IGNORED

1970 Z Refresh...biting the bullet

motorman7

Eiji's bolt kits do have the original numbers stamped on them. These are true Nissan bolts. I believe he gets all his parts from Japan.

And it's spelled Eiji Hosomi not Aiji. Pronounced Agee

Edited by five&dime

OK, its off to Classic Datsun to get parts plated. Some of these large parts I am not sure how to handle, so I will bring them as they are and see what Les recommends. The bucket has all the bolts, washers and clamps and other items, all cleaned with cleaner and the wire wheel. The washers and bolts aren't bad to clean, but the clamps are a pain (still have all my fingers so it was worth it). I love the clamp. They are works of art (though my brother-in-law the Honda mechanic hates them). Not easy to use, but they sure are pretty.

I will go with all the original bolts, they all seem to be in pretty good condition. They just need the plating.

post-19125-1415080747278_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807473395_thumb.jpg

Eiji's bolt kits do have the original numbers stamped on them. These are true Nissan bolts. I believe he gets all his parts from Japan.

And it's spelled Eiji Hosomi not Aiji. Pronounced Agee

Thanks, that's good to know. I have pretty much gone though my car replacing bolts and fasteners with original OEM fasteners. having talked with Eiji about other things, he a terrific person to work with.

Dan

I think the bucket picture showed these hose clamp types. The bent wire with the 3-hole retainer and a phillips head (rounded) machine screw. If you have this type, it's silver zinc plating, not the golden cad plating. Here are some pictures from a 1970 Z with 18,000 original miles. It was at the Syracuse convention.

post-4148-14150807474677_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150807475023_thumb.jpg

I have no plans to lower the car, but would like to get some 16 x 7 Panasports with 205/60s for driving.
Rich, for 16" you'll want 205/55-16, not 205/60. The 60s will be taller than stock. Or you could do 205/60-15 on 15x7s, about the same height as stock.

Nice bucket! Your hose clamps were originally zinc silver, not cad gold. I see some other stuff that should be silver zinc too.

You are correct, although I was not aware of this. When we brought the parts to Classic Datsun, Les informed me that there were two different types of coating. So, we (uh, Les) separated them into two piles, cad gold and silver zinc. The clamps are silver zinc as well as some of the bolts/screws. There were also some items that we could not do because of incompatible material.

Rich, for 16" you'll want 205/55-16, not 205/60. The 60s will be taller than stock. Or you could do 205/60-15 on 15x7s, about the same height as stock.

Thanks for the input. I was kind of guessing on the tire size. I will go with the 16X7's for the rim.

Rich

I hope your son was wearing a good mask while doing all that wire wheeling, That zinc dust is some nasty stuff and not very good for you. I spent two days doing this before I realized the mistake I was making and ended up wiht a hacking cough for a few days. Hopefully I didn't do any permanent damage...