IGNORED

Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.

conedodger

I talked to James Garner on a movie set and told him how Grand Prix changed my life. My love for film and cars were born during a large screen viewing at the original Century theaters. He seemed to like that. We also talked about Bob Bondurant and I shared my story of spending a day with him doing a shoot at Sears Point.

I saw a documentary on how the producer to this day regrets having James Garner and not Steve Mcqueen in this role. For me Mr. Garner nailed it.:)

I talked to James Garner on a movie set and told him how Grand Prix changed my life. My love for film and cars were born during a large screen viewing at the original Century theaters. He seemed to like that. We also talked about Bob Bondurant and I shared my story of spending a day with him doing a shoot at Sears Point.

I saw a documentary on how the producer to this day regrets having James Garner and not Steve Mcqueen in this role. For me Mr. Garner nailed it.:)

Oh, I couldn't agree more! I own Grand Prix and LeMans with McQueen. It isn't that McQueen would have been a bad choice, but if you watch the film and have the heart of a race car driver, you know Garner really nailed it.

You should write a book Steve. Your experiences behind the camera have always amazed me...

I've talked to Bondurant many times and I even gave him driving pointers on the track. He was giving hot laps at Ford in a SVT F150 Lightning which I tuned. As I was riding with him, I pointed out several things to make him faster in the Lightning. He followed my instructions and thanked me for helping him out. :)

I've also talked to Carroll Shelby many times. He was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He loved working with SVT and BS'ing with us about our cars with his name on the back. RIP Carroll.

Speaking of vintage racing, I'll take you all back to the first ever motor race..

His is the first finisher in the Paris–Rouen motor race, in 1894.

post-2169-14150822193322_thumb.jpg

But he was ruled ineligible. The second place finisher was later ruled the winner.

The first-ever motor race in the U.S.A. was in 1895 from Chicago to Evanston and back, about 54 miles, and took about 8 hours to complete (it was in late November with muddy roads & snow drifts.) The winning vehicle:

post-2169-14150822193604_thumb.gif