IGNORED

240Z with 41k Original Miles up for Sale

Isn't the dash and center console from a -73 model ?

Chris

Based on what I see in the side front photo, this is a 73 - the front bumper sits out further and has the rubber extension on the side. The front photo shows the bumper guards are set nearer the center of the front bumper rather than inline with the inside edge of the headlight bucket. Also, the ad at the associated link says - 1973

I've got mixed feelings about it at $19k.

On the plus side, it appears to be a relatively low mileage and rust-free 240Z with original paint in good shape. On the other hand – as noted here – it is a non-stock '73 with an automatic, all items which tend to hold down values. Still, it might be difficult to refresh a worn car to this condition for much less.

I bought my 240Z about 2 1/2 years ago. At that time it had 59,500 miles on it. It was very original for the most part, more so in many ways than the subject here. I did buy it very "right" due to the tired paint and sunroof, both remedied now. I have about $15k in mine now, but I doubt I could replace it for that unless I got really lucky (again).

I guess that if a buyer wants (or doesn't mind having) an automatic, wants a car to drive a bit now and again, and isn't looking for 100% originality, this car might be a decent buy at $18-19k. But as is it might be a bit steep for a collector.

Would somebody keep an eye on this and let me know what it goes for? We'll be offering a Z hopefully soon with everything done to it and need to know what a car with essentially nothing done to it goes for.

Someone up-thread thought for $20K this would make a nice driver. I'm thinking it's-all-36-years-old, except maybe the tires, and would equate to entering your grandmother in roller derby. First time granny hits the boards, CRASH Tinkle tinkle. First time this Z spends a day of spirited driving, Poosh! there goes a 36 year old head gasket, water pump, clutch hydraulics, brake hydraulics, rear end, wheel bearings, etc. etc. etc.

A hundred miles a month, 25 miles a week, slice it however you want, this is a trailer queen without some serious work getting done.

Not bashing, just saying.

I sort of agree with Bruce here. 36 year old rubber is just that... 36 year old rubber, I don't really care if it was kept in a air conditioned garage for 36 years. Things dry out.
That's why my car lost the cloth-covered coolant hoses that it still had when I bought it, as well as most of the suspension bushings. (The remaining bushings are still on my to-do list.)

I sort of agree with Bruce here. 36 year old rubber is just that... 36 year old rubber, I don't really care if it was kept in a air conditioned garage for 36 years. Things dry out.

This is the same reason I'm replacing or stockpiling nearly every piece of rubber on my car as money and availability allows.

Would somebody keep an eye on this and let me know what it goes for? We'll be offering a Z hopefully soon with everything done to it and need to know what a car with essentially nothing done to it goes for.

Someone up-thread thought for $20K this would make a nice driver. I'm thinking it's-all-36-years-old, except maybe the tires, and would equate to entering your grandmother in roller derby. First time granny hits the boards, CRASH Tinkle tinkle. First time this Z spends a day of spirited driving, Poosh! there goes a 36 year old head gasket, water pump, clutch hydraulics, brake hydraulics, rear end, wheel bearings, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe you missed this:

"Car in 100% perfect condition. New Panasport wheels and Michilen tires.(original wheels and covers w/ new tires come with car).1972 carbs New brakes, struts, shocks, all hoses, gas, a/c,and water. New electronic ignition, plugs, quiet free flo exhaust. Car needs absolutely nothing. Ready to show or drive anywhere at 100mph."

Doesn't sound like it needs much...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Guys,

I have been in touch with this guy. Offered him $15K based on what Carl has said. He has countered with $17K. He also gave me his mechanic's # for me to call. I am wondering what shipping from Vegas to Boston will be.....$2K?? Anyway, not sure where's it's going.....he is a firm believer that this is the nicest '73 in the country...WRONG!!! Jeff Mader

Man, take a week off and drive it back, I am a mechanic and from what ive seen on it, I would totally take it cross country! Low mileage is great but its not 100% original so it doesnt affect value that much.

Hi Guys,

I have been in touch with this guy. Offered him $15K based on what Carl has said. He has countered with $17K. He also gave me his mechanic's # for me to call. I am wondering what shipping from Vegas to Boston will be.....$2K?? Anyway, not sure where's it's going.....he is a firm believer that this is the nicest '73 in the country...WRONG!!! Jeff Mader

The buyers of my last 2 projects used FedEx Custom Critical Passport Auto Transport and both of them were very happy. Here's the link to their website:

http://passport.fedex.com/

Hi All,

I bought the '73 240Z from this gentlemen today. It will be my daily driver (in good weather only of course). I think I did well on the price as he sold it to me for $16K. I spoke to many folks who had seen and or driven it and all the reports were good. I called his mechanic and verified work he said he had done....it all checked out favorably. Jeff Mader