Jump to content

IGNORED

Seat breather holes?


Recommended Posts


Speaking about that, did there ever come fabric as a original option for the middle of 240Z seats?

Mine is fabric and without holes.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
Speaking about that, did there ever come fabric as a original option for the middle of 240Z seats?

Mine is fabric and without holes.

Chris

No, all of the 240Z seats were made of vinyl. The ones with fabric in the middle (or the entire seat cover) are aftermarket replacements.

-Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
No, all of the 240Z seats were made of vinyl. The ones with fabric in the middle (or the entire seat cover) are aftermarket replacements.

-Mike

I would also prefere vinyl, it looks more original even that fabric is nicer to sit on.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
Can you post some pictures of them?

-Mike

Yes Yes! I have a guy selling seats and saying they are 100% original from a 240z but they have NO holes. ???????????????????????????????

Hmmmmmmmmm

Link to post
Share on other sites

This beggs the question, did dealers with upholstery issues and a shortage of cars(not to mention seat parts) have damaged seats corrected to the best of the local upholstery shops ability(with out vents) before being put on the show room floor and sold?

Or is this just another case of Nissan not updating part numbers as suppliers changed parts?

Will

Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to the confusion...When I bought HLS30-00110 it had a black interior and NO breather holes in the seats, which I knew it should of had. Upon further examination behind the headliner and upper window vinyl there was evidence of the interior being blue, all the interior had been painted black. I knew right there the seat covers had been blue and replaced with aftermarket ones that DID NOT have the breather holes.

Bonzi Lon

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 12 years later...

I was just looking at HLS30-08215 and it does not have the vents in the seats.  It sticks in my mind that the early cars did not have them.  Can someone help elaborate on this?   @Carl Beck @KatZ @HS30-H  or others, maybe one of you have details.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, texasz said:

I was just looking at HLS30-08215 and it does not have the vents in the seats.  It sticks in my mind that the early cars did not have them.  Can someone help elaborate on this?   @Carl Beck @KatZ @HS30-H  or others, maybe one of you have details.

I think we can agree the 300K plus BaT 240Z (VIN: HLS30 04684) is a competent example in which to draw originality conclusions from.

21k-Mile 1971 Datsun 240Z Series I

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 73 is missing the vents, which I assume were there originally, and seats were redone.

I'd like to recover and put them back, maybe the foam too.  Yeah, Miata or Integra seats would be better, but going for original look.

Seen some older threads, but any recent experience, good or bad,  with seat cover kits out there?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, texasz said:

I was just looking at HLS30-08215 and it does not have the vents in the seats.  It sticks in my mind that the early cars did not have them.  

The early cars had seat vents and they burned your back when the car sat in the sun which is why aftermarket seats don't have vents.

I am one of apparently few that DOES NOT agree on the originality of the BAT car.  Take the picture of the seats for instance.  See the gap between the seat cushion and the seat back?  Shouldn't be there.  Common recovering mistake.  Very nice car and a very well done restoration, but the car is NOT 'original'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My series 1 original seats had the vents and so did my 73. I did replace with seats from a 77 and leather from Interior Innovations and am quite pleased with the result.

Here's the thread I did on this back in 2018;

Leather Seats - Interior - The Classic Zcar Club (classiczcars.com)

IMG_20180717_204142491.jpg

Edited by w3wilkes
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

The early cars had seat vents and they burned your back when the car sat in the sun which is why aftermarket seats don't have vents.

I am one of apparently few that DOES NOT agree on the originality of the BAT car.  Take the picture of the seats for instance.  See the gap between the seat cushion and the seat back?  Shouldn't be there.  Common recovering mistake.  Very nice car and a very well done restoration, but the car is NOT 'original'.

I don't agree about the gap between the seat back and seat cushion not being there. The amount of gap definitely depends on the seat angle and the angle you are looking from. Here is a picture of the original seats from my 7/70 car #6521. the LH seat has been redone but the RH seat is completely original. In the picture the seat back on the LH seat is set more forward making the gap larger from this viewing angle.

20200425_063714.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanTechZ said:

In the picture the seat back on the LH seat is set more forward making the gap larger from this viewing angle.

I'm confused about your LH and RH designation. The non-vented seat with the larger gap is RH as we look at them in the picture. I will say that my own experience after recovering my seats that the gap is bigger than it was with the original seat covers. On the green car with tan the gap looks to be original to me since it is much smaller than the gap in my seats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

I'm confused about your LH and RH designation. The non-vented seat with the larger gap is RH as we look at them in the picture. I will say that my own experience after recovering my seats that the gap is bigger than it was with the original seat covers. On the green car with tan the gap looks to be original to me since it is much smaller than the gap in my seats.

I am referring to actual LH and RH seats as you would be sitting in them, ie my left or your left.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could remember why this it is stuck in the back of my brain that there was something with the early cars vs later ones and having/not having vents.  Maybe just poor memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.