IGNORED

To Stripe or Not To Stripe?

NWT240zed

To Stripe or Not to Stripe?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. To Stripe or Not to Stripe?

• Keep the Stripe, it's retro-cool.
    • Take it Off Eh, i like it naked.

I favor the stripes . Especially on a dark Z I think it sets it off nicely. I am not a fan of them on a light color. Usually I am a less is more on a Z , but this looks vary good to me, I wouldn't change a thing. I don't like the head light covers at all! I think you should sell them to me. LOL Either with or without the stripe you have a great Z.

Gary

I have to agree with Arne, stripes on black would be too much. Does not want to hijack you post but who sell these gorgeous chrome trim light cover ?

They are the correct factory headlight covers that all 240Z were supposed to have, until the bean counters had their way. They were available as an option on the JDM models, through Nissan. I believe they are NLA. They pop up on ebay occasionally, but are expensive, around the $600 range I believe. There was someone attempting to make reproductions.

A search for: JDM headlight covers, of this forums will find you all the background info on them.

Craig-

Great looking car. I am a stripe fan (see below) but IMO some cars look great and some cars get too much going on). I would also have to agree with the above posts. Personally, I think the car would look great by losing the stripes, and also removing the front Datsun plate and putting on driving lights in the front. The front spoiler looks great and the Datsun colors on the front plate is not complimenting the overall colors of the car.........IMO. Let us know your final descision. What ever it is, you can't go wrong with a Datsun Z Car!!

Thanks folks,

I'm no leaning no stripe. White stripe on black, for me, is just a touch too much. I also agree that it might be a different result without the chrome details like the headlight covers. I also like the stripe on the cars with the classic slotted rims. To me it's a cheeky nod to American muscle cars. The PO originally had the slotted rims, before adding the rewinds. Below is an old pic from the PO, with the slotted rims.

The covers seem to draw a mixed reaction, although mostly favourable. I have a brother in law that can't stand them, but I love them. Some I guess are used to the sugar scoops and feel the covers make the car look like its trying to be something that it is not. I think they add a touch of class.

Anyhow, MikeMerkury, I think Mr. Camouflage is right. The JDM covers were added by the PO, and he mentioned they were a hard to come by sought after item. Shame no one appears to be making them any more. And thanks Arne for cleaning up my sloppy MSPaint photo manipulation. :-) Thanks also for the advice Travel'nMan, the front plate is already gone :-)

Thanks again everyone. I'll post pictures when the car is sans stripes. Should happen next weekend. I'll start with a small piece in the back corner and see how easy it comes off, and whether the paint under it is discoloured. Maybe it will stay striped until it get's new paint. ;-)

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by NWT240zed

Thanks folks,

I'm no leaning no stripe.

????...I am detecting hesitation in this statement?LOL

Don't rush into removing a perfectly good set of stripes, on other peoples opinions. I know I change my mind on what looks good on these cars constantly. That's the beauty of a Z. The classic, timeless styling is very forgiving on most modest modifications. Every couple of weeks I have a new favorite color also. Z's are like beautiful women. They are still appealing, no matter what they are wearing.

On the dark color and with the headlight covers trimed I too think it's a bit busy looking with the stripes. But on Bob Cs green one without the headlight covers I think they look great. I was never a fan of the headlight covers myself but especially in looking at yours the words Jaguar XKE coming screaming through - and that's cool.

Edited by Ken B.

I always thought that the factory stripe kit was well thought out with the 240Z cut into the middle stripe making it the color of the car and the Datsun lettering on the front lower fender falling in the middle of the same middle stripe. It is an entirely different look as to the one pictured on your car. As for the look of the stripe, I prefer the stripes, (original factory accessory design), in my opinion it has the effect of shorting the distance between the wheel wells giving the car the appearance of a shorter and more aggressive stance.