IGNORED

Uh Oh: National Cash for Clunkers Bill Coming

Mike

From what I have read elsewhere in these programs it is usually illegal to salvage anything off of the car before it is taken to the crusher. The intent is to make the politically incorrect vehicles both less PLENTIFUL and less MAINTAINABLE.

It has nothing at all to do with the environment or the auto industry. It is ALL about CONTROL!

How many of the guys checking the cars would have any idea what a was in the 35 year old car before it was driven in? In swapping good parts for bad(not like there is a shortage of those around) How would they know the truly rare 2400 valve cover was swapped for a common OHC version, the series 1 console was swapped for a broken 280Z console... If it comes in under its own power, doesn't look particularly stripped(that means complete but seriously worn), and is street legal, I doubt anyone would hesitate to take care of the transaction.

In many cases, not meeting the intent of a law is only illegal after it is clearly and explicitly defined in the court system. Speed limits were intended to save gas and lives, when they don't is that illegal? No, breaking the speed limit is illegal(raise your hand if you invariably abide by posted speed limits)

If the program says "any complete running and registrable car made before 1980 qualifies for a $4500 swap", the intent of the program is neither contained in the program nor enforceable.

Will

I'm with Walter on this one all the way. Another idiotic misguided government attempt at social engineering. A credit to purchase cars no one wants to buy for full price. Auto makers investing to build cars to fill an artificially created market funded by our tax dollars. when the program is over, if it ever is, demand will switch back to the cars people really want and the automakers will be stuck with billions invested in tooling for cars no one wants anymore. Government will then step in to "save" the industry by some other taxpayer funded scheme. All because we're too stupid and short sighted to buy the right, defined by government, cars.

Steve

And your (ubiquitous) solution would be.......? I don't have one either but with all of this description of what is 'wrong', it would be nice to see some suggestions of what is 'right'.

Edited by sblake01

I have no solutions other than for my own situation. I don't think that there is any kin of cure all or stimulus that will work for everyone. The only thing we have any real control over at all is our own personal economics. Micro economics vs. macro economics. Making it work to our advantage (or making it work...period) is really all we have but if the micro isn't in order the it doesn't much matter what goes on with the macro.

Edited by sblake01

It's not about making cars we don't want affordable, it's about moving some f***ing product and getting people buying again. Every automaker is sitting on a ridiculous amount of inventory. And we don't live in a purely capitalist society, it's the government's job to step in and grease the wheels when things stop moving.

It's not about making cars we don't want affordable, it's about moving some f***ing product and getting people buying again. Every automaker is sitting on a ridiculous amount of inventory. And we don't live in a purely capitalist society, it's the government's job to step in and grease the wheels when things stop moving.

Really, it's the government's job to step in and grease the wheels when things stop moving? I'm pretty sure I didn't see that in the Constitution last time I read it. From where I'm sitting it looks, if anything, a lot like government CAUSED the current downturn.

From the CNN Money article..

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news/companies/cash_for_clunkers/?postversion=2009050515

"Under the so-called cash-for-clunkers legislation, consumers with old, gas guzzlers could get $3,500 or $4,500 in government vouchers to use toward the purchase of new cars that get gas mileage that exceeds the old car's by four miles per gallon."

Sounds like I won't be allowed to buy the car I want unless it's a more fuel efficient model than what I turned in. Basically I have to buy the car the government wants me to buy if I want to participate.

Another article says the old cars must get 18 mpg or less to be eligible for the credit so it sounds like most imports won't be facing the crusher.

Steve

And your (ubiquitous) solution would be.......? I don't have one either but with all of this description of what is 'wrong', it would be nice to see some suggestions of what is 'right'.

The solution to the whole auto problem is very simple and basic.Keep the government out of it and build vehicles people want at a price that is affordable and people will buy them. Ronnie

Don't forget to stop importing the cars that are supposed to be built by the domestic auto manufacturers, or even start exporting cars to other countries.

Including the clean cars that run on hydrogen instead of gasoline.

I would never sell a classic car like Z for a $4000 incentive to buy a new one. Instead, I will be driving my daily car until it is time to get the incentive for a new one- in about 4 or 5 more years

It's a 1997 Ford.

From where I'm sitting it looks, if anything, a lot like government CAUSED the current downturn.

Government is just as much at fault (for deregulation) as the banking and trading industry (for pushing for deregulation and for misleading practices), and so is everyone who got in head over heels (whether it be buying a house you couldn't afford or running up all your credit cards and not being able to make payments).

Sounds like I won't be allowed to buy the car I want unless it's a more fuel efficient model than what I turned in. Basically I have to buy the car the government wants me to buy if I want to participate.

Well that's too bad. The car companies don't dole out equal incentives on each car, when you go to the store some items will be on sale and some won't, and guess what? Life's not fair. One of the aims of this bill is to lower carbon emissions by requiring people to purchase more fuel efficient cars. What good would this program do if it allowed you to buy any vehicle you wanted, regardless of it's mileage? It wouldn't do $^!#, that's what.

Including the clean cars that run on hydrogen instead of gasoline.

At the moment hydrogen powered cars are a non-issue. Hydrogen production technologies are nowhere near what would be needed to actually produce high volume hydrogen vehicles.

It might be a legitimate alternative fuel in time, but a good deal more development is needed.

The solution to the whole auto problem is very simple and basic.Keep the government out of it and build vehicles people want at a price that is affordable and people will buy them. Ronnie

People were buying plenty of SUV's and Trucks until speculators drove up the price to $150 per barrel last summer. All of the sudden everyone's mind changed about how important fuel economy was. And automotive development works on a 3 to 5 year time schedule, so it's no wonder they don't have the product to meet current demands. Although if people actually gave them a chance, Ford and GM have a number of great, innovative new cars already on the market.

Another article says the old cars must get 18 mpg or less to be eligible for the credit so it sounds like most imports won't be facing the crusher.

And all this talk about our beloved Z's is moot!