IGNORED

1970 Z Refresh...biting the bullet

motorman7

Rich.......Contact Aiji at datsunspirit.com, he will sell you all new original cad plated bolts (front cover,thermostat,valve cover, exhaust studs, bolts and fat washers, oil pan bolts etc.). The kit has everything packaged and marked. If I remember it was $135.00 including freight. Aiji is a great guy to work with and loves the L series motors. Guy

Rich.......Contact Aiji at datsunspirit.com, he will sell you all new original cad plated bolts (front cover,thermostat,valve cover, exhaust studs, bolts and fat washers, oil pan bolts etc.). The kit has everything packaged and marked. If I remember it was $135.00 including freight. Aiji is a great guy to work with and loves the L series motors. Guy

Guy,

Do the bolts in Aiji's kit have the same numbers cast into the face of the bolt heads? Depending on there use, the originals had either a 4, or 7, or 9 cast into the bolt heads. Many of the bolts with the correct part numbers I have ordered from Nissan are identical to the originals except for these numbers as rarely the numbers are there.

And I grant you, this is only important to fanatics like me.

Dan

Dan......I've bought 4 packs from Aiji and they are beautiful.....I don't know if the numbers on the heads are correct, but you can e mail him to see. I do know that they are Nissan. Here's my latest build http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31001using his stuff. Guy

WOW, that motor is sweet! That is definitely something to shoot for. The aluminum looks incredible (as does the zinc).

Rich

Boy, this refresh is starting to get a little scarey. There are a lot of nuts and bolts on this car and a lot of parts. Was not feeling too bad until I hit the carbs (which I saved for last). That starts to get a little tricky. Most of the carb parts aren't bad, but everything really must go so they look the same. Will tackle this animal tomorrow. The plan is to get the parts to Classic Datsun for plating this Thursday. No pics tonite, even though I took tons. I took pics of the nuts and bolts with their respective components. This should help the assembly once I get there.

Rich

Thanks Rich.....I'm restoring a Safari Gold 71 also......If done right, it's a beautiful color.......wheels and lowering really set it off! http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25643

I have no plans to lower the car, but would like to get some 16 x 7 Panasports with 205/60s for driving. I hate driving around in the original hubcaps for two reasons. First, I am worried that someone will take them (I think if I tried I could get all of them off the wheels in 30 seconds). Second, I once had one come off during a hard cornering maneuver (although that was over 30 years ago. A funny story goes along with that. I will share it eventually). So, will have to get some someday so I can drive around comfortably without any worries.

Best Regards,

Rich

OK, so maybe the carbs are not too bad. I did a quick clean and the zinc on these looks pretty reasonable. In fact, there is still a bit of the rainbow effect in some areas. I will clean these up further in the next several days and hopefully they will be OK as is. If not, I will have to get these pieces plated also. For now I will wait.

I have about half of the parts cleaned up for plating. Will have my son try and get the other half finished up today, so I can take them in tomorrow AM.

Finally got the last two smog rail fittings loose. The rail is now ready for clean and plate. That was a chore.

Also got some of the final bolts in the engine bay removed, so progress is going well.

Rich

post-19125-14150807439244_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807439823_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807440466_thumb.jpg

To remove gunk and stain from my fuel rails, I submersed in pure Muriatic acid ($8.00 per gallon) for 3 minutes, then washed thoroughly in hot soapy water....blow out the rails with air. 35 years of crud disappeared immediately!! I used this procedure on all the plated parts. When they came back from the plate shop they looked like brand new. Whatever you do, don't use steel wool or sand-paper as it will screw up the plate work. Great job. Guy

• Like 1

Well, Looks like I am really going to take the plunge here. The car drips a couple drops of oil from the rear seal (I think) every week. Not a bad leak, but it is a leak. And, with the engine this stripped, it is only a couple bolts to remove it. This will also make painting the block a heck of a lot easier. So, looks like I will pull the engine this Saturday. A friend has a hoist and a spare engine stand so I will use those. Now, it's time to order an engine gasket kit with rear seal included. Will also check the clutch plate while every thing is apart. Ahh, what was once a simple zinc re-fresh has now turned into quite a project. Good thing it's not my daily driver. Will keep posting as things progress.

Rich