IGNORED

Kidney, Anyone? 22,800-mile Celica Liftback

Mike

01-29-2009 12:02 AM

celica01-560x336.jpg

We thought we’d seen all the clean California Celicas at JCCS and Toyotafest, but here’s an amazing 1977 Liftback that only has 22,800 miles on the clock. Apparently it came from a Texas dealership showroom last year and, according to the seller, still smells like a new car. That’s 1977 molecules wafting into your nostrils, folks! The only downside is the automatic transmission, but you probably wouldn’t really drive it anyway, right? More pics after the jump.

celica01-150x150.jpgcelica02-150x150.jpgcelica03-150x150.jpgcelica04-150x150.jpg[eBay via Classic Toyota Town]

More...

That really brings back memories. I sold my 72 Mustang Fastback in 76 to buy the new 76 Celica Fastback. Gas mileage was a big thing back because of the oil embargo. It's 4 cylinder was under powered compared to the muscle cars but it was sporty and fun to drive. Sold it in 78 to buy my first 240Z and the rest is history. I havn't seen one for years and forgot what they looked like. Thanks for the pics.

My first car was one just like this, same color even. It was a 5 speed, though. By the time I sold it, it had bad rust problems and the dash was cracked, but it still ran great. It had 212,000 miles on it before I traded it in on a Ford truck. While it wasn't fast and didn't even handle very well, I enjoyed it.

Dang, I missed it! (was out of the country the past week) or I would have seriously tried to buy it. Had one just like it (in red) when I was in Okinawa in 1982/84 :-)

No offense to the PT curiser drivers out there, but I'd drive one of these with no A/C every day before I drove on of those (and it does get very, very hot and muggy here) :)

Edited by DougN