IGNORED

The next 240Z

Let's see:

- Affordable rear wheel drive sports vehicle.

- Plenty of mods available (from light to heavy).

- Solid racetrack presence.

- Iconic looks.

- Sold enough units that it's pervasive (and like the Z, will never be that valuable).

- Resale is cheap enough that high school kids can afford to pick one up cheap and have some fun.

Hate to say it but although we may not love the performance off the dealer's lot, it's the MX-5/Miata.

Another once in a generation affordable sports car.

Not sure what the next one will be.

Edited by bigoak

The world will never be the same as it was when the Z first hit American shores. I'm a bit off topic here, but for me, there just aren't any new car designs, except for some European exotics, that really stir my soul. The era of automobiles with beautiful design lines, which haven't been overly messaged in the corporate board room, is over. Style has become secondary to aerodynamics. Perhaps this is almost "rightly so". I went to a little local car show recently. There were E type Jags, MGs, vintage Ferarris, Morgans, Alfas, and the like. A tail light on any one of these cars has more style than almost any entire car built in the last 20 years. So where do you go for affordability, performance and trend setting good looks? I gotta go to my garage, and get into my orange time capsule. Sometimes, after I wash her, take her for a spin, park her in the garage, and go inside, I'll go back out to the garage, just to look at her again. My wife doesn't understand. Most people don't understand, and they never will. But WE do;)!

Let's see:

- Affordable rear wheel drive sports vehicle.

- Plenty of mods available (from light to heavy).

- Solid racetrack presence.

- Iconic looks.

- Sold enough units that it's pervasive (and like the Z, will never be that valuable).

- Resale is cheap enough that high school kids can afford to pick one up cheap and have some fun.

Hate to say it but although we may love the performance off the dealer's lot, it's the MX-5/Miata.

Another once in a generation affordable sports car.

Not sure what the next one will be.

Exactly what I was thinking. Also remember that there was a waiting list for the Miata for the first year or so after it was introduced. Resale values were very high the first several years. Highly touted by the motoring press as a great bang for the buck value. Sound familiar?

I agree with Will though that an affordable electric sports car could be the next game changer if they can ever make one affordable enough.

-Mike

The world will never be the same as it was when the Z first hit American shores. I'm a bit off topic here, but for me, there just aren't any new car designs, except for some European exotics, that really stir my soul. The era of automobiles with beautiful design lines, which haven't been overly messaged in the corporate board room, is over. Style has become secondary to aerodynamics. Perhaps this is almost "rightly so". I went to a little local car show recently. There were E type Jags, MGs, vintage Ferarris, Morgans, Alfas, and the like. A tail light on any one of these cars has more style than almost any entire car built in the last 20 years. So where do you go for affordability, performance and trend setting good looks? I gotta go to my garage, and get into my orange time capsule. Sometimes, after I wash her, take her for a spin, park her in the garage, and go inside, I'll go back out to the garage, just to look at her again. My wife doesn't understand. Most people don't understand, and they never will. But WE do;)!

Beautifully put - ahmen...

I would only add: In addition to exceptional styling and affordable performance the Datsun 240-Z fit the average American like a glove, in both size and utility. A Sports/GT that could eat up thousands and thousands of miles crisscrossing America, while delivering its driver and passenger comfortably refreshed at the end.

The additional utility of its cavernous hatch back and its daily driver comfort and reliability put its value to its owners - far in front of any other offerings at the time. Still true today...

The beauty of the 240-Z is far more than skin deep. If the Crossfire had the room and comfort that the 240-Z had, my wife and I would have been driving it home... We actually went to the Chrysler Dealer to buy one... Couldn't recline the seat backs more than a couple degrees, it had about half the cargo area of 240-Z, and less shoulder room,overall we felt cramped in it ... damn... We went home very disappointed....

FWIW,

Carl B.

And I thought I was the only one to go back out to the garage and admire the looks of the Z after having been in it all day. I feel much better now! Thanks! And you are right about the wives, the just don't get it.

I agree with Will though that an affordable electric sports car could be the next game changer if they can ever make one affordable enough.

-Mike

Hi Guys:

Please let me know when you can buy an electric sports car that you can jump into and drive from Seattle to Tampa in 48 hours. At that point you'll be driving a hydrogen fuel cell, supported by all filing stations with a gasoline, diesel and hydrogen pump... circa 2075.

I suppose if think of a "sports car" as one you don't want to go much farther than 50 miles at time, or one that can weight over 4,000lbs to carry the batteries... it might work for you.

IMHO - The next affordable "sports car" that will shake the world - will be one that weights less than 2000lbs and is powered by a very small displacement turbo diesel. If China cranks up the baking ovens, they could produce a full carbon fiber/aluminum honeycomb Sports/GT that would be a game changer... most likely from VW..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Adam, It sure is nice to hear from another Z nut that feels the same thrill about the Classic Z as I do :) Couldn't have said it better myself :D

Edited by DatsunZsRule

Sounds like the seats in a series one to me. You should have felt right at home :classic:

-Mike

True, but for me, I can get the right position. I'm 5'9", with fairly short legs. I had my seats refoamed and new strapping below. They pretty good for that era. Make note: Do not Armor All your seats!-or anything else, for that matterLOL.

-adamr

Sounds like the seats in a series one to me. You should have felt right at home :classic:

-Mike

Hi Mike:

The rear deck area was so high in Crossfire - that it prevented the seat back from reclining more than just a couple degrees.. If you were willing to crank the nob - the Series I/II seats would lay back.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I actually want to change my vote to Miata as well. It has Many of the same characteristics of the Z, right down to copying the good European designs.

I cant think of a better future collectible. It has all the right pieces there.

And just for the record, yes, I do stare at my Z for untold minutes.

I actually want to change my vote to Miata as well. It has Many of the same characteristics of the Z, right down to copying the good European designs.

I cant think of a better future collectible. It has all the right pieces there.

And just for the record, yes, I do stare at my Z for untold minutes.

I'll agree with you that the Miata design is nice. It's evolution has stayed true to the original, and the lines are good. It doesn't move me (that wasn't the original point), but does fit the criteria of the original post, although it's not "new".

I forgot about the Honda S2000! Great car. Too bad it has been shelved:ogre:.