IGNORED

Well, I wound up with another low VIN Z...

Mike B

Hi Mike,

Did I tell you a Z432 tank has not a return pipe?

Here is my -E4200/Z432 tank, see no return pipe.

kats

Interesting Kats. I didn't know that. Notice how the area around the pipe for the fuel line to front of the car looks to be patched and welded in place. Do you think they cut out the area on a 240Z tank (maybe Fairlady Z too) and converted it for use in the Z432?

-Mike

Hi Mike,

I did not think about it, you gave me an interesting point of view.

You did not mean my Z432 tank was modified by some one after left from factory , right?

You mean in the factory assembly line of the fuel tank, they cut E4100 and patched one pipe version for E4200, right?

My tank is relatively Early, not for sure the date.Unfortunately a date stamp is now covered by black paint when it was restored 2 years ago.I will scratch new paint tenderly,I hope the stamp is still there.

I guess my tank could have 12/69 stamp on it.I guess in the assembly line, they did not know other method of making a Z432 tank in early days.

But they could have a new pre-assembled Z432 non-return pipe tank later.

I want to see later Z432 tank like 1971 to 1973.These tank might not have a patched area.I guess.

And Mike,did you notice metal press-pattern under the spare tire is different between these two tanks.

kats

You mean in the factory assembly line of the fuel tank, they cut E4100 and patched one pipe version for E4200, right?

Yes, that was what I meant.

My tank is relatively Early, not for sure the date.Unfortunately a date stamp is now covered by black paint when it was restored 2 years ago.I will scratch new paint tenderly,I hope the stamp is still there.

No need to try to remove the paint to check on your stamp. It would probably very difficult, to try to remove only the top layer of paint and not also remove the stamp anyway.

And Mike,did you notice metal press-pattern under the spare tire is different between these two tanks.

No, I did not notice that. That leads me to believe my theory about modifying the tank was not correct, since the stamping is different. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also notice that my tank has a patched area on the other side (see highlighted area in red).

I also have a spare tank from another 11/69 car. I will take a look at it tomorrow to see if it is the same as the one from HLS30-00210 that I posted pictures of in this thread.

-Mike

Mike,

yeah,I saw the new found patched area,what is it for?

In Japan, 1969 Z432 is still around, at least 5 Z432s I can see personaly.

But 1969 Z and Z-L, I do not think they are many exist.I could say no 1969 Z and Z-L exist nowadays.

So, if Mike did not post 1969 -E4100 tank,I would never seen the 1969 tank for Z and Z-L. Thanks.

And please see this,the slide film(same as a service manual) show the tank has a different position of send/return pipes.This is uniqe.

kats

post-3193-14150806744163_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
One of the things I want to do is a side by side comparison of the original carpet set (made by Chester and Herod) to the reproduction sets I had made by them this spring.

-Mike

Mike,

Very nice find indeed!!!

I'm very interested to hear the results of your comparison between the original C&H carpet and the reproduction sets you got from them. Your thoughts about the overall quality and fit of the carpet kits they are now offering would also be most appreciated.

Michael

Mike,

Very nice find indeed!!!

I'm very interested to hear the results of your comparison between the original C&H carpet and the reproduction sets you got from them. Your thoughts about the overall quality and fit of the carpet kits they are now offering would also be most appreciated.

Michael

Thanks. I never did get around to the side by side comparison pictures of the original and Chester and Herod set yet, but I was VERY happy with it. I think it is the most original set you can get for an early car. There is a lot of information and pictures of the carpet they made for me in this other thread f http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29317&highlight=chester+herod&page=6 (staring with post #127).

While I am at it, I should give an update on #210. I got the car running this summer after slowly getting it ready. Unfortunately, it has a leaking head gasket, so I will need to replace that. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the engine bay and got the brakes working again by replacing the leaking master cylinder and redoing the rear brakes and hoses. I removed the damaged hood, headlight buckets, grill and front valance. My original plan was to get the car drivable again and then have it repainted in a year or two, but now I am leaning towards just pulling the engine and stripping the car and having it painted sometime this year. Here are a couple of pictures of the engine bay after I cleaned it up and put on an early non-emissions balance tube, crank pulley and air cleaner.

-Mike

John,

I used black POR-15 on the exterior of the tank, then I top coated it with "Blackcote" (PORs glossy black topcoat). Someone with a very nice Z car collection told me that the mounting straps are supposed to be semi-gloss so I top coated them with PORs "Chassiscoat Black". Although you see so little of the straps after the tank is mounted I wouldn't worry about that. Here is the thread with before and after pictures. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34476. It mainly shows the tank from my 72, which I did at the same time. I think they came out great. I need to do the tanks for my other two cars next summer after it warms up again.

-Mike

Mike' date='

In an earlier post you were wondering whether or not to paint your fuel tank gloss black or por-15.

What did you decide and how did it turn out?

John[/quote']

Look'n good, Mike. BTW 95th went to a retired machinist in Canada who didn't think the welding work was too big of a hassle. The same guy who bought #793, I think.

Thanks Chris. Its still got a long way to go, but its complete, original, and about as rust free as they get. Its good to know that #95 went to someone not afraid to try to save it.

-Mike