIDENTS HAPPEN TO IT! No doubt some EUROTUNER will want to see just how fast it is. We all hope you get to enjoy many many touring miles tucked comfortably into the left seat. Remember....HAPPINESS is NOT just around the corner...HAPPINESS IS THE CORNER! Be Cool.

I appreciate your concern for the car. Don't worry. I'm a wise young fellow.

I really like your car and appreciate the effort you made to do it right the first time...a very classy ride. I also like how respectful you were in this response. You are indeed a wise young fellow as well as a classy.

Sweet setup my friend. Can you recommend a twin stack exhaust system? I've been trying to find a WingZr0 Spec ANSA Twin Stack Exhaust, but the only guy who keeps popping up cannot make it for months.

DOes anyone have suggestions for a rocking muffler setup?

PS - I'm also looking for new headers

Dov

Just found this thread and wow, what a project and some outstanding fabrication work. You should have a permamnent school boy grin etched on by now.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm smiling pretty constantly now!

Dov, my exhaust was fully, 100% custom made by National Speed, Inc, so I really can't help you. Sorry buddy.

Jared,

I dropped by the shop on Friday and saw your car sitting on the floor. It looks fantastic, the pictures are great but to see it up close and "gasp" touch it was pretty cool.

I spent 10 mins just drooling on your engine (Skip had a mop).

The interior looked like it did when they rolled it off the ship, very nice job on keeping it original.

Looking forward to hearing that beast fire up one day.

Take care,

Randy

Looks like this car is for sale now with an asking price of $125K http://bringatrailer.com/2010/10/16/blue-chip-1972-datsun-240z/. Its a nice resto-mod, but I can't see someone paying that much for it, even if that is what the owner has into it. I think if you pay a shop to build you a car like this there is no way you can expect to get your money back, but good luck to the seller.

-Mike

So far, two offers over half that. Of course, I didn't take them.

What I have here is the nicest 240Z in America that isn't a time capsule stock car. There may be another this nice, but there's none nicer. On top of that, it's been fully modernized, and weighs substantially LESS than a stock 240Z but has multiples of the power.

If it doesn't bring that, then I'm fine. But MK1888... geez... get real.

I'm sorry to see you're selling Jared, and wish for you the best with your work overseas. Hopefully this car ends up with another Z nut, and not just a random collector with a big bankroll. Come to think of it, I DO have an unchecked lottery ticket in my wallet...

If it doesn't bring that, then I'm fine. But MK1888... geez... get real.

$125K asking price and I'm the one who needs to get real. Thanks for making me laugh. You can buy a Vette for much less. And a Vette has modern EVERYTHING.

Good luck, though.

Edited by MK1888

$125K asking price and I'm the one who needs to get real. Thanks for making me laugh. You can buy a Vette for much less. And a Vette has modern EVERYTHING.

Good luck, though.

The only car that you an have a foot long mullet and still somehow blend in with. Good call. Be sure to have your nickname embroidered into the seats and floormats, and definitely don't forget the chrome tail light louvers.

Edited by blakt out

I like your car Jared. Wish I had the money to make an offer that wasn't an insult. The car is worth whatever someone is will to pay. You'll know that figure in short order.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Hey Jared,

Great seeing you today at the Z car show, the 240 looks amazing (and sounds great). I had no idea you were selling it, if I had known I would have acted interested in hopes of a test drive........;) j/k

Looking forward to your article in Excellence, and the upcoming GT3 / Boxster Spyder showdown on the Dragon.

See ya on the 6th,

Randy

It is at $51,000 on ebay right now but the reserve is still not met. That is my favorite color too... wish I had the $$, but I would have preferred to keep it stock, in my opinion.