IGNORED

Rear sway bars on a '72 240Z?

alhbln

In the USA, 1973 and some very late 1972 240Zs had the anti-roll bar brackets welded onto the rear subframe on the chassis but no anti-roll bar installed from the factory. Sometime during the 1974 260Z model run the anti-roll bars got installed.

The BRE/Mulholland/Suspension Techniques kit pictures above is an aftermarket setup that positions the anti-roll bar behind the diff. This is generally a better design especially if your car is lowered more then 2". The factory rear anti-roll bar position can bind at the end links and/or hit the subframe on heavily lowered S30s. Notching the subframe and modifying the end links (going to rod ends) can solve these problems.

Strange, my '73 came with a factory rear swaybar. Brackets are spot welded to the frame rails in front of the swingarms. I guess it was owner installed by a PO.

I have a late '73 build date 8/73 and it has the brackets also. I just looked for a early '74 for a bar. They have a sway bar that is not straight where it crosses past the Diff. the later '74 and those after are straight and will not clear. I just used the OEM rubber on mine. All the end links are the same. I use rubber only because of the road noise with the Polly. To the best of my knowledge the '74 was the first to have a rear Sway bar , at least in the U.S. Gary

My 73 has a stock suspension, with recent struts. I only drive it on the street, but I'm not happy with the way it leans when cornering. Since I have the mountings, I'm now considering putting on a rear sway bar. Any thoughts on whether it'll make much difference? It seems like an easier and cheaper option than upgrading the springs and struts, and I'm only looking for a little improvement anyway...

I had to add the rear sway bar to my 72 240Z. Mine had no brackets but there is

a mounting hole in the tranverse link. I installed the MSA sway bars in front and back.

I don't have much road experience due to no door hardware or windshield.

Seats get installed today.

Not just a Z - ZDisease

My 70' came to me with the Aftermarket kit already installed but it had rubber so I replaced them with Urethane and urethane end links. Just improving on the improvements.

My Early 74' (2/74') came with what appears to be a Stock rear sway bar with the usual rubber equipment.

Where do I get the front Urethane brackets for my 25mm upgrade for the 260Z?? Anyone?

first are the 240Z and the second 2 are the 260Z

post-4921-14150805209803_thumb.jpg

post-4921-141508052103_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150805210659_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150805211524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

My 73 has a stock suspension, with recent struts. I only drive it on the street, but I'm not happy with the way it leans when cornering. Since I have the mountings, I'm now considering putting on a rear sway bar. Any thoughts on whether it'll make much difference? It seems like an easier and cheaper option than upgrading the springs and struts, and I'm only looking for a little improvement anyway...

A 19mm rear bar will work wonders when coupled with the front sway bar. You might want to think about apgrading the front to a 23 or 25mm while you're at it. And Please use the Urethenae Bushings when you do the upgrade(s). You won't be sorry.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I'll try the rear bar. I'm a little worried about upgrading the front, as I've read other threads where they say putting too big of sway bars on these old cars can cause the frame to separate, unless you reinforce it.

Matt