IGNORED

Well, I wound up with another low VIN Z...

Mike B

Thanks for all the kind comments guys. This car was just too original and rustfree to pass up.

WOW!! Do you feel like some kind of treasure hunter or something? Get yourself one of those Indiana Jones hats and a whip, so you look the part.:classic: What a find! It must be like an adventure just looking it over, studying the details. Congrats on what I bet was the deal of the year, Christmas came early for you Mike!

Yeah, to borrow sblake01's phrase, I feel a bit like a "Datsunologist" looking at this car. I think I did get the deal of the year, but the guy I bought it from got the deal of the century. Makes you wonder what else is sitting around waiting to be discovered in garages around the world.

You see...there is a Santa after all.

Wonder what happened to the dip stick?

What is the decal on the firewall, close to the heater hoses?

The dipstick is still there, just a little difficult to see from that angle. The decal on the firewall was apparently put on when a set of Gabriel struts were installed on 11-20-84.

I'm looking forward to slowly going through the rest of the car. One of the things I want to do is a side by side comparison of the original carpet set (made by Chester and Herod) to the reproduction sets I had made by them this spring.

-Mike

The question about the dipstick reminded me that I have noticed that the dipsticks on the 1969 production cars are longer and have a different number than the one that came on an early 1971 parts car I had. I was curious when the change over was and why they would go to a shorter version.

Interesting...I just checked my 11/69 USA & Canada Parts Catalog and it shows the dipstick (Gauge-Oil Level) with a part # of 11140-E3000. However, the 12/73 version of the same catalog starts with part #11140-E3001 and then goes to #11140-E3002 with no application dates.

-Mike

Edited by Mike B
added parts catalog info

What did you use to clean those caps? Details please....

First I washed them with soap and hot water. I just used some fine steel wool on the backs to remove the brake dust (I left the areas around the date stamps alone). On the front painted sections, I used some wax and grease remover and then used System One cutting polish with some low speed buffing. These are probably the best condition used caps I have seen, so they were easy to clean up and almost look like a NOS set now.

-Mike

So, does anyone else have a dipstick with the number E3000 on it, like the picture in post #15 above? I'm curious if this is another very early part (since it is removed from the later catalog) or if later 1970 cars have them too.

Also, I just checked the accelerator pedal on #210 and it still has the original plastic grommet at the top for the hand throttle, just like #32 did. The throttle must have been cut out at the port or by the dealer.

-Mike

I'll add a little bit (of confusion) to the oil dipstick portion of this thread.

My 7-73's dipstick is 15 1/2 inches long and has E3002 stamped on the back side of the stick with the numbers between the L and H marks. The numbers can not be seen if oil level is full.

HLS30-00110's (12-69) dipstick (this car now has a L26 in it) is 17 9/16 inches long and has the number E3000 stamped on the front side and above the H (full) mark. This stick could be a left over from the L26 swap from the original L24 like the intakes, carbs and balance tube.

Engine #4621's (estimate 2-70) dipstick (just aquired this engine) is 15 7/16 inches long and has the number E3001 stamped on the front side and above the H (full) mark.

My 68 Roadster's dipstick is 16 3/8 inches long and has the number 12201 etched (not forged stamped as the 3 above) above the H (full) mark.

Also on #110 there is a 2 inch bracket welded to the upper firewall in line with the throttle linkage that looks like it could have something to do with the hand throttle, of course the 73 does not have this bracket.

Bonzi Lon