IGNORED

Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.

conedodger

On September 24, 2016 at 0:38 AM, HS30-H said:

Nissan - just like everybody else - were changing the aero packages on their cars virtually on a race-by-race basis. One of the main difficulties with introducing new bodywork parts within the framework of the JAF/FIA Group 4 and 5 rules was that they had to be evolutions of already homologated parts. Any radical change - like the 'Grande Nose' itself - had to have a fresh homologation. It wasn't simply a matter of bolting parts on a car and going racing...

Who said the 'G-nose' was "the ultimate"? The HS30-H 'Fairlady 240ZG' was a homologation model, made and sold to the general public with the express purpose of legalising aero and body parts for JAF/FIA Group 4 racing. The road car didn't come with any front spoiler/air dam/splitter because it wasn't necessary for the homologation (such parts could be legalised for race use by adding them as evolutions to the homologation) and Nissan fitted a variety of different spoilers to its race cars. At that time it was tyre technology which was the main limiting factor in 'grip'.

All absolutely true. And it wasn't just Nissan. Every manufacturer with a race effort or support operation evolved or homologated. My 914 is an example. I was able to find one of the 400 M471 "kits." Wind tunnel work was in its infancy, so everything was 'educated guess work' I'm sure.

My 914 is clearly a slow flying brick (not so aero) so Porsche went the route of trying to get as much tire to the ground I think...

image.jpeg

I seem to still be getting reports from this thread. I would like to point out that this site isn't a true debate site. It is a Z enthusiasts site. Therefore debate should be minimum, and purely factual if it happens. Let's keep it friendly and respectable so we don't chase off potential new members, and current ones. What do you say?

• Like 2

Like it or not Alan is an institution and factually you had better take notice. But he and others need to learn the difference between alleging a fact and making a mere comment or observation. Take my previous comment about Nissan aero. In no way was I claiming that Nissan was behind other makers or had no clue about what they were doing, it's because of that sort of conclusion jumping that lawyers have to include all the fine print that people complain about. Also as far as the G nose goes it is my experience that it's considered by your average S30 fan to be the ultimate aero device. That's my experience, how can I be wrong in stating that experience? The conclusion may be right or wrong but that's something else altogether, please guys brush upon your comprehension skills, I've had a lot of professional experience in using language precisely as possible and it's disappointing when some rush off with all sorts of versions on what was said.

PS This series of lively discussion has woken up this thread, how can that possibly be bad?

• Like 1

Not that I know of as he was driving the back-up car a few months later when Bob had another wreck in which he broke his wrist. This ended his career.

His crew says he was doing over 155 mph at Atlanta when his rear tire went flat. The way Bob describes it, it was like the car was in reverse and then it flipped. Bob says he remembers every second as he rolled.

I got lucky a few years back and was able to purchase a trailer load of BSR parts, some of which came from the wrecked GTU car

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, that photo was taken during a 14 hour race.  We fought vapor lock issues early in the race and dropped to 35th place.  After ditching the OE fuel rail (see vapor lock thread), we stormed back and finished in 9th place just ahead of the Celica in the picture.  The photo was taken at the tightest corner of Nelson Ledges in NE Ohio.  Thankfully, the Z corners much flatter than that Celica.