IGNORED

what is Nissan coming to??

DatsunZsRule

Me personally I think it's an eye sore. Sorry to you "Yung Market" people :) I'm the old school type and love a car with cool curves and lines like our Z's. That thing looks like a flipped over bath tub on wheels :laugh: But hey we all have different tasts :)

I think they can make a sharp sporty looking vehicle thats both Practical and affordable and turns heads (In a good way :) Like the looks I get driving my Z. Not the kinda look like "What in the hell is that hidious thing???")

Just voicing my personal opinion about it. If the "cube" is your kind of style, then more power to you :) It's sure not my cup of tea :D

Edited by DatsunZsRule

I find myself looking at Boxsters. Not especially pretty, but the handling....

I like the Boxsters too. I saw a nice red one sitting on a used car lot today....had to talk myself into not stopping and having a look. Already have too many toys....

As far as the Cube goes.....it's just Nissan trying to cash on in the Scion xB market. Personally, its not really my type of vehicle.

Notice that I didn't say anything about the Cube. I guess I was trying the 'if you can't say anything nice' routine. I will say that you couldn't give me on of those. But that goes for most of the 'modern' styled vehicles, Scion, Echo, Yaris, anything built by Chrysler, etc. Just not my style and never will be. That GTO is kind of a reach for me styling wise and if it wasn't for what's underneath that skin........

I drive a Ford. I drive it just about every day (except Thursdays when I don't drive a car at all.) So does everyone on my family, except my mom who has a Lincoln. Even my ancestors drove Fords- they even worked for Mr. Ford.

I happen to have an antique sportscar that is from Japan- the Japan that was before they ruined the American ecoonomy. I only drive that car a couple times a week. I will never buy a new Asian car, and I have sent many emails and a few letters to the domestic auto makers to start making or purchasing every last part from domestic producers.

thxZ

I don't think that I even want to get into this but... just how exactly did Japan ruin the American economy? *pushes soap box forward for you to stand on*

And BTW, a Lincoln is a Ford. They're a subsidiary.

Just like that cool volvo prototype that had all the small triangle windows in the A pillar. So that you could see through it while also retaining a metal structure to tie in to the hood for strength.

I remember reading all about how great it was. But it's not like they would ever do that on a production car.

The Prius has something similar on it's A-pillar. Because of the rake on the front windshield, there is a small triangular window at the base of the A-pillar.

IMHO Nissan would have been FAR better off bringing the BEVEL to market... with greatly enhanced performance.

http://www.nissannews.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=1E944926E14E3EC7FED681BF54818D70?mid=171&id=425

Carl, IMHO that car personifies FUGLY. Right up there in Aztek territory.

I recall seeing Nissan Cubes in Japan a couple of years ago. I wasn't very impressed at the time. There was a Nissan dealer at a car show our local club supported in Muncie this spring that had a Cube, and I was really impressed at the amount of room inside the car. From the inside it is very upright and roomy, like a 4 door pickup truck without the bed. (FWD however...)

It resembles a downsized Ford Flex, for about half the price. (Appropriate since it is half the size.)

I fear that I may have a new "ignore" person on the site soon...;)

(Steve knows who I mean. Sorry to say.)

I don't quite like the styling of the Cube but it seems new models always take a while to grow on me. Took one for a drive last week and was very impressed with the room in there. I could definately see taking it on a road trip! The Cube is based on the Sentra platform and drives and performs similiarly. I've heard that it will be going all electric in the very near future. Can't wait to drive that one!

Again, we are all different. If we all liked the same stuff this world would be a boring place :) Along with Nissan I'm also a big Mopar guy. Every mopar I've had has never left me stranded. Right now my everyday driver is a '05 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8. I just love it. Very sharp looking rig and It's just the right size (Not too small and underpowered, yet not over kill too big and fits in my garage nice. Perfect size truck for my needs and with the 5 speed automatic, it gets actually pretty good gas mileage for a V8 (About 20MPG on the highway.

I'll have to wait to truly chime in on the Cube since I've not seen one in person, but I will say the Kia Soul looks pretty sharp in person.

The one Nissan I wish would be sold here in the US is the Almera. Comfortable, sporty (in looks, to me anyway), practical, and spacious.

post-11908-14150807410196_thumb.jpg

All this talk about domestic vs. import is ridiculous.

Eventhough they began as "Asian" and "American" markets, they're now global juggernauts.

GM manufactures A LOT of its stuff in Mexico. Engines, brake components etc. (ask me how I know. My parents have owned SEVERAL brand new GM vehicles since 2000 and all have had the brakes FLAKE apart due to improper metal treating manufactured in Mexico. Of course out of warranty at 35,000kms.... Every - Single - Time. 35,000-45,000kms.

My father finally got sick of buying American pieces of Junk that are in the shop more than their driveway. Their 2002 Envoy they'd bought brand new was in every 3 weeks for something fairly serious.

GM's problem was quality control. Overpaid, underworked empoloyees who have a sense of entitlement. (And I have family members who worked there for years and laugh at how much of a joke it is.)

Anyway, it irks me to know end when people get that B.S. patriotic sentiment that "buying american" is somehow superior? Congrats, you're padding some CEO's wallet and funding overpaid employees while they sub the work out to chinese metal companies and Mexico.

Not to mention, part of GM's product line IS import. The Vibe was a Toyota, the Suzuki Swift was also used, etc.

GLOBAL. They're all GLOBAL. Honda has a HUGE plant right here in Ontario and my Gilrfriend's mom works for a company that manufactures Honda seats here in Ontario.

WOW Tom, Like clockwork, you chime in with some lame excuse for a post. The fun never ends with you, does it?

If you spent some time looking at other websites, you'd find that Nissan, Toyota and a few other "Asian" market cars are manufactured either in whole or in part right here in the "Good Ol' USA. And employ Thousands of people, nation wide.

Chrystler won't be able to claim that for too long, will they? I feel real sorry for those who have recently purchased from them, unknowing that they would be screwed in the future. Where the hell did the BILLIONS of Our dollars go, that they recieved to Bail themselves out?

FWIW

Dave

$^!#! look what I started now :rolleyes: :nervous:

No it wasn't you.

It was the typical "I'm American Man! Buy American! You want a Job? Buy American" attitude.

Meanwhile every single moron with that attitude can be found with a "Buy Domestic" or "Out of a Job yet? Keep buying Foreign" bumper sticker. Dumping their paycheques at the local Wal-Mart on a Friday night happily buying everything that's "Made In China" and helping them to underpay their employees to help the rich save a buck and get richer.

I just don't understand some peoples' lack of education or grip on reality. If you can operate a computer to post on a forum, use it to read up on some facts about what you're buying and WHERE it's coming from if you're so concerned. Get off the high horse of telling everyone else what to do because YOU are misled and think you're superior for following through with your dillusional self-fulfilling prophecy.

/Rant

Edited by LowCarbZ

I agree with Mike, horsepower can be overated. Seven years ago I went to buy my first sportscar. I drove lots of different sportscars (including a Boxster) and at the end of the day I picked a Miata because it was so balanced. Nothing like winding it up and still not be very far over the speed limit. The 240 is not far behind, very balanced and fun to wind up.

I bought a used BMWZ4 coupe because the Miata was just too loud on the freeway (got to the point where I almost needed to wear ear plugs). Great ride... smooth, quiet, and much much faster than what I ever need. At some point down the road I may retire and have to reduce the number of cars (my wife doesn't understand why I need three cars that have a total seating capacity of six) and the Z4 will go before the Miata or the 240.

Maybe I'll live in someplace some day where I can utlize the extra HP, or even better have affordable access to a track.

Jack T

No it wasn't you.

It was the typical "I'm American Man! Buy American! You want a Job? Buy American" attitude.

Meanwhile every single moron with that attitude can be found with a "Buy Domestic" or "Out of a Job yet? Keep buying Foreign" bumper sticker. Dumping their paycheques at the local Wal-Mart on a Friday night happily buying everything that's "Made In China" and helping them to underpay their employees to help the rich save a buck and get richer.

I just don't understand some peoples' lack of education or grip on reality. If you can operate a computer to post on a forum, use it to read up on some facts about what you're buying and WHERE it's coming from if you're so concerned. Get off the high horse of telling everyone else what to do because YOU are misled and think you're superior for following through with your dillusional self-fulfilling prophecy.

/Rant

TomoHawk's been at that for the entire time he's been a member of this site. Every now and then I call him on it but it does no good. You'll just get madder and madder. He won't even answer once things get too hot. PM'ing him to tell him how you feel is also a waste of time because he won't answer those either. What was his quoue? Something like:

"These are some of my opinions about things, so if you don't agree with any of this stuff, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. OK? My opinions are my own and so they are considered FACTS."

Sorry if I got a couple of the words wrong, Tom (Tomo?-what is your name, really?), I'm going from memory but that's the general gist of what you said on your website. If that's really how you feel you shouldn't post those sentiments on a public forum because your remarks seem to be designed to generate comments.

Edited by sblake01

This thread is taking an off topic and ugly turn. Come on guys lets not go into attack mode here :D

Not saying I disagree with you Stephen but forget about replying to Tomo. Do like I do - Just Consider the source and Roll your eyes, shake your head and move forward. Life is too short :)

Now lets get back to B.Sing about cars :D

Not really replying to him. Just stating an opinion. I'm entitled to as he is. And, believe me, I do consider the source. At least three other people reacted to his crap, and that's exactly what it is, crap. I'm not the only one. Yes, lets get back to cars. I think I understand the market that cars like the Cube, Element, XB, etc. are intended to reach, I'm just not part of that market. As far as the horspower thing, even if you won't use it 99% of your driving, it's nice to have there it should you want or need to use it. I'm basically doing what Jack T. is talking about. That is, reducing the number of cars. Same scenario, 3 vehicles, a pickup, a 2 seater and a 2 dr hardtop. basically the same total seating capacity he spoke of. Those 3 will be replaced with one vehicle. But this time I want the HP!

The first thing I thought when I saw the cube was, "What the hell is that ugly thing?" I would never buy one myself, however there is a market for this sort of vehicle and like others pointed out, you play the game or you end up like GM and Chrysler. Like most interesting vehicles, the more I see it the more it grows on me. Remember the Avanti?

Edited by =Enigma=

Those 3 will be replaced with one vehicle. But this time I want the HP!

While I lament the badge engineering done with the new GTO, I totally dig that car. I wish that instead of just putting a Pontiac badge on a Holden Monaro, they had massaged the sheet metal and shown some GTO heritage. That being said, the new GTO is definitely a modern day sleeper. And I looove sleepers.

If I were you, I'd go for one of the newer ones, where they bumped the hp from 350 up to 400 (I believe). But I'd get rid of that god-awful dual cowl hood and throw an earlier one on there. Then it looks like your average everyday 2-door, but it can blow the doors off just about anything on the road.

BTW, badge engineering is not always a bad thing. Worked out great with the Pontiac G8, as it's also a Holden. I really wish they'd throw a Chevy bow tie on that thing and continue making them. :cry:

Edited by JonnyRock

Oh, I'm definately looking for an 05-06 (LS2) not an 04 (LS1). The exhaust setup is nicer on the later ones also, one pipe on each side rather than two on the left as on the 04. I guess I'll have to live with the hood.

1z2zxhg.jpgx0utc9.jpg

Edited by sblake01

I'd buy this body styling - forget the electric motor etc...

Put a 3.0L, in-line turbo six in it. Give it a standard steel roof with a good hatchback... and keep it under 2650lbs...

Like the Datsun 240-Z, beautiful styling should not be held only for cars above $50K. If Pontiac could sell the Solstice with a Turbo4 for under $29K... Nissan should be able to mass produce something with styling like this for under $29K...

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150807410878_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150807411525_thumb.jpg

Put a 3.0L, in-line turbo six in it. Give it a standard steel roof with a good hatchback... and keep it under 2650lbs...

Like the Datsun 240-Z, beautiful styling should not be held only for cars above $50K. If Pontiac could sell the Solstice with a Turbo4 for under $29K... Nissan should be able to mass produce something with styling like this for under $29K...

FWIW,

Carl B.

In today's world with pedestrian safety requirements, and where most motors need to be able to serve in FWD (transverse) applications, inline sixes are not very feasible. BMW is the only real hold-out, and they don't have to consider the transverse possibility, making only RWD/AWD vehicles.

Since Nissan already has the highly regarded V6 that they use in so many vehicles, they'd need to use it in such a car to keep development costs (and therefore final cost) down to your target price.

On the other hand, there's apparently not enough profit in nice cars at that price level. As no one seems to offer them. Except GM/Pontiac, and we know where that has gone...

Agreed. The Infiniti Essence is one sweet looking ride. If I had the $$$$ and it was offered less than $50k, I would defintely have to consider this one unless it was underpowered, but there's usually remedies for that. :)