IGNORED

E-tek RACING '71 Parts Car Resto

e-tek

Great progress on the car! Seems that once the metal work is done it's just smooth sailing to the finish!

The metalwork is definitely one of the two hardest parts of a rebuild, but I don't loathe it like I do sanding! Once it's in paint, the job becomes a joy ride of putting together clean and/or new parts. I'm sure it's what keeps most of us going though the tough days.

Not sure if I ever posted our other Zed. I built this one on 1994, for my then girlfriend (now my wife) to race in Vancouver, BC at Westwood Raceway. She was also doing some modelling at the time, which helped in getting sponsorship! We sold it in 2003 to a guy who raced it at Gimli for a few years. I believe it's currently sits in his Dad's garage in Regina, SK.

Shan1%2520%25283%2529-1.jpg

Got started on the right side yesterday.

post-18557-14150822916001_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150822916248_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150822916493_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150822916736_thumb.jpg

You can see that the wheel arch had been done before. This part will be OK to work around, but unfortunately, they just went over the rusty bits with new metal under the bumper indent - which is really gonna be a pain to fix up....

post-18557-14150822916978_thumb.jpg

Today I'l get the new quarter patch fitted up.

post-18557-14150822915671_thumb.jpg

Lots of fitting and welding of stuff no-one will ever see!

This is the inner dog leg area on the Datsun. It joins the rocker to the quarter panel and is also the tie-in for the seat belt bolt. When I bought a set of foors, quarters and inners from a member on ClassicZ.com, he also gave me a couple of these sections that where cut from a donor vehicle. I definitely needed this piece here!

113_3846.JPG

113_3848.JPG

113_3849.JPG

113_3864.JPG

With the backing piece in place, I added a piece to the rocker...

113_3865.JPG

Behind the wheel well was also rusted out (surprise, surprise...)...

113_3855.JPG

So I made this piece to repace the rusted bits -

113_3858.JPG

113_3861.JPG

And after a few hours of welding, grinding, prep, paint and sealer..... it all gets completely covered by the quarter panel.

113_3867.JPG

Tomorrow being a holiday (February never used to have a holiday, so they made one up, called "Family Day") I'll be able to get more shop-time in!!! LOL!

Hi Dan! Funny/terrible how time flies eh? That was a few years back and I finally got to using them (or part of one anyways). Definitely made that repair as good as it could be - thanks again! I have helped a few people now who couldn't get their projects done for one reason or another, but seeing your thread looks like you're making good progress!

Edited by e-tek

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little clean up on the floors and quarters today. This week I'll do some metal work on the front aprons and left rocker, then I'll be ready to flip it over and finish up the underside.

106_3944.JPG

106_3945.JPG