IGNORED

Oregon or Bust!

i always thought tranny fluid, and gear oil were 2 separate things for 2 separate parts of the transmission. Now after researching it seems that gear oil is an alternative to transmission fluid, and there is only one chamber to drain and fill in the tranny. Am I correct or lost as usual?

Frankie

Hi Frankie:

I am enjoying your reports from your Road Trip - but sorry to hear that you lost a Tranny. It can be a real bummer to be stick out on the road so to speak and expensive to resolve as well. We'll all hope that the transmission you have coming is a good one this time.

It might be helpful if you specified exactly what town you are in. The bottom of MN is a pretty large area....

FYI - in general terms...

Transmission Fluid is a usual name for Automatic Transmission Fluid. It is actually a very high detergent 10 weight oil. "Tranny Fluid" lubricates the moving parts in an A/T but its main function is to provide hydraulic pressure upon which the A/T operates. A/T's use a transmission cooler usually built into the radiator of the car to dissipate the heat. Years ago, in the 40's - DeSoto had what they called a "Fluid Drive" transmission - so who knows - maybe that is where the "fluid" term for A/T's got started.

Gear Lube or Gear Oil is the usual term for the very thick lubricating oil used in standard transmissions and differentials. It is usually 75 to 95 weight and contains additives to prevent foaming when it's stirred by the gears rotating though it. Its main function is to lubricate the gears and bearings - and secondarily it carries heat generated at the gears to the transmission case - where it can be dissipated externally.

Keep us Posted on your progress - we'll all be pulling for you.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for the explanation Carl,

I'd hadn't stated the exact town as I have explained in full how bummed i am to be here and didn't want to offend anyone club members from here. I will drop a hint tomorrow, and for those curious, they can figure it out.

Have a good night

Frankie

A week in a new place is seldom a waste! Seriously, if you have the spare funds, rent a car on the 1-week rate, and take in the local sights. Meet people. Do stuff. This is the grand adventure of your youth, with no duties or responsibilities on your plate, and you may never have another. There may even be a reason you're there, beyond the bad luck of a breakdown. Honestly, I'd give almost anything to trade places with you for a week. You could sit here at my computer, trading stocks and editing photos, while I could enjoy a week of your youth, broken down somewhere in southern Minnesota.

OK, now close your computer, turn off the TV, and get out of your motel room! ;)

Now you're talkin... Green giant! Have some fun and enjoy more of the sites. I don't think you've offended anyone because I don't think you've said anything bad about where you are. You are upset about your car being broken and it's normal to be a bit pissed off.

I've been there! Mine was a breakdown in the middle of the California desert. Interstate 5 Northbound on the infamous Grapevine. 1989... Driving alone I lost all my coolant due to a bad hose. Stuck for a day. I got to know my car VERY well.

FW is right, take some time and enjoy it.

By the way, have you tried the local Nissan dealership to see if they can order parts for you? Or, at the least pull out your tranny and find the problem?

That wouldn't be Johnny Appleseed would it? I get them mixed up. There is a huge Paul Bunyan figure along that route too. I think I've been there more than a few times. I was broke down in a place called Devil's Kettle not far from Grand Marais Minnesota for 3 days once. Had a great time. Good luck with the repairs and try to enjoy yourself. The trees must be changing beautifully by now.

Woops! yep the Jolly Green Giant. Good call Mike, you sure know your larger than life roadside figures.

Edited by geezer

Yeah i think you got me beat, id be a little worried about bein stuck in a place called devils kettle. Not to mention the DESERT! Every old Z owner has gotta do this once.

I didn't try a local Nissan dealership, I didn't even think to try. I should have looked harder. I did find a tranny out of the same car, 72 240z, 50 k and a 5 speed. 500 w shipping and 30 day warranty. I gotta admit the warranty pulled me in. I might bus out for the week and come back when she is done, just to save some cash on the hotel. But I am by no means callin it quits. I'm gonna hang low for the next week. After that, on my way to denver via SD, and WY. I gotta try the mountains, they are so cool to drive in.

Frankie

[thread drift edited out. Frankie's story is too good to dilute.]

Hey, you'll always remember that Green Giant, eh? Gotta love it. Well, you've got a week to kick back. Why not rent a car and head into Minneapolis/St. Paul for a few days?

Edited by FastWoman

Yeah i think you got me beat, id be a little worried about bein stuck in a place called devils kettle.

Yeah, google Devil's Kettle. The river divides into two and one leg of it just dissapears into the rock to who knows where. Pretty cool but I wouldn't get too close to it. You'd never be seen again if you fell in. There are some of the best twisties I've ever seen in Minnesota. What a great drive this time of year with the fall colors. You are probably on the bus by now and it's probably too late to suggest a backpacking excursion, but I'm sure it would take your mind off this setback as well as give you a new found appreciation of Minnesota.

There's a similar thread to this on 311s.org -- Has your Roadster ever left you stranded?. While the thread title correctly asks for "stock", that has gone by the way side.

Rather than hijack, can I suggest that those that have posted, do a copy to a new thread I'm starting.

E