IGNORED

Weird Myths or Facts about your Z car

TomoHawk

In 1974 I was driving my Z cross-country and was in Wyoming when I had to have a broken headlamp replaced. Pulled into a garage, got a new lamp put in, checked it, and drove away. Next morning, I get an early start and turn on the lights - that right lamp looks REALLY bright ... then poof - it burns out.

The shop put in a 6 volt bulb - I guess since all them 'furrin cars have 6 volt electrical systems ...

Edited by Goose52

Was getting my car inspected at a service station in Austin, Tx. They guy at the counter tried to tell me my car was worth $250,000. He said he used to have a 1971 240 back in the day, but he sold it because the fuel injection kept giving him problems. '71 240z w/ fuel injection? I definitely corrected him.

Here's one I just remembered. A guy was selling some 280ZX mags on ebay as stock 240/260Z mags. I sent him a message telling him they were actually 280ZX mags (14" cross stylemags), to which he replied something along the lines of:

"No, they are definitely 240/260 mags, the 280ZX is such a big car these mags would look stupid on such a big car."

Was getting my car inspected at a service station in Austin, Tx. They guy at the counter tried to tell me my car was worth $250,000. He said he used to have a 1971 240 back in the day, but he sold it because the fuel injection kept giving him problems. '71 240z w/ fuel injection? I definitely corrected him.

You should have asked him to make a lowball offer of 175,000! LOL "Well, I hate to part with her, but you've got a nice face..."ROFL

As I recall - Nissan licensed Bosch's L-Jetronic. That was first available in the 74/75 time frame. L-Jet used a Air Flow Meter with an analog ECU... I don't recall any of that being used before 74/75 {calender year / model year}. From memory it seems that both Datsun and BMW were useing the same system for 75 model year cars. I was at Clearwater DATSUN/BMW at the time.. but that was a long time ago...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Oh - OK - well if we go back pre "Air Flow Meter".. we might as well go back to the system Bosch basically copied and used... Bendix - circa late 50's...

Now the car that would be worth $250,000.00 or more - would be one of the 58 Chrysler 300's that were equipped with EFI

Of course Bendix developed it for aircraft use in the late 40's... and adapted it for automotive use in the mid-50's.

Evolution....

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

As I recall - Nissan licensed Bosch's L-Jetronic. That was first available in the 74/75 time frame. L-Jet used a Air Flow Meter with an analog ECU... I don't recall any of that being used before 74/75 {calender year / model year}. From memory it seems that both Datsun and BMW were useing the same system for 75 model year cars. I was at Clearwater DATSUN/BMW at the time.. but that was a long time ago...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I remember that my 74 Volvo had some form of a "Jetronic" fuel injection system. It was a Bosch system, but it must have been different because it didn't have an air flow meter, just switches on the throttle body, and a manifold pressure sensor. It also had contacts in the distributor to fire the injectors... Strange system, but it worked very well.