IGNORED

Stainless Steel Bumpers for 240Z

geezer

Stainless is great, but I agree with Oiluj; I've never seen stainless shine as well as a good chrome job. It would be a tough decision if I were currently in the market for replacement...

If they are a copy of the UK bumper, then i'm 99% sure it is the early model, being that that model also came on the 260Z

There have also been some discussion on VCZ in australia about some making new bumpers there, you might want to jump over there and do a search.

Chris

New ebay bumper

This is the same company I have been in negotiations for well over a year to have these and a multitude of other S30 pieces made in stainless steel. I am sure their quality is high even if their business practices leave something to be desired...

Will

quite correct sir.

we also have very sound contact here in u.k who will 'eventually' distribute these once he's happy with the 'final' product.

i think he may be implying that although the quality of the product will be excellent, the final fitment snags may 'still 'need sorting.

they have possiibly jumped the gun in advertising them too soon.

Type of stainless is key - I have the latest ''stainless'' from our far eastern friends with other products - and it simply does NOT stand up to regular old school quality stainless . Real stuff would be twice that price I would guess...

The type of stainless would be interesting to know, but quality of the polish is the key to corrosion resistance. But that's a lot of money, but what else is available?

304 stainless according to the Ebay ad.

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=abc4415b0f8b490387e3c922237098da&ckck=1

It has a pretty low yield strength so it would dent relatively easily.

Steve

Edited by doradox

More news here:

I heard back from my contact, and he sent me the following delivery pricing.

This pricing does not include import taxes, which all items purchased in quantity and coming through the port will have. It looks like they are playing with the country of origin.

Maybe the thing to do here is a a group buy, not a purchase for resale.

I'll get some tax and delivery info over the next few days.

Will

bumper$.bmp

This is also being discussed on the british Zclub, it is said that the quality isn't high enough yet, maybe it would be a good idea to have a test sample send over before making a group buy.

On ebay UK his ad state that the location is in UK, but shipping is £79 witch is quite a bit high for UK domestic shipping, it should be more like £20, isn't it against ebay policity to list a item location that is not correct ?

Chris

Had I known about this before I got my bumpers re-chromed, it would have posed an interesting dilemma for me. I ended up ditching the over-riders, bumperettes and rubber strips and just having the holes welded shut, then getting them re-chromed. The look is very nice, but the lack of rubber strips makes me worry that a little ding will mess up my bumper. The rubber strips are hard to find and are expensive, so if these come with the rubber strips, I might have tried them, especially given the corrosion resistance.

I guess I gotta give Les at Classicdatsun a plug for handling my re-chrome. I asked him to suggest a shop, as I can't find any good ones locally. He recommended the shop near him, and suggested I ship my bumpers to him. He says that the shop still uses the old copper-cyanide method, which produces the best quality chrome. He got them done up and shipped them back to me. The total cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of $1100, including shipping. Les told me that he'd be happy to arrange a similar deal for others. I've only had the bumpers on the car for a couple of months, but I'm very happy with them so far.

Matt

Thanks for the update Will. I will have to wait until all the numbers are in to decide what to do. I would also have to pay the duty & taxes coming into Canada if I entered into a US based group buy.