IGNORED

Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.

conedodger

Hi Rob,

That's the warm-up lap for the 1978 IMSA GTU Race at Laguna Seca. The "half" car is Lee Mueller in the Victors / Quality Inn #71 240Z and on the pole is Dennis Aase in the #64 911. They crashed each other out on lap 13 and Frank Leary #48 ended up winning the race. Sam Posey #33 finished 2nd and Devendorf #83 finished 5th....

Bob

As a side note to the above race info, Casey Mollett also was at the Laguna Seca IMSA GTU race in May 1978. Casey had engine problems with his car that weekend, so he rented a spare motor from Mueller. He had to start last because he couldn’t qualify, but he managed to move up to 4th at the end of the race. Since it was a rented motor and he didn't know what it was, he figured they would only spec the top 3 finishers and he would be ok.... unfortunately, they decided to spec the top 5 finishers, and the motor Mueller gave Casey was a 2.8L and he was given a DQ….

Bob - as told to me by Casey

Great information Bob! Thanks!

Here is a USAC pace car in BRE livery. Note the period correct accessories. American Racing Libre wheels, BRE front and rear spoilers. I think that is the only time I have seen a British style soft sunroof on a Datsun though... Anyone recognize the track? Dealer plates on the car so it might have been later sold to the public or given as a prize...

post-16545-14150823794303_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...