IGNORED

1976 water temperature switch

saridout

i need a replacement water temp switch for my 1976, but unfortunately nissan doesn't make them anymore and i can't find any third party suppliers. i noticed that MSA sells a water temp switch for a '74 that looks very similar to mine, albeit with different connectors on the wires. has anyone ever used one of these to replace the switch in a 280? do the threads even match? being that one is from a fuel injected vehicle and the other is not, would they function the same? here are photos of a 1976 switch and the MSA switch:

post-18856-14150808268489_thumb.jpg

post-18856-14150808269142_thumb.jpg

saridout,

I started a thread about this "temperature switch" on Hybrid Z a while back. Here is the link: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130436. There is a link at the end of the thread which may be helpful in finding a source for this switch (oops, just checked the link, it leads to the same part number that webdawg1 just posted).

Basically, that switch is used to select which pickup in the dual-pickup distributor is used. I assume it switches from the retarded pickup to the advanced pickup when the engine warms up, but it could be the other way around. It may also have some EGR functionality if your car is so equipped (mine is not).

If you cannot find a replacement switch you could run without it (you might need to jumper the switch leads to trick the car into using the advanced pickup all the time), or you could convert to a newer distributor which doesn't use dual pickups.

I got a 1979 280ZX distributor complete with ignition module (part number 31-619) at AutoZone for $105.00, their ordering system says the distributor does not include module but I have bought 2 of them (one for myself and one for a friend) and they both came with modules. Instructions for this modification can be found here if you are interested. http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

I hope this helps,

Steve

Edited by YellowFever

It that switch on (continuity) or off (no continuity) at operating temp? If it's off I may have something that would work.

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked at the switches I have and if the ones posted above are correct, the threads on mine don't match.

Edited by sblake01

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the switch on the '74 was to indicate overheating (i.e. for a dummy light). If your engine is cooling normally, the switch would never close. You probably need a switch that trips at a lower temperature than the one you found (i.e. the '74).

But then again, I don't know much about anything prior to '75.

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the switch on the '74 was to indicate overheating (i.e. for a dummy light). If your engine is cooling normally, the switch would never close. You probably need a switch that trips at a lower temperature than the one you found (i.e. the '74).

But then again, I don't know much about anything prior to '75.

74? The switch we're talking about was on a 75-76 and was there to select which pickup in the dual-pickup distributor was used, as stated earlier.

saridout,

I started a thread about this "temperature switch" on Hybrid Z a while back. Here is the link: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130436. There is a link at the end of the thread which may be helpful in finding a source for this switch (oops, just checked the link, it leads to the same part number that webdawg1 just posted).

yeah, i've already checked at courtesy nissan, that part is no longer made. :/

Basically, that switch is used to select which pickup in the dual-pickup distributor is used. I assume it switches from the retarded pickup to the advanced pickup when the engine warms up, but it could be the other way around. It may also have some EGR functionality if your car is so equipped (mine is not).

from what i've been reading (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1028472), the 74 had the same kind of distributor, which would lead me to believe that the 74 water temp switch functioned the same way. my car is EGR equipped; but to affect the EGR, the switch would just have to signal to it as it's passing through on the way to the ignition module, right?

i may end up buying the 74 switch just to give it a try. if it works, then it'll be a solution for this problem that other folks can use too. back before i started rebuilding my engine, my car was constantly running way too rich. Could a disconnected water temp switch have precipitated this?

i'm also asking about whether the water temp switch from a 74 might work in a 76. see my photos :)
Oh, that's very different, never mind!:) My apologies to FastWoman. Does your present switch have any markings on it? Such as, 35-OFF, or something along those lines?