IGNORED

Datsun 240Z Barn find Restoration! cont.

mattbibbey

I've just moved the thread from the HELP!!!! section because I figured it was a bit more appropriate here.

I have already got all the carpets out and the seats, which were unusually difficult, and have discovered that the drivers side floor pan is totally knackered, i can see the road through it and the rest feels like it's made of tin foil and cardboard :0( Next to come out this afternoon is the vinyl. EEEEK!!

Thanks to anyone who follows my thread!

Matt

There's also something underneath that looks a bit like chassis that is rotted through and bent! Any idea what it is?

That will be one of the floor support rails. You will need to cut it off and re place. a fabricators will be able to make them for you for a few quid.

I am in the midst of restoring 2 240s so if you need any help just PM me I am in Sheffield UK;)

ok. yesterday i pulled out the rest of the vinyl and also remove the rear quarter glass and the front windscreen! It took me a long time to get the windscreen out, is that normal? There's a couple of patches of rust at the bottom of where the rubber was, it's gone through in two tiny places.

Good news, my triple webers arrived today from Italy, they look brand new!! Might have to sell them to pay for all the other stuff the car needs! haha.

I've added more pictures to "My Z Photos"

Looks great so far. That floor board is going to have to be cut out and changed. This project is moving along at Wheeler Dealer speed, you would think you got Edd China on the job. I always enjoy retoration threads. What brand triples you running? For vinyl replace www.classicdatusn.com or www.datsunspirit.com would be best, both guys know and love datsuns.

Hi guys, I'm having some serious problems! I can't get the dash board off! I've undone all the bolts (I think) and i can tell that there's something to do with the heater that's preventing me lifting it clear. How do I disconnect that for a start?

Did anyone see the front wings on my pictures? I've looked them over and there's only a small patch of rust on the bottom of the right side one, none at all on the left one!!! RESULT!!

If anyone can explain to me how the dash comes away I'd be very grateful.

Thanks once again

Matt

Here's a search:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/search.php?searchid=794533

I searched for Heater Control Panel as that is what is holding you back. The cables to the panel must be released for the dash to come out of the car. Don't try to remove them at the control levers, remove them at the items they control, i.e. vent, heater flap, defrost flap, water valve.

Here are two of the more pertinent articles:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20818

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6981

HTH

E

Edited by EScanlon