IGNORED

Dash Bulbs - We've covered this before...

mikewags

I can't get the wing nuts off my tach and speedo in my 73, so I couldn't get the instruments out. I need to find someone with small hands, but really strong fingers to break those wingnuts free. Maybe they make a wing nut tool that would fit on your socket wrench?

i had one car like that. i WAS able to get a regular pair of pliers up there for the tach wing nuts. for the upper speedo wing nut, i fit a size 14-16mm socket over it and truned it out on a Rube Goldberg inspired-ratchet-extension-u-joint-plier setup...or something...

the 73FSM even says 'use pliers' to crack the wing nuts off......(jerks)

I don't have a dash cover, and I have big hands (i'm 6'3) ....

:)..i'm 6'7" (yes, i do fit in my Z very well) BUT have VERY LONG skinny hands. biggest challenge was doing a windshield wiper motor WITHOUT taking the armatures out. anyone who's tried this one knows how far you have to reach under the motor to get the retaining nut off/on. long hands/fingers are bonus for doing door handles too! LOL LOL

I wasn't talking about the car vibrating and shaking the wingnuts loose....when I hit bumps, sometimes the light bulb holders that go into the back of the gauge are coming loose enough that the little brass contact is losing it's connection with the back of the gauge, and the light goes out. If I reach back there with a long screwdriver for the speedo light, or with my hand for the rest of them, I can usually get them working again until I hit another big bump somewhere and there go the gauge lights again. I still have my center stuff out so I can reach back there....not putting it back in until I get the light issue solved. If someone has any suggestions about how to get the light holders to stay in, I'd appreciate it.

Greg

From what I could see it looks like it is just a round hole in the back of the gauge, and the bulb holders don't turn to lock in at all....but I'll have to look at my extra dash again. When the bulb holders are all the way in and the lights are working, you can turn the holder all the way around and still have the lights work.....or not.

Greg