IGNORED

MSA spook pictures

Zedyone_kenobi

Now the only question left is to paint it body colored or a nice flat black. Mr. Geezer, you are making me lean toward painting it to match the car. You too Arne!
Either way should look good. Since I like the curves in the duct area, black just didn't do it for me. Didn't set off those curves at all, not like it does now that it's painted.

On the other hand, non-ducted spooks that are color-matched almost look a bit plain to me (unless they are equipped with sponsor decals in a track car). So for the non-ducted I might lean toward satin (not flat) black.

I have an unducted MSA spook here that I have not installed yet, if you would like pics of it. I am using a rear spoiler, so following the same reasoning that Arne pointed out for going with the ducted style and no rear spoiler, I hope to maximize stability and still keep the classic look of a spook. I agree with Diseazd on the quality/price of the MSA version. If there is such a thing as being more correct for an aftermarket piece, the ducted version from Classic Datsuns is more faithful and reminiscent of the "original BRE spook" and well liked by those that have them.

I apologize for not remembering where I got the first pic, or who's car this is. The second pic is from the collection of 26thZ if I remember correctly. I really like the look of the front end of this car. I think it would look great ductless also.

Ron, some time back I spotted a Z with a spook like the first picture. See how the ends blend with the body line more and terminate around farther up to the curve of the wheel opening? This is what I was trying to find, and I did they were made in Queensland I believe any way, some where in Australia. bravo6 helped me find a owner down under. The Company is no longer in business. I was wanting to buy several and have them shipped over for re sail , to cover my cost of shipping. By the way Les Conaday has the original BRE molds. The one Arne has is vary well made, I cannot compare it to MSA's because I haven't closely checked one out.

Ron, some time back I spotted a Z with a spook like the first picture. See how the ends blend with the body line more and terminate around farther up to the curve of the wheel opening? This is what I was trying to find, and I did they were made in Queensland I believe any way, some where in Australia. bravo6 helped me find a owner down under. The Company is no longer in business. I was wanting to buy several and have them shipped over for re sail , to cover my cost of shipping. By the way Les Conaday has the original BRE molds. The one Arne has is vary well made, I cannot compare it to MSA's because I haven't closely checked one out.

Thanks for pointing that out Gary. That must be the reason I had saved that pic originally. When posting it yesterday I had thought it was an MSA spook that was mounted higher on the valance but now after taking a closer look, it is obvious that the entire piece is a few inches longer on each side. Not a bad look.

Just got my first estimate from the paint shop. To prep, paint and undercoat the three pieces that make up the lower valance, he wants 675 bucks. I think he caught me at a moment of weakness on the undercoat, so that was about 100 bucks, does that seem reasonable. My drivers side valance is in need of some attention.

THats what I was thinking.

Its a pretty popular body shop with the local Corvette club here. So they are not the cheapest in town. I think I can get them down an extra 100 bucks if I do not do the undercoating. I can buy that and do it, heck I have a POR15 kit just waiting to be used.

• 1 month later...

Hey Zedyone, did you get this done yet?

I'm planning on doing the same thing myself. I've spent too many years with that same MSA air dam from the PO, and the more original look appeals more to me.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new setup.

I am on my second fiberglass MSA ducted spook on my 71. ( I hit a thrown tire tread on the interstate) The first came in gray and needed painting. I went with a semi-gloss black. I also made my own BRE logo. The new one came gel-coated in gloss black and I bought the real logo from BRE to put on. I wouldn't do my front end any other way.

pic is my old one @ Zcon 07

post-1730-14150806863271_thumb.jpg