IGNORED

Weird Myths or Facts about your Z car

TomoHawk

The Z was at Painter Ray's when a delivery guy dropped off a package. He looked at the car and asked if it was a 260 or 280? I told him it was a 240. He looked confused and said, 'never heard of that one'. I went back to sanding.

The Z had been painted and some bits put on, but no emblems. I pushed it in the drive to sweep the garage floor. A kid about 12 on a bike stopped to look at it. "Cool Ferrari, why'd ya paint it blue?"

Bonzi Lon

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have two Stories. One mistaken car identity, one just funny.

1. At the time my 73 had the tinted headlight covers. Drove by a restaurant I was meeting some friends at...Get inside and they all ask me when I got the Jaguar.

2. Driving to a carshow I see 3 little kids staring at my car. I get close enough that one of them yells "It's tiny". I looked at my wife, and replied "I get that A LOT."

Bryce

• 2 months later...

I just got my 240 about 6 weeks ago. I was out in the garage working on it that first weekend and, what do you know, an eleven-year-old boy from the neighborhood walks up and says, "Wow, is that a Datsun?!" I was absolutely amazed that the kid knew what it was. His mother told me later he was a little car nut. So, maybe there's hope for this new generation after all. :)

The new kid at my local AutoZone has one of those newer-fangled turbo V6 Z cars, but he knew all about my '78 Z. After discussing common failure modes in my Saturn's O2 sensor (why I was there), we talked archaic analog L-Jetronic stuff for several minutes. I was impressed. Yes, there's hope. :)

I just got my 240 about 6 weeks ago. I was out in the garage working on it that first weekend and, what do you know, an eleven-year-old boy from the neighborhood walks up and says, "Wow, is that a Datsun?!" I was absolutely amazed that the kid knew what it was. His mother told me later he was a little car nut. So, maybe there's hope for this new generation after all. :)

Get that kid a rag, and a 1/4 socket drive you got a helper

Not a myth, but a misperception: ;)

So my partner and I went to the grocery store last night, as we have company coming in -- LOTS of people. I asked, "should we take the Saturn," as I knew we needed lots of groceries. She said, "No, let's take the Z. The groceries will fit." At the store I had erred towards the light side, getting less, rather than more, of the bulky items like TP. My partner did the opposite. So when we got to the checkout, whe had a couple of well loaded carts that packed into three carts of bagged groceries. My partner said, "Well, I THINK it will fit," and I looked at her skeptically. (Note here: I have the '78 raised floor hatch area, with a big subwoofer already eating up some of the rear of the compartment.)

As the bag girl was bagging all our groceries, she asked, "Is ALL of this yours?!" I nodded, and she exclaimed, "NICE!" She tagged along to roll the third cart out to the car, and when she saw what it was going into, she said, "You're going to fit all of THIS into THAT?!" I said, "Supposedly," still skeptical.

So we packed the hatch up to the ceiling, nestled bottles of wine and milk in the passenger floorboard, put one bag in my partner's lap, and.... it all fit! Amazing! I said to the bag girl, "And you had your doubts!"

That was 17 paper bags, each fairly well loaded, one big box of kitty litter, 2 bags of wine, 2 gallons of milk, and a large package of TP -- almost $400 worth of groceries.

Oh yeah, the misperception/underestimation was on MY part! ;)