Sign in to follow this  
'77az280z

Buying my first z today!!

Hi 77az280z,

You've found the best resource on the Web, as far as I'm concerned. This forum is a wealth of info for new and old Z car owners. I'm sure you'll have a great time repairing/refreshing/rebuilding/restoring your new car. Hopefully you'll get to enjoy driving it too.

Two thoughts. First, as great as this site is, I suggest that if you haven't done so already find a Haynes or Chilton manual and a the book "How To Restore Your Datsun Z Car" by Wick Humble. Check Amazon. Even if you aren't planning a full restore, the latter book is a great reference with good photos.

Second, I suggest you try and take care of the exhaust smell. Check the seal around the hatch and look for rust holes around the spare tire well and deck. Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill, which I imagine would spoil a good Z car drive.

Cheers,

NWT240zed

Right on man! Now that you have been bit, the Z bug is with you for life! Nice looking car too. You definitely live in the right place to find a good Z.

hahaha for reals' date=' i want a 5 speed tranny for my 280z though.[/quote']

+1

An overdrive would be so nice on the highway. I finally stretched my car's legs on the highway for the first time yesterday and I have to do 3500 RPM just keeping up with traffic.

I thought '77s had the 5-speed, or not? Or did you get a tranny from an earlier model?

5 speed was an option in 77. Usually, people use the 81-83 ZX speed because of the slightly higher 5th gear and they're a little easier to find since so many more were made.

I thought '77s had the 5-speed, or not? Or did you get a tranny from an earlier model?
In the USA, the 5 speed was an option for '77 and 78. Four speed was still standard.

In the USA, the 5 speed was an option for '77 and 78. Four speed was still standard.

Oh! I wonder what % of those two model years had 5s?

Funny thing is, it looks like someone actually took there time building that front bumper, Yikes!

oh and congrats.

Oh! I wonder what % of those two model years had 5s?
Not really sure about 77s but most of the 78s I've seen (including mine) that weren't automatics were 5 speeds.

Put in a diff from an auto car. Higher ratio which will lower your revs.

Makes for a nicer drive IMHO. You would need to swap the speedo drive on the gearbox for a different one to correct your speedo reading, but that is very easy done.

I have a diff from an auto 3.54-1 ratio in my 72 and it does 3000 at 60 mph in fourth. I never use fifth.

Edited by olzed

The fuel smell could very well be the rear weather strip. Either it has been removed or it is rotted. As you drive along the car creates a vacuum behing it sucking the smell of the exhaust right into the car. A BIG WELCOME. I echo what everyone else says about modifications. Get it road worthy and ultra reliable first and then knock off one improvement at a time. May you drive many miles with a BIG :)

Congrats and welcome to the Z family! I have a 77 280z, original paint was green on mine but it looks like someone took a paint brush and a bucket of interior paint to it before I bought it.

http://www.desertzassociation.com/

http://desertdatsuns.freeforums.org/index.php

These are the two z clubs here in the valley. Desertz is the older of the two and the members are older, more of a social group with lots of events. The other is limited to cars older than 1984. A much younger group that is more tech oriented.

Check them out as they can provide a lot of information. DesertZ costs $30.00 a year but gets major discounts at the dealerships for parts and service.