IGNORED

Oregon or Bust!

No kiddin Darrell, I have take my 240z wiper motor to them before

I made it to Chicago last night with only 2 issues. Shifter keeps poppin out of fifth gear and my dashboard lights went out when i arrive. So i have some investigating to do. I'll hope to be headin out to Denver next week.

I will drop you a line when i get in dodge, thanks Arne.

Frankie

Have a safe drive all the way out here! Watch out for bad weather along the way.

You may check your combo switch for oxidation on the contacts, or also check your dimmer....rotate it a bunch and your lights may just pop back on. I have a local friend who has the transmission pop out of 5th too, but other than that it works fine and has for years....so you should be ok on your trip with it.

Theres a great local community for Z's out here.

Greg

Made to minnesota today.

2 more issues, window won't shut, and then........my car broke down :(

I was having trouble with it poppin out of 5th, and then it got better for a while, then all of a sudden it popped out and wouldn't go back in, so i drove it in 4th to it into this little town and it wouldn't go in gear at all

I had it towed to a mechanic shop and will go over in the morning

I believe the clutch just needs to be adjusted and i need some tranny fluid and gear oil as it seemed to be whinning a bit.......sound right?

Stuck in BFE, in a hotel for the night

Well will see how it goes in the morning

Frankie

So I research my transmission all night from my tiny hotel room. I am still clueless as to the fluid. Excuse me for my ignorance, but i always thought tranny fluid, and gear oil were 2 separate things for 2 separate parts of the transmission. Now after researching it seems that gear oil is an alternative to transmission fluid, and there is only one chamber to drain and fill in the tranny. Am I correct or lost as usual?

Frankie

YEP, looks like i better put up roots im stuck in the bottom of Minnesota at the side of the highway. Talked to a mechanic and the car is stuck in gear, and needs to be pulled out and rebuilt. Im gonna post and see what i can find for a good used transmission out there. :(

Anybody know of any good shops in BFE. ;)

Frankie

Frankie, since you have a computer I'd check out Craigslist to see if there's anything available regarding Datsun parts. If you know exactly what you need, I'm sure someone on the club would be happy to help you locate a part. Do you know what you need to get the car going again?

Ah, to be young again! I'm really enjoying your story, Frankie. Sorry to hear about the transmission, but you'll be rolling again soon. Decades from now, you'll even have fond memories of the big breakdown in Minnesota, don't'cha know -- especially if you meet some cute girl while you're there. I can't pass you a wrench, but I'm beaming positive vibes your way.

Edited by FastWoman