IGNORED

Series 1 Engine Paint Plan - Details Please

JohnnyO

OK. I'm getting a little confused. I am posting some pictures below. Let me know if you see something "odd".

Thanks' date='

John[/quote']

John, the only major thing that i see is you have an E-88 head. It should be an E-31 originally. The engine does appear to have the correct earliest oil pan, blue paint overspray on all of the places you would expect originally, and the back housing plate of the air pump should be painted black, just can tell in your picture if it is black or gray.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I am currently looking for an e31 head that is either ready to install or a good candidate for resurfacing. I also need an exhaust manifold and the alternator is a remanufactured Nissan one. Someone mentioned "grapefruit" alternator. Not sure what they meant by that.

The back of my air pump is a dark gray but it is not painted, that was how it looked after I blasted it.

I know that the blue on the block is not original. Can you tell from the pics if it looks "close"?

John

Someone mentioned "grapefruit" alternator. Not sure what they meant by that.

Here is the back of an early "grapefruit" alternator on an 11/69 production car. The rounded triangle cut outs in back look like grapefruit sections.

-Mike

post-9102-14150805744538_thumb.jpg

Is that the 69 you just picked up? Needs a good cleaning' date=' huh?[/quote']

Yep, that is the one from #210. You mean the oil and grease was not the original finish?:D Yeah, the engine bay needs a good cleaning, but it has almost all the original early parts.

-Mike

Yeah, the engine bay needs a good cleaning, but it has almost all the original early parts.

-Mike

I was pretty lucky when I found mine. It was very clean, actually, the pictures above of the engine show how it was when I pulled it. I have not cleaned it yet. Then engine bay was in great shape too. The only issue in there was an exhaust leak where the header bolts to the pipe. This "burned" the paint under the master vac. Really not an issue as I plan on stripping the bay.

Be sure to post some pics when the weather gets warm enough to blast 210.

Thanks Dan' date='

I am currently looking for an e31 head that is either ready to install or a good candidate for resurfacing. I also need an exhaust manifold and the alternator is a remanufactured Nissan one. Someone mentioned "grapefruit" alternator. Not sure what they meant by that.

The back of my air pump is a dark gray but it is not painted, that was how it looked after I blasted it.

I know that the blue on the block is not original. Can you tell from the pics if it looks "close"?

John[/quote']

The grapefuit alternator is the earliest which only put out 45 amps. The back of the alternator housing had sections cut out in a radial pattern that resembled grapefruit sections. Do a search and I am sure you will find pics from Kats and 26th-z of this alternator.

The blue does not look that close,to me,to the factory color. The factory blue really makes a big difference and is quite noticable if you want to maintain total originality.

Are you going for 100% originality?

Dan

Edit: I guess I'm a little slow on the reply. Y'all beat me by miles.

Edited by AZ-240z

Here is the back of an early "grapefruit" alternator on an 11/69 production car. The rounded triangle cut outs in back look like grapefruit sections.

-Mike

Hey Mike,

Does the alternator you pictured have a part number engraved into the housing? There were actually two grapefruit alternators, one for the L20 and one for the L24 with different part numbers. I think that #210 could be a gold mine of originality info. Standby for being pestered by me.

In your picture, you show that little oil press. sending unit wiring minder which is bolted to front engine mount. Would you, or anyone, happen to have an extra one of these little minder hooks available for sale?

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I couldn't resist with such a good picture and opportunity.

I'm going to go Stand In The Corner for a while, now!

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z