IGNORED

24th October 1969 - The S30-series Z public debut.

HS30-H

Here we are on 24th October 2009, exactly forty years to the day after Nissan's new S30-series 'Z' models debuted at the 1969 Tokyo Auto Show.

The Japanese press had been invited to an exclusive preview of the new S30-series range at Nissan's Ginza HQ a week earlier, but at 9.55am on 24th October the doors to the 16th Tokyo Auto Show - held at the Tokyo International Trade Center in Harumi - were opened to the general public, with Prince Takamatsu of the Japanese royal family performing the opening ceremony.

Over the next 14 days, over 1.5 million people would pass through the doors of the exhibition, viewing 722 vehicles and 256 exhibitors stands. This was the world public debut of the S30-series Z.....

Happy Anniversary!

Some images from the show:

post-2116-14150808675344_thumb.jpg

post-2116-1415080867589_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808676351_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On an impressive banked display ( no doubt evoking Fuji Speedway ) with a banner reading '69 NIPPON GP WINNER NISSAN R382 AND NISSAN SPORTY CARS', were that very R382, the '69 East African Safari Rally winning 510 Bluebird, the '69 Japan GP Touring Car race winning PGC10 Skyline GT-R, and a blue 'HLS30' variant 'Datsun 240Z', wearing number plates that read "Fairlady Z Export Version":

post-2116-14150808682639_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808683643_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

In the weeks following the show, the Japanese press began to publish their December 1969 issues - many of which would feature the new Z models in editorial coverage, and carry high-profile advertisements from Nissan's 'Your Dream Comes True' campaign for the domestic Z range:

post-2116-14150808687091_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808687501_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808687908_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808688292_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Alan,

Thanks for all of the great photos! I recently bought a book called Japanese Showcars 1 Tokyo Motor Show 1954-1969. I hoped it would have more pictures of the Nissan cars from the 1969 show, but it only had one color picture of the front of the Z432, one b&w photo of the R382, and two B&W photos of a Nissan styling study. If you are interested I can scan and post them.

I love the picture of the 903 blue Fairlady Z Export Model with the rear spoiler and yellow and red taillights. I have thought about adding both to my HLS30-00032 to replicate the look of the car, but people would probably shoot me if I did. I do have an extra early rear hatch with clear glass, so maybe I will get it painted and store my original to keep it stock for the future. I have never seen a color picture of the front of this car until you posted this one. Why does it have clear front turn signal indicators when the other JDM Z's you posted pictures of have the same yellow version that we received in North America? Which markets got the clear ones?

-Mike

The picture of the Safari Gold Fairlady Z-L is my favorite I think. Similar looks of awe and wonderment all round. This picture more than any other I've seen portrays the visual experience when the S30 was first exhibited and the sentiments soon rippled around the world. Thanks for sharing the great pics Alan and Happy 40th Anniversary to all!

Thanks for all of the great photos! I recently bought a book called Japanese Showcars 1 Tokyo Motor Show 1954-1969. I hoped it would have more pictures of the Nissan cars from the 1969 show, but it only had one color picture of the front of the Z432, one b&w photo of the R382, and two B&W photos of a Nissan styling study. If you are interested I can scan and post them.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind offer, but actually I've got that booklet too ( as well as parts 2 & 3! ). They are published by the people behind Car Graphic magazine, so when you look back through period issues of CG you can see some of these original photos in the magazines of the time, and also the ones from different angles / perspectives in the booklet. Fascinating stuff, but I agree - not enough coverage on the '69 show and very disappointing on the Zs in particular.

I love the picture of the 903 blue Fairlady Z Export Model with the rear spoiler and yellow and red taillights. I have thought about adding both to my HLS30-00032 to replicate the look of the car, but people would probably shoot me if I did. I do have an extra early rear hatch with clear glass, so maybe I will get it painted and store my original to keep it stock for the future. I have never seen a color picture of the front of this car until you posted this one. Why does it have clear front turn signal indicators when the other JDM Z's you posted pictures of have the same yellow version that we received in North America? Which markets got the clear ones?

The clear indicator lenses are a bit of a mystery really, as the parts lists don't identify them as belonging to any specific market. They are marked as 'OP' ( Option ) parts in the RHD Export parts lists ( where they are called - somewhat quaintly - "Uncolor" lenses ) and the only early cars I recall seeing them fitted to were the two stock HS30s that were sent to the UK in 1970 ( didn't some of the very early Australian market cars have them too? ), and most of the early Works 240Z rally cars. They were wired up as running lights / auxiliary side lights on the Works cars and, technically speaking, I believe they were illegal in the UK. I seem to remember that this was a very recent change in Construction And Use regulations for the UK at the time. The same one that caused the re-design on the UK market valance corners, and delayed UK imports for quite a while....

So - to answer your question - I don't know why this car was fitted with the 'Uncolor' lenses, but looking at the rest of that car it seems to be something of an amalgam of details not necessarily all seen on one particular market model. Did you notice the antenna hole blanking grommet? That's the '432R' standard equipment type rear spoiler too. Interestingly, one of the Japanese magazines reporting on the show in period mentions that a 'hi-po' version of the 240Z would also be available ( triple carbs etc ) much like that single page flyer for the 'Datsun 240Z Sports' with the red car on the front, but this could just be an echo of something that had already been dropped.

I'm sure we've discussed this blue car on here before in another thread. Kats had some interesting observations about it, I recall? It would be fun to guess at its chassis number.....

Alan, Thank you for posting the great pictures and information.

Hi Steve,

Glad you enjoyed them. My pleasure.

Here's a little article regarding the 40th anniversary:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...edition-model/

That article repeats the statement that "The Datsun 240Z first went on sale in the United States on October 22nd 1969...."

Can anybody actually substantiate this? Where did it go "on sale" ( a show, a dealership? ) and how? I don't think there could have been any specific cars "on sale" in the USA at that point, let alone a 100% fixed specification and - therefore - a price that reflected exactly what the customer would get. Somebody may have put a deposit down, given a verbal or written 'order' ( how? ) against a flyer, but I think it's a long way from a model physically going "on sale".

Has anybody got any evidence that might back this claim up?

Alan T.

what's the L stand for in fairlady Z L? i'm guessing left hand drive but doesn't fairlady mean that?

It stands for 'Luxe' or 'Luxury', depending on what Nissan publication of the period you refer to.

Nissan's internal shorthand for the 'S30' Z-L model was often 'ZDX' ( meaning 'Z Deluxe' ) whilst the more basic, cheaper and obviously less luxurious 'S30-S' model was nicknamed the 'ZS' or 'Z-Std'. The 'PS30' Z432 model was nicknamed 'PZ' internally at Nissan ( 'P' standing for 'Prince' in this instance - a nod of the head to the Prince DNA of its S20 engine ) and the super-lightweight 'PS30-SB' Z432-R model was nicknamed the 'PZR' ( the 'R' standing for 'Race' ). Fun isn't it?