IGNORED

A/C 240 72 rebuilt and cooling performance...

richard1

You are correct with 'sleight' rather than how I spelled it. Not a cool evening however. It's done prior to the underhood temperature being at the point where the engine is at operating temp. Fan speed or air control lever position really wouldn't make much, if any difference. This is actually a cycling test. The average temp for this car is between 35-41 degrees at the center vent under 'normal' conditions.

Not intending any offense there, calm down. I said that more because most people were going to look at your temp, check theirs, get very depressed and go spend a lot of money trying to get it colder then its supposed to go.

However, since you "young whipper snappered" me, here is another fun fact:bulb:. "Freeze-12" is 70-85% Tetrafluoroethane AKA R-134a. The other component HFC 152a(Difluoroethane) is a gas that is not only quite flammable, but half the size of an R-12 molecule. Thus both of these have no trouble leaking from an R-12 system.

Sounds like you read alot. But you're not telling me anything I haven't also read. I use lined hoses and replaced all seals and o-rings and tested the system for leaks. (w/nitrogen-72 hr. vacuum test). Would you like me to explain the conditions that it would take to have the 152a's flamability become a problem? You'd be in deeper sh!t because of some of the other chemicals in the vehicle long before 152a would ignite. We need to let this go, however, because I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just telling you what my experience has been.

You are correct with 'sleight' rather than how I spelled it. Not a cool evening however. It's done prior to the underhood temperature being at the point where the engine is at operating temp. Fan speed or air control lever position really wouldn't make much, if any difference. This is actually a cycling test. The average temp for this car is between 35-41 degrees at the center vent under 'normal' conditions.

It wasn't meant as a slight:laugh:

I did all my AC work when I lived in Tucson. I've often seen a difference with recirc and fan speed with marginal systems stuggling under 100+ degree temps. I guess under "normal" circumstances it really doesn't make much difference. Underhood temp, I didn't think of that one.

Steve

My systems are better than marginal. There are some tricks I use on the old school systems to get them to perform better. I really hope that Derek doesn't take offense either. I'm just going with what has worked for me and I think I have a pretty good track record.

Z train is knocking 50 degrees off the outside temp and that ain't too bad. Steve

For not touching the system that has been sitting for a few years?Absotively-posolutely.:stupid:

I'm almost scared to touch it.But an extra 5 degrees will make a world of difference here is Tucson.

My systems are better than marginal. There are some tricks I use on the old school systems to get them to perform better. I really hope that Derek doesn't take offense either. I'm just going with what has worked for me and I think I have a pretty good track record.

I bet they are way better than marginal.

I've been watching your replies to AC related threads, and I'm no expert, but I'm convinced that you know your stuff.

Steve

making A/C gurus mad at each other. As for me, I am completely illiterate in A/C stuff and now it works fine in the afternoon as in the morning. It has never been serviced in two years and it was probably due to be done.

The happy ending is that it cools in range with the standards posted above as the tech showed me after servicing the system ( if I remember in the range of 41 to 51 degrees) and it is just fine.

If the cooling fan condensor is useless....well...I will keep it shut down and iI will have just spent a hundred bucks of parts I installed myself. I am in the extreme of hot climate from now until beginning of September and I have to figure what can help in the worst of our summer here. Again, it is a bone stock ride down to the hubcaps and paint with no tinted windows and the way I want to keep it for the most as far as I can.

Thanks to everybody.