IGNORED

1970 Z Refresh...biting the bullet

motorman7

Well, we (my son and I) got the engine block out smoothly. As soon as it was out, we began pulling parts off of it to prep for paint. We stripped it down to a short block. After cleaning the block (wire wheel and lacuer thinner primarily) We wiped it down and I applied several coats of the blue engine block paint. It looks very nice! Will apply a couple more coats later.

I do have one question though. What is the color of the oil pan? Mine is complete chaos. There is black over the blue and prominent weld marks on the outside. The is also a nice white quality V mark on the black portion on the bottom that I would like to keep. I am leaning toward black for the entire thing. I would like to tape over the quality 'V' and leave it on the pan.

Rich

post-19125-14150807487069_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807487664_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807488244_thumb.jpg

The cylinders look great, so I will not be doing anything with the pistons or crank. The cylinders actually have the original cross-hatching on them still. I was happy to see that. Not much carbon on top of the pistons either. We cleaned that off and taped to the top front and bottom before paint.

We did have one glitch. Broke one of the head bolts off in the block. The bolt broke near the head so I have some body to work with. I put several doses of liquid wrench on (it worked for the smog rails). Will add more and work on this after the paint is done. Hopefully this comes out OK. I have learned not to rush this, let the solvent do its job.

I originally did not want to take the head off, but had a very minor leak near the back (passenger side) between the head and the block. Also, it will be easier to clean and paint this way. Also allowed me to check the cylinders.

Looks like I will need a new cluthch plate also. It is looking pretty worn. It has maybe 10K more miles on it before I hit the rivets. Time to change it.

Rich

What's your engine serial #, Rich? As you describe the oil pan, it sounds like you have an early one. Check your head stud lengths - you might have three different sizes. Those engines were painted after assembly and you will notice blue and black overspray on various parts. Blue overspray on the aluminum head and front timing cover. Blue overspray on a black oil pan and maybe some black overspray on the block from the oil pan and engine mounts. I put my engine back together with the overspray as it was originally painted. Some people prefer the clean look. The weld marks on your oil pan signify an early engine; unique to the early cars. A damper plate was welded on to the oil pans because of vibration. I would like to see pictures of the V!

Hi Chris,

The engine serial number is 005353. I re-painted the block Nissan blue, but taped over the yellow inspection 'blob' so it will remain. I also left the engine serial number unpainted and will put a clear coat over it. I will get you a pic of the oil pan later today with the inspection 'V'. I will see what condition the pan is in and see if just a clean will be sufficient. Maybe just some touch up. It reminds me of a 'tie dye' 70's t-shirt.

The overspray on the engines is funny. The heater hose 'Y' had overspray on it. Makes me wonder how the first units were manufactured.

Now, need to find out where to get new head bolts. Not sure if they can be re-used.

Hi Rich:

Nissan recommends that the head bolts be replaced, not reused. With that early engine I'd replace them with the newer Turbo Head Bolts, they hold more torque.

Also, if you replace the clutch disk - be sure to have the flywheel resurfaced.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for the input on that Carl, I will go ahead and order those. Seems like most manufacturers recommend replacement now a days.

I will replace the clutch disc and get the flywheel turned as you mentioned. I will also replace the pilot bushing.

Thanks again for the help.

Rich

My son and I spent most of the day cleaning and painting parts. Most of the time was spent cleaning the aluminum pieces. We also replaced the rear seal with an NOS rear seal.

I took a couple pics of the inspection marks; one on the engine and one on the oil pan. I decided to leave them because I thought they were pretty cool. Plus they are both on the underside of the engine so not very visible.

Still not doing much assembly at this point. I will have to wait for the head bolts to come before I start putting the engine back together.

Rich

post-19125-1415080749069_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807491292_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807491967_thumb.jpg

Rich, way to go man! If you have any interest in a set of 16x7 nicely polished enkie 92 mesh wheels let me know. I was going the Ebay or Craigslist route but will offer the S.D zcar guys first dibbs.

Rex

Edited by rexz

Rich, way to go man! If you have any interest in a set of 16x7 nicely polished enkie 92 mesh wheels let me know. I was going the Ebay or Craigslist route but will offer the S.D zcar guys first dibbs.

Rex

Real nice of you Rex to offer. We we see you at the next meeting?

Rich, I really like what you are doing with the car, you son will always remember these days of working on the car with dad. I hope you can still do an event or two with our club as well.

Rich, I really like what you are doing with the car, you son will always remember these days of working on the car with dad. I hope you can still do an event or two with our club as well.

Thanks David! When I get this finished I'd love to join in the events.

Rich

Those engines were painted after assembly and you will notice blue and black overspray on various parts. Blue overspray on the aluminum head and front timing cover. Blue overspray on a black oil pan and maybe some black overspray on the block from the oil pan and engine mounts. I put my engine back together with the overspray as it was originally painted. Some people prefer the clean look. The weld marks on your oil pan signify an early engine; unique to the early cars. A damper plate was welded on to the oil pans because of vibration. I would like to see pictures of the V!

Was cleaning parts last night and ran across everything you noted above. It's really very amusing to look this stuff over. There is blue paint on the head, intake manifold, timing chain, cover and oil pan. I have one motor mount that is mostly black and one that is mostly blue. Among this there are the numerous paint runs on the (mostly) blue block. Very random and creative.

I am trying to imagine the scenario's in which a paint job can turn out this bad on the assembly line. My two main thoughts are that the paint guys supervisor gave him 15 seconds to paint the engines, or they were employing children, or drunks (but not drunk children). Anyway, I posted a couple of the inspection marks which will remain.

Rich