IGNORED

Weird Myths or Facts about your Z car

TomoHawk

The Volvo system was the Bosch D-jet system. They're good, if in proper working order, but they can't take big power increases. Guys who do that with the Volvo and want to run FI go with a Megasquirt setup for the most part and it works fine.

Greg

• 2 months later...

The 240Z had bumpers? ;) I thout it was the old Merc 'led sleds' with the 2,000 bumpers....

Even though my windscreen sunshade has in BIG letters on it, "1978 280Z," people still say, "nice 240" or "nice "ZX" :angry:

Edited by TomoHawk

I LOVE CAR SHOWS!!!!! BUT!!!!! I spend 85% of my time correcting myths, mistold stories, false statements and all around just informing people of what they need to know. So the next time they see another 240Z, they won't look like such an idiot to a possibly not so nice Z car owner.

I've just about heard them all....... Keep in mind that my 240Z is a numbers matching 70'

"I didn't know Toyota made a 240Z?" So I said "Yeah, they started making these after their TANK business went under, Kinda like what Lamborgini did with the whole farm equipment business.".....

"DUDE!!! That would look Awesome with some 22"s on there!!" Yeah, maybe 22" bicycle tires....

"See Son, this is what happens when people have too much time and money on there hands, but KIT Cars are great" I just acted like I was admiring the car, then walk to the next one down the row.

"Look Honey, a Mini 280ZX........." And YUP, she was very Blonde

"These German cars are great little grocery getters"........ At least he got the grocery getter part right, it IS my daily driver.

"I just saw a 4 door one of these last month, funny looking but kinda cool at the same time" I just said "Awesome, that WAS a rare one"

And I'm sure we've all heard something close to .....

"Why'd you swap out the V8 for a slant 6?" Cause it has better torque?

"Swapped the fuel injection for duel webers huh? I have stock S.U.'s

"Aren't these the original S14's (240SX)" I guess they are in a way...

"Where'd ya find Vynal to replace all the stock carpet?" HUH?

And the lists go on....

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Was getting my car inspected at a service station in Austin, Tx. They guy at the counter tried to tell me my car was worth $250,000. He said he used to have a 1971 240 back in the day, but he sold it because the fuel injection kept giving him problems. '71 240z w/ fuel injection? I definitely corrected him.

Whos' to say when "back in the day was". Did he say the had the car in 71 or simply that it WAS a 71 model? It could have been 1975 or later with a 280Z FI engine swapped into a 1971 car, or another powerplant entirely. I guess it's all in how you interpret that one. $250,000...LOL...don't we all wish. :)

Edited by =Enigma=

• 1 month later...

week after getting my Z from the States, my neighbour comes to greet me and says: -Nice camaro you got there!

-no sir, its not a camaro, it's Datsun

-you're kidding me, Datsun didn't make any sport cars!

-well im sorry but this is Datsun, believe it or not (at the time i didnt have any emblems installed so there was no visual confirmation) :stupid:

• 4 weeks later...

Today I bumped into my neighbor across the street, who owns a '68 Camaro that he bought new and who has lovingly kept it in very nice condition. I had just sold my '66 Mustang, which he found disappointing. I asked him how he liked my 280Z, which was sitting in the driveway. He said it's a nice looking car. He said he had a friend who once owned a 280Z and liked it, adding that he's surprised it hasn't changed any over the years. I replied, "It hasn't?" He said, "No, the new models look just like the old ones from the 70's. Long story short, he thought my car was brand new. (Now you would THINK a guy with a very nice little '68 Camaro would know better!)

Anyway, the original 280Z -- still in production! :)

• 1 year later...

i realize im quite late to the conversation haha but try owning a 1971 dodge coronet (the year they only made 4 doors)... thats the most frustrating conversation starter ive ever delt with.. "oh nice bonneville!" "thanks its a dodge coronet" "oh cool whats under the hood a 318? " no a 383 "chev?" "no a big block dodge" "no 383s are big block chevs" "no theyre small block stroker chevs that never came factory in anything.. or big block dodges.. b engine to be precise" "no"... every time... one girl said it was a wagon.. i didnt say anything back. then after these rediculous conversations theyre like yeah that things really cool are you gonna restore it? and then i give up (its rather minty concidering its a rust free dodge from 1971 with the original paint in good shape). anyways the z brings lots of confusion but that coronets a whopper when i bring it to auto class...