IGNORED

Poly bushing : Not worth it ?

As for color - unless you just have to have something flashy, go with Energy Suspension black, not red. The black are graphite impregnated, and are MUCH less prone to squeaks and noises.

Actually, Black is now More common as red is almost a special order item. When trying to buy all my Poly bushings for the 260Z, I wanted to go with red (as most of my offset colors on the under side are red) but found that if I wanted red, I'd have to go thru Energy Suspension or some other special retailer.

The black, graphite impregnated bushing are better all around. They look stock, last longer (because of the graphite) and are actually stronger than red. It was explained to me that the red coloring process makes the Urethane weaker than the black, which is a more natural material? Or something like that.

EVERYTHING is getting Urethane in the 260Z. I just want all the hard work to last and not have to be readjusted every year do to wear and tare. Don't get me wrong, rubber works and can last for years, but the rubber I removed from the 260Z was Trashed and should have been replaced 20 years ago.

Mikemerkury,

I forgot to mention the Sway bar bushing in my previous post. They are very easy to swap and a great place to start. The rubber factory doughnut bushings (on the end links) tend to split, tear and make the front end sloppy. It's as easy as buying new end links and poly bushings, that come with 2 new grade 8 bolts, nylon lock nuts and new washers. The stock ones tend to rust and deteriate and can "Snap" or bend if put under too much tension.

If you stick with the stock size sway bar in the front, the body mount bushing is easily replaced. If you go with a larger bar, make sure you order the larger bushings and new body mount brackets. The larger bars urethane will not fit in the stock bracket.

I did'nt take pictures of every upgrade so make sure you take plenty of before and after pics, both for us and your personal folder. You'll love showing off the end results of "Before and After"

Dave.

Here's a couple before and afters and the new 25mm front bar. just for your viewing pleasure.

post-4921-14150805764705_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150805765666_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150805766532_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150805767211_thumb.jpg

I have removed all the poly bushing on my Z mostly because of the road noise they cause . They are harsh, but do tighten up the suspension. Since I do not race my Z , the OEM rubber is vary much quieter but still vary responsive . The tired rubber is gone and with the new rubber installed she handles great. I did install polly bump stops all the way around .

Energy Suspension bump stops are soft and not harsh if you do bottom out. I have lowered my 240 and I can bottom out easily on speed bumps but it is not harsh or jarring at all. When I had the Polly bushing on the mustache bar I could hear a lot of gear whine besides the road noise. With the rubber it is 75%+ quieter . I drive my Z on mountain roads alot in the summer. I belong to a Z club and we have cruises once a month and the majority of them involve spirited driving in the twisty s .

My 2 ct. Gary:classic:

I wouldn't think that you would want poly bumpstops.

My 510 has all poly bushings and most of my BMW bushings are poly. I love it. Everyone told me it would be too loud and too harsh. Hogwash!!!

Definitely makes it ride tighter. May be a little more uncomforatable over potholes and cobblestone but normal driving should be very nice.

Just be sure to grease the bushings unless you want a symphony of squeaks :)

I'll second that.

I replaced all of the original bushings on both of my '78 coupes with the Energy Suspension master poly bushing kit. Replaced the front sway bar bushings with poly too.

Just make sure you get the right diameter sway bar bushings as I believe Datsun used three different diameter front sway bars on the various S30 models. Or maybe it's just the 280z's. Someone more knowledgeable on this please correct or clarify if necessary.

Although driving on rough roads can be a little bouncy and even slightly harsh, overall both cars feel and handle very tight and nice. On the freeway and good roads, the ride is smooth as butter. Well almost :cool:. Surprisingly quiet too.

From time to time I do hear a small squeak or two from somewhere up front but it's really not bad at all. IMHO, its a small price to pay for the huge improvement in handling and overall feel.

Something else you may want to consider: using poly bushings will most likely accentuate any pre-existing rattles, loose or ill-fitting parts, etc. For example, the driver's side window on my burgundy '78 is a little loose on its track, so that's sometimes more noticeable.

Think of it as an additional incentive to fix all those little things like that!

Mike....Definitely go poly (IMO). Just make sure when installing the bushings that you coat them with silicon grease, otherwise they will squeak on you. The poly on the rear inner control arms will also help eliminate the dreaded rear clunk!

• 2 weeks later...
:P I have the red poly bushings on my 71 240Z. Also have lowering springs and Koni D racing shocks set on the number 4 setting. It rides a lot harder then the stock version. But it also out performs the stock version by miles. The noise isn't that bad (I also do not have any interior in it). But everyone has their own taste and likes. So look at all of the information out there and make your own decision. You do have to apply a good coating of the poly grease when installing the bushings. I went so far as to drill and install grease fittings into most of the bushings. It helps a lot to keep the noise down. Good Luck, Rich.:classic:

It's funny how most of the people who recommend poly are from warm weather states. Keep in mind that road quality in the areas you drive will determine if poly is the way to go. I have full poly in my '78 and it is fantastic on smooth roads, but horrible on beat up Michigan roads. We have some of the worst roads in the US and I have to be very carefull when I'm on roads that I don't drive everyday. On the roads that I do regularly drive, I know EVERY pothole, manhole cover, frost heave and patch. On any given day, I drive in the same lane and follow the same weaving pattern to avoid the nasty stuff. My car really hates frost heaves. Any sudden wheel input will rock my car. I don't know how your Montreal roads are, but if they are anything like Detroit's roads, I would go with rubber unless you are really willing to trade off ride for handling. New rubber will be way better than old rubber and will still make your Z tollerable on bad roads.

When I take my Z on a road trip and cross the Ohio line, I am in heaven. My Z responds beautifully and does a great job on rolling roads and small bumps. The minute I cross back into Michigan, I wonder why I installed poly, but more often than not, kick myself for ever moving to this crappy state with it's horrible roads.

Jeff, I never thought of that. I've been following the poly vs. rubber debates for awhile. I already ordered a set of Energy black poly bushings for the whole car, but I could always mix 'n match or go to rubber if need be. Montreal roads are just like Toronto roads. Come spring, theres a ton of potholes from the constant freeze/thaw effect.

...but horrible on beat up Michigan roads. We have some of the worst roads in the US...

Not to rub salt in your wounds, but I frequently drive to Detroit on business, and I agree, Michigan has to have some of the worst road conditions in the Midwest.

The Michigan DOT always blames it on the weather, but I don't understand how the weather can change that radically at the state line. You don't suppose that it has something to do with the lack of overall weight restrictions on trucks in Michigan do you? ;)

Entering Michigan from either Ohio, or Indiana, if you are riding in a car reading or working on a notebook computer, you can actually feel the change without having to look up from what you are doing. And I94 (the Ditch as the locals call it) is horrible. It is like a badly maintained county road. I don't know how people who have to drive on that road every day keep their cars operational.

I feel your pain, usually at least three or four times a year.

So to bring us back on subject...:nervous: consider the local terrain before deciding to switch to poly bushings. If you drive mostly on poorly maintained roads you might not want to go that direction.

We have one of the highest gas tax rates in the country, yet the worst roads. Just yesterday, I saw a guy get a flat tire from a chunk of pavement that had broken loose and was sitting on top of the roadway. I kid you not, the chunk was close to two feet square and a foot thick. Every day, I see potholes that are 8-10" deep with vertical walls. We have had times when they had to close bridges because the potholes were going all the way through and debris was falling on cars below.

Michigan allows trucks to carry more weight than any other state. Many times, those trucks are full of trash coming over from Canada. Yep, it's cheaper to drive it across the border and dump it here than dump it in a country with vast amounts of wilderness.

Ohio has the same if not worse weather and their roads are not bad at all. Also, we have more dirt roads than any other state. There are still dirt roads here right in the middle of very dense suburbs. I'm not talking farm land, I'm talking in cities! I really don't know where they hide all the road funds, but someone's getting rich!

I laugh when people from Texas, or Florida whine about how bad their roads are. They would only have to come to Detroit once and they would never complain again.

Sorry to rant. Bottom line, if your roads are good, go poly, if not, weigh the options carefully before choosing.

Edited by Jeff G 78

I feel sorry for the MI roads...

Moved from straight bumpy MI roads to smooth curvy forest roads nearby Paris ;)

The Z is very happy here. First time I smile in a car driving it because of my feelings.

Poly bushings are the garage ready to be installed this year ;)

I also moved from 17" wheels with 215/45-17 tires to 15" wheels with 225/50-15. The ride is definitely softer and less crisp than before but the car is now more balanced and confortable (if I can say so...)

Edited by Lazeum

You guys think michigan roads are bad? you havent seen manila(Phil) roads, they are for the most part the absolute pits! I hope you MI drivers feel better now! :D The only place you can run your z or most any other fast sportscar would be our expressways (maybe our version of the turnpike?). POLY- Great sharp handling, but noisy on bad roads(i got em on my 924 but drive only on select roads and keep it lubed). RUBBER- Not as sharp handling but quieter on bad roads. your choice. Good luck!

• 8 months later...
Doing a complete refresh/restore of a 73 this winter. Project is being done by a restoration shop owned by a highly skilled/experienced/knowledgeable car passionate. This Z will be my primary week end ride next summer. Everthing is going great so far and level of service and workmanship is first class. Wish to have all bushings replace by poly bushing (Black dragon #62-455). I am being told by the restore shop that unless i plan to race the car this type of mod is not worth the money spend and will actually discomfort/harsh my ride to an unpleasant point for my 47 year old body... Any help/comment appreciated.

Did go with the poly bushings. Ride response is great but the more than frequent SQUEAKKKKK are killing me.

i6xn47.gif