IGNORED

240Z Auction - Barrett Jackson

jtmader

Almost two years ago I sugested what Travel'n man says in this thread. I wasn't a memember at that time but said it to someone who was intrested in buying my 71 series 1 39K all orginal 240. (he was a mamber) He posted my remarks at the tiem and I was called all sorts of names. I got the word about what was said and joined the site. I spoke openly with Carl, Arnie and Mike about how this group could control the market as any good car gets discussed here. They all have said that price on cars good orginal cars today are much different than several years ago. Good orginal cars are getting harder and harder to find. I'm about to place my car on e-bay again and I hope to get around $20K+ for it. Here is a link with about 80 photo's

http://s836.photobucket.com/albums/zz285/Atannen/

CK1,

Good luck - I am trying to sell mine as well. I still maintain the Z is a hard sell outside this group. From my experience, it seems people believe there are plenty of examples left, and unless they really want a Z, they tend to be tire kickers.

I've had 20+ people look at my car. I've had people almost yell at me because I am selling my car too cheap. I've had awards given to my car. I've seen worse cars sell for more than mine. I've advertised on eBay, ClassicZCars, Craiglist, ZCAR.com, local paper, AutoShopper and a few others.

Yet, I still can't sell it. Leads me to believe that there isn't as strong a market for these as many think. I am sure I'll get heat for saying it, but frankly, I am tired of low ball offers and tire kickers.

$25K to $30k for a 1973 with 71,000 miles? I doubt it, especially in this economy. I don't think Barrett Jackson is the right place to sell a Z or any other Japanese car yet. My guess is $12K to $15K tops. .......

For reference, here is the information for the 1973 being auctioned in Oct, and for the last five Z's sold at Barret Jackson.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=303&ln=319&pop=0&it=1

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=243&ln=906.1&pop=0&it=1

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=221&ln=325&pop=0&it=1

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=54&ln=309&pop=0&it=1

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=51&ln=408&pop=0&it=1

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=51&ln=617&pop=0&it=1

-Mike

I guess you could be right, my estimate was based on watching a few B-J auctions and seeing how crazy people got over some American muscle cars. But a quick perusal of the prior sale list you posted shows that all those cars were restored or modified in some way. As someone said, if it has the original paint I'll still say it goes over $20K (so what if I'm wrong... I won't be the one paying for it! ) :cool:

The first one shows no price and the last one which is somewhat modded and I really would question that someone paid $23K+ for that car though stranger things have happened. If you throw out the high and the low, you get an average of just under $13K. That seems to support rdefabri's conclusion:

Leads me to believe that there isn't as strong a market for these as many think.
That would not make one want to look into these as investments at this point and time. And I don't think you can really put that on the present state of the economy. Muscle cars and non-Japanese exotics seem to still be selling at fairly obnoxiously high prices.

Wonder what they did to this one to get 250 HP out of it. The advertised 2.4L engine looks pretty stock, with the addition of a header and round top carbs. It went for $23,100, so it must've had something unseen in the two pictures provided.

Plus, having already had a mention in a major car mag (and a copy presumably available with the car?) is probably worth a little extra for someone who cares about that kind of stuff.

Muscle cars and non-Japanese exotics seem to still be selling at fairly obnoxiously high prices.

Yep, agreed. The reason I am selling the Z is that I am looking to acquire a Ferrari. You can't believe some of the junk I've looked at and the outrageous prices. As I know Ferraris pretty well, I understand there's a built-in premium, but what some people would pay is ridiculous - yet some of these cars seem immune to the economic downturn.

Yep, agreed. The reason I am selling the Z is that I am looking to acquire a Ferrari. You can't believe some of the junk I've looked at and the outrageous prices. As I know Ferraris pretty well, I understand there's a built-in premium, but what some people would pay is ridiculous - yet some of these cars seem immune to the economic downturn.

Ferraris are rare to start with, Zs only become rare with age. There is within the demographic that is spending ridiculous amounts on old muscle cars a very strong, but mostly unstated bias against Japanese cars. The big block U.S. iron reminds them of the "good old days" when gas was cheap and displacement was power.

In most of the U.S., Japanese cars became popular only after the oil crisis and emissions controls choked the life out of the big three. There may be exceptions but most of the muscle car crowd judges cars by cubic inches, with 327 being the minimum acceptable number. The 146 to 170 of a Z car just doesn't make the grade.

There may be exceptions but most of the muscle car crowd judges cars by cubic inches, with 327 being the minimum acceptable number. The 146 to 170 of a Z car just doesn't make the grade.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the above statement. But, I will take one of our Z cars before any Camaro or a Mustang. IMO they are a dime a dozen and that is why I decided to put my money into a Z car and because I had one back in the '70's. I go to shows and see dozens of Fords and Chevy's but I don't see any Z cars. There are always a lot of people looking at my car and there is ALWAYS a story that starts with "My buddy had a Z and.................".

Regardless of the market, regardless of the value, I'd do it again............it's not all about horsepower for most of us. There is a style that none of the muscle cars have or have ever had. It's about sexy, curves, excitement, twistys..........need I say any more? Any fool can go fast in a straight line!!

Get in my BMW X-5 and then get in a Tahoe..........I will promise you, it will be the last time you drive a Tahoe...........same thing!

There's just something fundamentally wrong in my opinion when the auction house gets 10% from the seller and another 10% from the buyer. It's all grandstanding and hype designed to generate more profits for Barrette Jackson. I wouldn't consider bidding on any car under those terms. I agree that it is not the best venue to offer up a Z car. How many potential buyers do you think are planning to attend to bid on the Z, knowing that ultimately that extra 20% that Barrette Jackson gets will be paid by the buyer because the seller has factored that into the price already. Better deals can be found elsewhere. Just my opinion.