IGNORED

24 months of intensive restoration, and I'm almost done.

blakt out

Hey men and women.

My name's Jared, and I'm a new member. I hope you enjoy my story and my resto/mod. Don't cringe (if you're the kind that cringes at restoMODDED 240Z's. It's not that bad (I don't think!;)

This is my 14th S30 Z. I love these cars. I never could afford to keep one long (I bought most of them in 'not running' condition, made them run well, and sold them at a small profit. Now, I can afford to keep one, so I wanted to build one that I would WANT to keep forever.

I looked for a year or so for this car. I wanted a lime pre-73 240Z with a manual. I wanted it to be a pretty straight and solid car. I found one in October 2007. Since then, the car has undergone 90% of it's rebirth. I hope to be driving her before Christmas.

The goals were this:

Retain all the glory of the 240Z. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that the 240Z is gorgeous as-is and I don't like body mods (for the most part).

I wanted to have it be perfect in every way, and retain all real Datsun parts as much as possible.

I wanted it to be as fast and handle as well as my 2006 Porsche 911S (that also is heavily modified).

Here's how she was when I bought her.

ZasIgotit.jpg

Zindriveway-1.jpg

ZasIgotitint.jpg

ZasIgotitengine.jpg

So... like they do it on the TV shows, we took it apart. ALL THE WAY.

Nomotor.jpg

rotisserie1.jpg

We only had small amounts of rust, and only dollops of bondo, to clear out. We cut out every trace of rust and formed metal to replace it all perfectly. There is no bondo in the car now.

We laser aligned the seams, adding metal to make everything perfect where it wasn't from Datsun.

laseraligned.jpg

And went back lime.

240177.jpg

The bottom of the car was rust proofed, and then actually RhinoLined the bottom of it, with tint matched perfectly to the Datsun lime. (We left the wheel wells black).

Perfectpans.jpg

Then, we started reassembly.

You'll notice the engine cradle for the SR20DET. Mine is a 2003 S15. I couldn't use the 6 speed, because I'll be making too much HP. So I got a 5 speed, which holds more power, out of an S14 Sylvia.

jared015.jpg

Please note the screws in the doors and such. We restored every screw, bolt, nut, and washer that was reused.

DSC_0034.jpg

Since I wanted to have it handle as well as my other car, we installed Arizona Z Car coilovers, as well as camber plates. I'm really proud of the camber plate install.

WilksboroHotRodGarage046.jpg

WilksboroHotRodGarage010.jpg

jaredcullop003.jpg

I put on the Arizona Z Car Wilwood kit, which is 6 pistons on the front and two on the rear. The proportion valve is trick installed in the stock center console.

jaredcullop015_2.jpg

All the billet goodies.

jaredcullop002_3.jpg

A real NISMO R200 LSD.

DSC_0101.jpg

CCW 17" Classic 3 piece custom wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports.

jaredcullop007_4.jpg

Aeromotive fuel system in the spare wheel well.

jared093.jpg

Modern Motorsports 5 lug hubs.

jaredcullop016_2.jpg

The wiring for the SR20 working with the S30 took a bunch...

jared083.jpg

On to the engine...

I went to National Speed, Inc in Wilmington, NC.

They took the engine apart, bored it, balanced the crank, put ARP rods on it, with new Brian Crower pistons, new Brian Crower cams and timing, and pretty much didn't spare anything to have an incredible engine. Since I didn't want more than 400HP, they built it to put out closer to 500, but then set out to minimize lag and turn it back down to 400 with little to no lag. The engine is being installed and tuned there now. We are using a "clean slate" AEM engine computer, and they are pros at tuning those babies.

jared101.jpg

jared099.jpg

jared088.jpg

jared090.jpg

image006-2.jpg

image009-1.jpg

Edited by blakt out

100_6172.jpg

100_6129.jpg

100_6483.jpg

100_6437.jpg

The interior is 100% perfect and stock. Everything has been recreated or bought actually old, in Datsun plastic and never opened, or New Old Stock, such as the dash. Since the car's in the engine shop, I don't have the interior in to be able to show you yet. Soon! In the meantime, here's some final pics of how she looks.

IMG_0120.jpg

jared087.jpg

You can see that we cleaned up the bumpers. Also, I'm putting an air dam on it for functional reasons. That's about the extent of my comfort with exterior mods. I didn't shave the corner lights or anything like that. Just my taste...

100_3044_2.jpg

jared084.jpg

jared098.jpg

jared100.jpg

Do we dare ask how much you're into it for, so far?

I'm not going ANYWHERE as ballistic as you, and I know that I'll be in for an easy 10 to 12K. Easily. And I'm keeping the original motor, trans, diff and other things. But the paint, new bolts (mostly stainless and newly plated) Polishing compounds and pads, metals and weldiong materials, Tires and wheels (Rota RB 17X9's with 265/45 ZR rated tires?) ZG fender flares, bright orange paint (solid 2 stage) etc, etc.

I definately applaud your efforts and choice of products, The car should be what YOU as a driver wants, not what everybody else thinks Should be in or on it.

Great Job so far, You can see my 260Z build here...... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3195135 Thanks for sharing, I think you just reinspired me to get back out in the garage..... Tomorrow.

Dave

Outstanding work! I love the fact that you're staying with mostly stock interior and exterior. The mechanical is a bit over the top for my taste, but well done.

Obviously, this one is a work of love. You are undoubtedly into this car far more than you could sell it for. And I'm OK with that, too.

Uh, WOW!!!! You are building my dream Z. In a current thread, we have been discussing C pillar cracking. I am curious what you are you doing to avoid this? I probably speak for us all when I say that we anxiously await more news and pics of the build. Nice work:beer:.

Adamr

Damn, that's not bad at all, Car must have been in some pretty decent shape before you started. Now mind you, I don't have 10K in receipts yet, but I am at about $2500, but I don't have a paint job, tires & wheels, or an interior yet either. Awesome job man.

You guys make me wish I could finish the car by next week. But Mr. Lotto hasn't paid any attension to me lately, or EVER.

Dave