IGNORED

Found some Bilstein inserts.

zKars

New Bilsteins still available in the UK to any spec required. I have a new set to rally spec. They are fitted to coilovers. I havn't quite worked out the top mount arrangement yet although I will be using stock top mounts which need to be drilled out to 14mm. Incidentally, the top of the strut has a allen key hole to facilitate tightening.

As sold in the 70's/80's the Bilsteins for the 240Z required no drilling - they were a direct bolt in - with the "D" shaped shock rod to fit in the stock mounts.

As Jon mentioned - you just have to run the nut down with an impact wrench. I had a machine shop drill to hole in the top mount out -for some other shocks, on another car - - given the original "D" shape and the fact that its hardened steel -I wouldn't recommend doing it with a hand drill...

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 5 months later...
New Bilsteins still available in the UK to any spec required. I have a new set to rally spec. They are fitted to coilovers. I havn't quite worked out the top mount arrangement yet although I will be using stock top mounts which need to be drilled out to 14mm. Incidentally, the top of the strut has a allen key hole to facilitate tightening.

Where in the UK did you get your Bilsteins and are they standard length or shortened?

Regards

Tim

• 1 year later...
Worth the risk to throw them in my car and see what they are like? I have illumina's and really don't need them, but if they are a bit softer, might be worth it.

Thought it might be worth my while to revive this post if I can find who to send a set of Bilstein inserts, for refurbishing. I disassembled everything that has been sitting on the shelf for the last 5 years, choosing all the best pieces for refinishing and was surprised to find these hidden in the strut tubes. They were matched up with a set of ST springs.

Jim - Did you have yours rebuilt or try them as they were? If you did have them rebuilt, I'd like to know who did them for you. These are the same part numbers as yours but they are all yellow.

Ron, here is what Bilstein's website says about servicing them:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/search-service/service.html

But - if they don't have any dead spots, you can (with effort) move them smoothly from full extension to fully collapsed, and they don't show signs of leakage, I myself wouldn't bother. I'd run them as is.

In fact, send them to me and I'll test them out for you. ;)

Thanks for the link Arne. I haven't taken the time yet to compress them through several cycles, but they are more than 25 years old and have been dormant for most of that time, if the 1984 plates on the car were any indication of their age and usage. It's good to know they can be serviced by Bilstein, but I am also interested in learning of alternatives such as rxsleeper had found..."I have located another company that will rebuild/revalve/dyno a Bilstein for a little bit less than what they charge for a revalve". Also if Jim has found a repair source here in Canada, that could possibly bring the cost down substantially. Just looking at all the options and not even sure if I will use them myself or not.