IGNORED

Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.

conedodger

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting pics, looks like Nissan were trying several different aero setups which indicates, to me anyway, that they weren't sure what would work. I've never accepted the g-nose as being the ultimate, it might have been fastest in a straight line but pushing air under rather than over the car does not help grip. Which for a circuit car is of course crucial.

23 hours ago, 260DET said:

Interesting pics, looks like Nissan were trying several different aero setups which indicates, to me anyway, that they weren't sure what would work. I've never accepted the g-nose as being the ultimate, it might have been fastest in a straight line but pushing air under rather than over the car does not help grip. Which for a circuit car is of course crucial.

Nissan - just like everybody else - were changing the aero packages on their cars virtually on a race-by-race basis. One of the main difficulties with introducing new bodywork parts within the framework of the JAF/FIA Group 4 and 5 rules was that they had to be evolutions of already homologated parts. Any radical change - like the 'Grande Nose' itself - had to have a fresh homologation. It wasn't simply a matter of bolting parts on a car and going racing...

Who said the 'G-nose' was "the ultimate"? The HS30-H 'Fairlady 240ZG' was a homologation model, made and sold to the general public with the express purpose of legalising aero and body parts for JAF/FIA Group 4 racing. The road car didn't come with any front spoiler/air dam/splitter because it wasn't necessary for the homologation (such parts could be legalised for race use by adding them as evolutions to the homologation) and Nissan fitted a variety of different spoilers to its race cars. At that time it was tyre technology which was the main limiting factor in 'grip'.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HS30-H said:

What relevance do the above images have to do with this thread?

Yea, what the hell are you doing? <_<  One of my major complaints about one of my favorite threads is that there is very little information or description of the picture; when, where, who, etc.  Every photo just seems to scream; "Tell me more!  More!"  Perhaps it's not a complaint rather a disappointment.

As Alan aptly points out, "aero" was in its infancy at the time and tire grip was the difficult point when the cars became more efficient.  There was a tremendous amount of experimentation going on.  I just have to re-post this picture.  Look at that left front tire.  Is that awesome or what!?!!  Stand on it!

8991-thumb.jpg